August 2020 Challenge - Write Every Day!

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
(You guys are awesome!!!

Still limping to September here but I want to wave a few pompoms for all your amazing work everyone!)

:e2cheer: :e2cheer: :e2cheer: :e2cheer: :e2cheer: :e2cheer:

Carrie

Registered
Reaction score
Ugh!

Great work everyone! I have written a total of 500 words this weekend and I have some sort of mental block. It’s an odd combination of emotions. I guess, if I had to put my finger on it, I am afraid to write the next scene!

I have decided to go easy on myself and leave it where it is for today, gets lots of sleep, and hit it tomorrow morning. I imagine I could force myself over this (and it may come to that) but right now I’m feeling a resistance that is very unusual, so I am paying attention. I don’t believe in writer’s block, per se, but I know that I have an easier and harder time with certain characters. This is a new character; it is her first scene and… it’s not pretty. So, I guess a little resistance is natural.

WoolyBear—Thanks for the pompoms!

April—Good work on revisions and seeing when a scene is off the tracks! It sucks when it happens but it’s better than wasting more time. And I hope you enjoyed your musing. 😊

WGough—Nice word count!

Animad—Nice word count for you too! (Now I’m getting jealous.)

Icedesparado—SUPER work! (Officially jealous.)

Cindyt—What is a floating desk?!

Chase—Nice work! And I say, get inspiration where you can get it! I am continuing to consume Irvin Yalom books on his psychotherapy practice. I just started his memoir which he wrote at 85. I’ve no idea why this is resonating so strongly with me right now but, fortunately, it isn’t my job to figure that out!

See you all on Monday!

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
DAY29-- Finally got back into writing. 864

See ya in September!

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
DAY 30-- It's getting late, so I'll stop now. 1,070 words.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Cindy – good luck with the editing, the many words, and the tats.
Second moon –ditto.
ChaseJ – nice 944words there, busy busy.
April –happy musing!
Animad – you’re on fire too! 
Starrystorm – in the 1K club there.

Everyone else who did something – well done.

Problems solved on Demon Hunter: Saturday 12 and Sunday 25. I'm getting into the harder problems. :(

icedesperado

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, friends! Everyone is so kind and supportive here. :)

Layla: yay for doing all the things!
Keithy: at least you solved some problems!
Starry: Not sure if we've met before. Hello! Congrats on 1070!
Carrie: I always find it tough to write the first couple scenes of a character. Good for you for paying attention to that resistance though.
Woolly: I can't believe it's almost September already. You've got this!

Day 30
1,057 words

I am sooo close to entering the third act. If work doesn't overwhelm me this week (it's going to be a long one, so we'll see), it could even be in the next few days.

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
quick in-n-out since it's almost 11:30 here:
29+30th: 1,946 words. I forgot to take a note of what the count was end of 29th/start of 30th oops. Finished another chapter and then I have just this one left and then we can get the last quarter done! Also I'm pretty sure I got sunburned working today, I didn't even think of sunscreen because I didn't think of how I would be outside all day today. We'll see how mad my skin is tomorrow

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
Day 30

Word count 724

Research:

• Part of a cassette recorder that you put the cassette in. Chamber.
  • When did cassette tapes become obsolete? 2002
  • FBI shootout with two killers in Miami. I wanted Billy to compare it with one going down on Brickell Avenue. Alas, the real one didn’t happen until 1986. Naturally.

Dress Her in Chameleon - Edited Chapter 54 and transferred it to another dock.

A Deadly Spill of Scarlet - Formated Chapters 8 and 9. About the tats: I describe them as needed. For instance, Carolina notices the ones on his hands first. That’s all she can see because he’s wearing a duster. She sees the arms the next day. And his chest on the beach two or three days later. I left Billy in the Wolverine’s office at DEADco, where he has reactivated. He feels as if he has sold his soul to the company, but he’ll do anything, including laying down his life, to protect Carolina. He and SAC Wolverine are fixing to compare knowledge about the Lolita disappearance. There will be surprises for both. That is mostly editing to compliment what has gone down so far in the second draft.

ice - Thank you! Nice word counts!

Moon - It’s nice when details pop back into your memory. Congrats of the the word count!

Gough- Nice word count, and congrats on finishing the scene.

April - Good luck on that scene!

Keithy - Congrats on solving the problems.

Layla - WTG on all the things.

Carrie - A floating desk is one that is mounted on the wall instead of sitting on the floor. When their back is mounted against a wall facing a door, it truly does look as if they are floating. That isn‘t feasible for my office because it has two walls of glass. My desk hangs from the ceiling.

The Our Town blog piece was a monster hit with a bullet. I mean it broke all records. I’m beside myself.

Last edited:

Animad345

Registered
Reaction score
Day 31 - 533 words. Where has this month gone?

See you guys in the September thread!

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Icedesperado - in the 1K club!
Chase - oh, getting sunburned is horrible. Well done with that 1946.
April - you done good!
Cindy - well done with your 724 and cassette tape research.
Second Moon - over 1K too, well done.
Animad - 533 is a goodly total. Yeah, September beckons.

I solved 8 problems on Demon Hunter today. The issues are getting more complicated and need more work to fix, but there’s only about 40-odd left.

Non-writing

There’s lots of furniture and stuff needing to be moved. Probably best not to resume work on Dustworld for another week so I can spend what time I have on Demon Hunter.

See you all in September

Carrie

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings!

Keithy—You have my admiration for continuing to write in the midst of house renovation!

Second Moon—Nice work on the short story!

CindtyT—Thanks for the explanation! A floating desk sounds rather awesome—except I expect there are no drawers. That would be hard for me!

April—You totally win! Congrats!

Icedesparado—Anticipation is good for the soul.

Not a fantastic day but I broke 700 words and got out of my little conundrum. I also tallied my words for the year (fiction and my column) and realized I had just hit 200K since January. That made me happy. Sometimes it’s good to take a look back and see how far I’ve traveled in the last few months. I’ll see you on the September page!

icedesperado

Registered
Reaction score
OMG! It's the last day of August. Congrats to everyone on all your hard work! See you all in the September thread. (Aww, I'm gonna miss the August thread...)

Second Moon: 1k club, way to go!
Cindy: Congrats on your editing and your blog post!
Carrie: 200k since January is amazing!
Keithy: Great job problem-busting!

Day 31
1,340 words

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
April: Well you definitely wrote more than your goal for words! That's still awesome progress
Cindy: I'm glad your blog did so well! That has to be an awesome feeling
Second Moon: Lots of words and finishing a story, that's great!
Animad: Time has been so weird, but threads like this help me look back and see all the progress that was made.
Keithy: I hope you can find some calm in all the chaos of furniture moving
Carrie: 200k over 8 months! That's a little over 800 words/day. That's really impressive

31st: 2,562 words. I finished ch 32 and am now 3/4 done and hit my goal for the month! The MC has decided, you know what? screw this chosen one malarkey and being afraid of the villain and all that stuff, she's going to do what SHE wants which is just to live a nice, quiet life*, and she feels good about her situation for the first time in the story. I kept thinking of the Invictus poem which my roommate has framed and how much it really echoed the situation**. I also got to look up names for the Milky Way in other langauges/cultures to come up with some of my own; sadly "Way of Birds" is a great IRL name but would be a little too on-the-nose (beak?) for the birds to call it that. But I did one such idea for animals, since the great herds of megafauna do the north/south thing, too.

See you all in September!

*another one of my POV characters has that as his ultimate want, too, and every time I think of it I can't help but think of Yoshikage Kira and how that's what he also wanted

**all the POV characters (and also antagonists) want that being in control of their own fate/destiny thing, it's like a theme or something

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Day 31 - 460 words. Annnnd done!

Total = 23,659 words written* (Yes I went through this entire thread and calculated all my word counts)

*I scrapped three projects that I did work on, so...yeah...

inspector

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys! I didn't manage to write a little every day in August, but I managed to put a few pages together. But now I'm even more motivated for September and I've already sat down and written a few lines today. Later in the evening I will hopefully write a few more lines. And I hope that it will continue to go well throughout the whole month. I have already made a list and I want to achieve the goal I have set myself of writing a little bit every day. :D