Anyone familiar with Washington, DC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UntoldStoryteller

Registered
Reaction score
Hi gang,

While Google and Google maps are doing wonders for me ... I need a little advice from a "DC insider." My MC's plot is set in Washington, DC in present day (this is a fiction, "light" thriller a la Big Little Les / The Hunting Party). Despite Yelp's overflowing opinions ... it's hard to get a sense of where certain types of people would hang out. A few specific questions for anyone who knows the area:

• Would a mid-30's / early-40's wealthy, stylish man (he's a venture capitalist) live in Cleveland Park? If so, would it be a townhouse? An apartment? A house?
  • I hear the 14th Street Corridor is where "hip tech folks" hang out ... but my question is, what's the age group? Would 30's and 40's somethings go there, or just the fresh out of college start up crowd? Bonus: if it's an "old enough" crowd, and you're familiar with the 14th Street Corridor I'd love some recs on where people hang out for drinks and/or dinner (right now, MC has casual, mid-day drinks at the Colada Shop as an example)
  • I also need a few hard-to-get-into places where A-listers hang out. None of my usual "DC sources" hang at this type of place, so feeling a little stuck. The only solid lead I have is the Quill at the Jefferson, but I need a few more. Where do the heavy hitters -- not necessarily political hitters, think: tech, finance, etc. -- go to schmooze?
  • Lastly, but certainly not least, are there any "go-to" venues where networking events, galas, etc. take place (again, particularly in the tech/finance crowd)?

Need to layer in a little geographic color and I love DC for the plot's setting but -- gasp -- I haven't spent a lot of time there. (Maybe I should and call it research, haha)???

BTW .... the story takes place in 2018, so this is pre coronavirus.

THANKS!

Status
Not open for further replies.