Hand Spasms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soleggi

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have a main character (still working out a name) who I would like to give chronic hand spasms in his left hand. The character is 10 years old and lives in South America. I thought the dysfunctional hand would be an interesting personal conflict for the character to face and a potentially nice plot device when I am working out sequences of dramatic action.

Does anyone with medical experience know if an external injury to someone's nerves could cause chronic (possibly even lifetime) involuntary hand spasms or twitching? I have done research into diseases like Dystonia, but I would really like to have the spasms function as a result of an injury that the character experienced.
Thanks in advance!

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
Neuropathy can cause twitching, cramps and spasms. Nerves can be damaged for a lot of reasons, and external injury is one of them. It really hurts! Your character is probably going to have a lot of pain and diminished use of that hand. My neuropathy was in my elbow (ulnar nerve) and it made my wrist hurt, and sometimes I was unable to use it, even if nothing was hurting that day. It also makes you change your behavior to not trigger that pain again. It can heal and get better, but it takes a very, very, very long time.

Soleggi

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting, thank you so much for the help! I'm so sorry that you have to go through that :( I'll definitely consider that for the character! (My poor MC's, heh...)

Status
Not open for further replies.