August 2020 Challenge - Write Every Day!

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Day 7 -- 527 on the prequel although it's the 6th book in the series. I wanted to see if her POV would work with me and it did! I am so in love with her character and her story.

Day 8 -- 675 on Apocalypse Stoppers I left with Joshua-Gabe not getting in trouble with the head of the group he works for. Instead she helped him find a birthday present for his little sister.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Had to make a lightning trip to TX to look after family, so I’m rewriting an old short and brougtt He my mystery along to edit. One page done today.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
DAY 8.....899 words. Had to stop to re-plan the next two chapters. So much the characters needs to learn in such little time. This is why villains monologue. ;)

ChaseJxyz-- That sounds so cool. I love it when characters realize stuff like that. Also, go anti-heroes.
Second Moon-- Glad you like her.

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
I’m a numpty and forgot to post yesterday, even though I had it written out … ANYWAY:

Second Moon: Yay for being in love!

Taylor: Great effort getting revision done on top of family stuff.

starry: Excellent work!

Hey Cindy! Great to have you back :)

WGough: Great job with ongoing revisions.

Carrie: Great job! Do you plan in advance or are you just waiting to see where the story takes you?

Layla: Yay for words and crafting—and almond biscuits sound lovely :)

Keithy: Glad the painting is done :) I think if that sort of thing happened in libraries people would read a lot more.

Chase: Nice wordage!

Animad: Wooft, great job!

I added 200 odd words to the shiny WIP, and went back through older stuff. I know I need to add in a scene but I don’t know what it looks like yet. I'm also trying to savour the last day of my semi-holiday before returning to the demon hellbeast Book 3 tomorrow :cry:

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Second moon – lots of words there 1K+, all good.
Taylor – hope the family is OK.
Starrystorm – villains and their monologues! Yikes. Nearly 900 words too.
April – ah, I’m sure that demon hellbeast is quite friendly when you get to know him.
Chase – that’s a huge pile of words, well done.

My progress today:

Read a couple of chapters of Demon Hunter. I like most of what I’ve read.

Non-writing:

Mowed the back lawn and tidied the house a bit more. Exhausted now, and a busy week to come.

Last edited:

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
Second Moon: Good progress, I think it's cool that you're juggling multiple projects like that
Taylor: A page is more than no pages! I hope things go well with your family
Starry: Good job on 900 words
April: Not knowing what a scene looks like yet is such a big mood
Layla: I hope your skip day was restful
Keithy: That sounds like some good research
Cindyt: I hope your internet gets restored soon!

413 of main file + 1,191 of stuff for later in the chapter for a total of 1,604. It's the start of a new chapter and things aren't going too well; I think I need to put more thought into what exactly happens (the outline I have for it is very vague, and sometimes this gets me good ideas but not this time around). The later stuff is the mentor character recalling when he got [power] and how traumatic it was. He's tasked with teaching MC [power] so she stands a fighting chance against [villain] so he needs​ to teach her, but he also doesn't want to have her go through what he did.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Chase, Keithy. Family is doing ok. I’ve gotten a total of three and a half pages done so far on the rewrite. It’s a sad story that’s taking me to a dark place but I have to write it. Might do some editing on the mystery too.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Day 9--- 219 words on Apocalypse Stoppers. Depression hit hard, so that's all I got. I also updated my notes for Apocalypse Stoppers

April - Sound like it was a good vacation if you're gonna miss being there.

Keithy - I bet your lawn looks great now, though.

Cindy - good job

Chase - I find it easy to juggle multiple WIPs for some reason.

Taylor - Thank goodness your family is okay.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
DAY 9-- Nothing. Just more plotting and trying to figure out plot holes. At least I'm figuring this stuff out now.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
(Patty waves and runs away again, calling over her shoulder, "Things are happening, I promise, but I'm not ready to write an update yet!")

WGough

Registered
Reaction score
Day 10: Finished revising Chapter 6, summarized Chapter 7.

The Second Moon: Way to conquer the page!

Taylor: Nice progress.

starrystorm: Plotting is not nothing. Congrats!

Woollybear: Good to see you!

ChaseJxyz: Amazing word count. Interesting summary!

Cindyt: Way to check in!

Keithy: Busy day. I'll take some Victorian crime book recommendations if you've got 'em.

April: Savor Demon Hellbeast. Sounds delicious!

Have a great week, everybody!

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
keithy, nice keeping at it
congrats on the 347 Cindy
Chase, nice work with that 1191
Taylor, good work with the 3.5 pages
Moon, much feels. Congrats on those words
Patty (woolly…) Layla waves back!
Gough, wtg! Done with 6, on to 7 :)

Aug 10

WIP - added words
R/SC - chores, errands
BP/$$ - two housemate message on a paid service; some re-training on GIMP (April!)

Last edited:

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Chase – excellent 1604 words, good to get those words down and go “phew!” at the end of a day.
Second moon – 219 is good when you’re struggling.
Starrystorm – thinking and planning – necessary evils in our trade.
Wooly – hello!

Dustworld: 808 words.

Read some more of Demon Hunter. Again, minor issues.

Non-writing.

Shopping wearing a face mask is getting tiresome. It’s like walking around with the prow of a boat in front of you, and I’m constantly worried that I’ll trip on something because it restricts my vision.

Last edited:

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
Not a good mental health day, so 0 words. I did discover, tho, that I'm at the PTO cap for dayjob so I might take a week or so off once the busy season ends so I can just write (cause it's not like there's anything else I can do with it).

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Cindyt: Nice count!

Take good care, Chase.

Keithy: Great job all round. Rodney must be quite the catch!

Layla: Good luck with GIMP! I’m afraid to say I gave up months ago …

WGough: Yay for continued revisions! I’ll pay you to do mine.

Hey Patty!

starry: Plotting and figuring stuff out isn’t nothing :)

Second Moon: Sadly my holiday location was my sofa with my playstation, given the ole global pandemic. But it was fun while it lasted! Sorry to hear you had a bad day; still, you got words on the page, which is a great achievement.

Taylor: Glad all is okay with the fam. Nice work with the rewrite.

I read through half of Book 3, making some edits as I went. There was one good chapter … the rest still need a lot of work. Oh the joys!

inspector

Registered
Reaction score
I wish I had found this thread earlier! This is the motivation I need hahaha I try to still join your goal of writing every day, but I’m quite busy at the moment and I also wanna enjoy the sunny weather before it gets colder and rainier…I actually love cold and rainy, stormy days, when you don’t even want to leave your home and you can write all day long! :D So for August, I try to write at least two or three times per week, which is already quite a lot due to all the work I have to do! :)

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Day 10--- 762 words. I left off with Joshua-Gabe being chased by a robotic training dummy.

Thank you everyone about wishing me better with my bad days.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
OK, I am getting back into the swing--my you have all been busy!!! I need to read and digest everyone's goings-on, and I see a few new names/faces which will be great to get to know. Also a reappearance of a few missed writing buddies, which is good to see, too.

At the end of July, when I finished the third complete read-through/draft of the manuscript (at my sister's house, far away from my home, a writing retreat of sorts) I compiled a list of things to work on next. That list is eighteen items long. Returning to California and (other things) has kept me busy for a couple weeks, but I'm now refreshed and ready to dive in.

So, today (it's not even 9 AM here yet), I want to knock off three of the easiest items. (1) Tucking in certain sensory details in Chapter 23, (2) compiling current metrics on the chapters, and (3) condensing and printing out two pages of notes that I made during draft three to review those, too. If I can get these three things knock off the list, it'll give me the gumption to start attacking the ore substantive items on the list of eighteen.

See you at the end of the day!

Last edited:

Animad345

Registered
Reaction score
I'm really sorry to hear that that you've been unwell starrystorm - I hope you feel better soon.

Day 11: 1,000 words.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Chase—Ah, the creative process. :) Why is it so much work? Good luck with your road bump.
Taylor—I didn’t realize you were writing a second piece. Kudos for that!
Second moon: I am sorry to hear about the depression. Here is a (((hug))). Joshua Gabe is on an adventure though, so that must be good.
Starrystorm—figuring out is a good thing! Keep up the work. Good luck with the sinus infection. Yuck! Pain. No good.
WGough: Good to see you too! Congrats on the progress.
Layla—so cool you are still plugging onward with all the things.
Keithy: the prince had better find out then.
Cindy—Modem Joy, sister, awesome!
April, LOL “There was one good chapter.” I’m sure there were many.
Inspector: Hi!
Animad: Well done on the words!

So I made the three changes I hoped to make today—it was literally like condensing notes into a print job, counting the words in each chapter, and then tucking in various sentences throughout different chapters as another thread of continuity in the story world.

Tomorrow I will break a secondary character’s leg and then pull him out of the subsequent chapters. His presence was problematic in the second half of the book. This is a medium sized edit, but it must be made so that the heroes can shine a little more strongly.