Top Films of 2019

badatwriting

Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious what's everybody's favorite(s) from 2019? Since 2020 has been a really slow year for movies, I've been trying to watch even more from 2019 than what I was able to see during the year itself. For everything I've watched you can see it ranked here: https://letterboxd.com/funnyfishman/list/2019/.

But here's my top 10:

10. 37 Seconds dir. by Hikari - this was a Netflix exclusive that went really under the radar but is such a beautiful film. It's a Japanese film following a manga artist with cerebral palsy who's life is very restricted because of her overbearing mother. I recently took a class on Stereotypes in Mass Media, and watching this film after that really helped me appreciate it's great representation for people with disabilities. A lot of films get it so wrong, but this film does exceptionally well.

9. The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part dir. by Mike Mitchell - this movie is just plain fun. I think it's a step down from the first Lego movie, but still packs plenty of heart and humor into it's runtime. The animation is incredibly beautiful which really shows the level of care that went into this movie.

8. Once Upon a Time... In Hollywood dir. by Quentin Tarantino - I think this could end up moving up upon repeated viewings, but this is such a great film. In some ways, it's Tarantino's most introspective work as he reflects on Hollywood and the art of film itself. It's very meta in the way it comments upon Tarantino's career whilst adding to it. It's also so funny and the character dynamics are beautifully executed.

7. Knives Out dir. by Rian Johnson - This film is also just ridiculously fun. It's a great deconstruction of whodunnit stories and, while it's lacking it subtlety, the political message of the film is very relevant.

6. Booksmart dir. by Olivia Wilde - God, I love this movie. It's one of the funniest comedies of the year and a beautiful portrayal of female friendship. Just thinking about some of the sequences makes me laugh. The soundtrack is also incredible.

5. Anima dir. by Paul Thomas Anderson - This might be cheating because this is a visual album for Thom Yorke's Anima but what a great piece of cinematography this is. The choreography is brilliant and hyperexpressive. It feels like a piece of performance art you'd see performed at MoMA but captured in a way only the medium of film could.

4. Parasite dir. by Bong Joon-Ho - Yeah this films pretty masterful. If you haven't watched this yet, just do it. It's on Hulu so get a free trial if you must.

3. Marriage Story dir. by Noah Baumbach - This is a beautiful film which is simultaneously heartbreaking and extremely compassionate. Scarlett Johansson and Adam Driver both absolutely kill it with their performances and Baumbach's ear for dialogue is unbeatable.

2. Uncut Gems dir. by The Safdie Brothers - This is one of the most intense and chaotic thrillers you'll ever watch. If you think Adam Sandler can't act, watch his performance here. It's abrasive and overwhelming, so it's certainly not everyone, but seeing this in theaters genuinely blew my mind by how great it was. Even though it's not my favorite film of 2019, it's my most watched and the only from this list that I bought a copy of.

1. The Lighthouse dir. by Robert Eggers - This film is genuinely flawless. I don't want to spoil anything, so just go watch it for free on Amazon Prime right now. Go in knowing nothing and just let it immerse you.

Did you all like these movies? What are some great films I missed?

Animad345

Registered
Reaction score
I'm ashamed to say that I didn't see any of those! I need to watch more films!

I think my favourite of 2019 has to be Lulu Wang's The Farewell. It's a travesty that it wasn't nominated for a single Oscar.

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
In no particular order (aside from the Netflix queue history I watched them in)

Little Women

Richard Jewell

Joker

Downton Abbey

Toy Story 4

Yesterday

Apollo 11

Happy Death Day 2U

Bombshell

Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

Ford V. Ferrari

Jojo Rabbit

Animad345

Registered
Reaction score
I've got to add Blinded by the Light to the list! It's based on the memoir 'Greetings from Bury Park' which is also worth a read.