Love between childhood acquaintances

Elenitsa

writing as Marina Costa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
caribbeandawn1720.jcink.net
I am not sure how one can fall in love at 25 with someone he had known from early childhood (let's say, for the younger girl, that he knows her since she was a baby, as he was 6 at that time). All right, let's assume he had been studying abroad for a few years (Uni or MA) and distance makes him see her all grown suddenly... but still.... I return and I see her, whom I know for a lifetime... and suddenly I fall in love with her, when before we had been only play buddies sometimes ? (I think his older sister might have had babysitted the girl at a certain time in the past).

Had anyone a similar experience? (Personal, heard around or read, but also understood?) I mean, I have heard such cases exist, but I don't understand how, I don't understand the mindset of the two new lovers.

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
Physical attraction can be powerful! And it can start the desire for a relationship, so as he starts to get to know her better, he can learn more about her and discover she's a more complex character than he first thought, or maybe some misconceptions he had about her previously are untrue.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know much about adult, but in YA this is a normal thing to read about. I wouldn't find it strange at all in a book.

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
There's fascination, too, in finding someone you used to know but you haven't seen for years, trying to find the person your remember while discovering who they are right now.

Add a dash of physical attraction, as ChaseJxyz says, and . . . boom.

Animad345

Registered
Reaction score
I feel like this isn't a rare thing to happen in the real world. When two people who were childhood friends meet again as adults, there can be that 'he/she is all grown up' reaction.

A fictional example I can think of is Christine and Raoul from The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux. They were childhood friends who meet again and fall in love. In the musical version of the novel, Raoul has a song with lyrics 'what a change, you're really not a bit the gawkish girl that once you were'.

Crack on with that story :)