#amquerying hashtag: recording rejections

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen a number of tweets where the author is querying (typically using the #amquerying hashtag) and they list out their rejections. Some will keep a running tally.

I understand the need for community support, but my thinking is this will hurt the querier. If an agent is on the fence about a manuscript, checks the writer's social media, and sees a long list of rejections, they might second guess themselves. Plus, who wants to be a writer's twentieth or thirtieth choice?

Thoughts?

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I've seen agents recommend cleaning up SM presence before querying and this would fall under that category in my mind.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I know some people do that, and it's so foreign to me. I process rejection privately; I sure don't want to be tossing it out onto social media. But I know for some people it's a coping mechanism: it makes an R just an ordinary occurrence, something they can share with their friends.

I honestly don't know how agents would react. Most of them have a lot more experience than the queriers (at least the first-time ones). I can see many of them not caring at all where they land on the author's preference list, as long as they've snagged a good book they can sell.

I suspect a lot of it depends on how the writer describes the rejection; feeling sad about an R is a different thing than ranting about the agent in question and/or publishing in general.

But yeah, always good to remember agents have computers, and will (IME) google you if they're interested.

Cephus

Registered
Reaction score
Some people have apparently never heard of "oversharing".

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Some people have apparently never heard of "oversharing".

I think that's a bit of a churlish take. Our own forums show that sharing rejection information can actually be a comfort, both to the person rejected and to other writers in the query trenches. A lot of people complain about how opaque the process is, and they're not wrong. Visibility into what others are going through can be a big help.

And yeah, rejections suck, and some people tend to vent more than others. I agree that oversharing does happen, and it can be problematic; but providing information or even expressing disappointment isn't necessarily an issue. It's human to look for support in a situation that feels outside one's control.

I'm also pretty sure agents are aware rejections sting. Unless someone is an egregious a*****e about it, I expect a little online weeping is probably forgivable.

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
I have a private and public Twitter. I would share things like rejections on the private one, which only my friends have. But sharing it on your public one really seems like a not-good idea. Then again, of all the Very Dumb Things one can do with their social media, it's lower on the list.