Good evening, and welcome to the middle of my life...!

spoonlamp

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all. Probably a very familiar introduction, but I've had the itch to write for years, started a few things, jotted down some "good ideas" for future use, but never actually finished writing anything. Be it self-doubt, life changes, general lack of time, or plain old procrastination I just can't seem to sit down and plough through! So I'm hoping joining what seems to be an encouraging community might help me make some progress and gain some pointers when I'm making the obvious mistakes.

The personal stuff - I'm getting close to 50 and at the tail end of a career in the military. I still consider myself a surfer although I haven't actually surfed in about 5 years, I've done a fairly broad range of jobs from bar work and bouncing to being an usher in a cinema, been unemployed and been asked to become an Assistant Manager in a hotel. I couldn't apply myself at school, leaving with poor grades and the stereotypical "doesn't reach his potential" reports, but always found time to read and watch films. Now I'm loving being a husband and a father and talking about good times with old friends - hoping to make some new ones here.

The writing has always been in bursts, in the background, probably dismissed as a dream; One massive sprawling fantasy idea which I began exploring nearly 20 years ago and put on hold about 5 years later, one large collection of anecdotes from life and my military career which I'll eventually boil down, find the angle and the voice and complete, and one kids story I started writing for the nephews as a Christmas story (and personal writing challenge) a couple of years ago but, as usual, never finished.

So I'm hoping to explore these elements and maybe get some encouraging words here and perhaps my opinions and life experiences can bring something to the writing of others, even if it's nothing more than a unique perspective.

Mine's a white Russian - drinks are on me.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the middle of my afternoon. I saw your feet someplace. Check behind the sofa. You know those pranksters in Office Party like to hide things there.

For real, Office Party is a low-key way to get used to the place and to get familiar with some of the people you will also see on the "serious" boards. I'm pretty shy and that's where I first stuck a toe in the water. Now, of course, you can't shut me up, at least not here.

Maryn, pleased to meet you

spoonlamp

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to post this question here so as not to clutter the forums with stuff that may well have been discussed at length somewhere else.

Writing may well end up becoming an un-achievable dream for me, no doubt for many. I don't feel I can call myself even a "fledgling" writer without having had something published - an article in a monthly magazine, a lauded or appreciated review, a short story published without pay, whatever. I'm sure there are many like me who have a notebook or word doc with some great ideas for stories, perhaps some skeleton of frame work waiting to hang the meat of a story on. Maybe even like me, a few thousand words of actual written poetry or prose, started enthusiastically but left over time to gather dust.

Are there threads amongst these forums where the general idea of "how should I begin shaping myself into a writer" are explored? My first lessons in Karate consisted of walking up and down the hall in the "horse stance", knees bent, sliding feet, just walking up and down for about 20 minutes at a time. This simple, basic process sets the foundation for the rest of the art. Should I shelve my great ideas? That nebulous, never-ending, no-end in sight fantasy epic I started years ago, wrap it up and instead give myself smaller achievable goals? Five hundred word exercises? Thousand word? "Aim low" until I practice my "horse stance" writing basics? Learn the walk before trying flying kicks? I love the idea of earning a living as a writer, love the process of creating, struggle to make the time for it currently, but I also know that the chances of achieving this are slim, especially if I spend all my writing time working on something no-one critiques. Especially being so out of practice.

Any pointers towards areas in the forum where these sorts of ideas are discussed would be greatly appreciated. Looking for the encouragement.

Writative

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the community. I'll defer to your instincts on the drink, but you should know I prefer vodka or something equally strong, and I have a sweet tooth.

You sound like a fella that loves stories. You're in the right place, my friend.

Writing may well end up becoming an un-achievable dream for me, no doubt for many. I don't feel I can call myself even a "fledgling" writer without having had something published .

"Writing" is seen as one of those mystic activities. So imagine you're going to install some baseboard. Hang with me here...

You would find directions, follow a process, do the work to the best of your ability, and enjoy the result. Are you the best base-boarder ever? I doubt it, but you weren't trying to be. You just found a thing you wanted to do, and you did it as well as you could.

Next time, you'll base-board even better.

When people think of writing, they don't get to see first attempts, or fifth attempts sometimes. They see a fully polished product made by a TEAM of people. That's what makes it feel mystic--and daunting.

My advice is to write what most excites you. That fantasy epic may well be too big for your skills right now. That's okay, nobody will break your arm if you don't publish an attempt. Or if you don't complete an attempt. The best thing you can do is find something that really excites you right now, and just tell yourself you're going to get it done.

There are probably as many ways to write as there are writers, but the one thing successful writers have in common and will tell you is you have to get it done. Find what you love, work on it until you finish, then fix it as best you can.

And as you write, you'll find that you gain skill, and figure out more what you like to write.

In other words, if nothing else, understand that "twenty minutes of horse stance" in this situation is Butt-in-chair-fingers-on-keys and just write. Write anything.

There are all kinds of great resources here, from people far smarter than I , but remember it always comes back to horse stance. You have to write first. Produce. Get the words out of your head and onto a page in any order. You'll get better at putting them in the right order as time goes by but for now just get it done!

I hope this was inspiring, friend. I'll take a refill of whatever this was. It was tasty and my nose is slightly numb in a good way.

Welcome!

spoonlamp

Registered
Reaction score
snip...it always comes back to horse stance. You have to write first. Produce. Get the words out of your head and onto a page in any order. You'll get better at putting them in the right order as time goes by but for now just get it done!...snip

Perfect! Thanks for the advice and the encouragement. :Thumbs:

Pastelnudes

Registered
Reaction score
It's nice to meet you!

Don't write anything that bores you, is my advice.

There seems to a lot of 'should' thinking going on. But this isn't your day job, remember. This isn't an obligation you have to fulfil.

Have fun with it.

I'm not suggesting that writing is never boring, but at the beginning, if you're not enjoying yourself, it's much more likely that your car (story/novel/memoir etc) will quickly run out of petrol.

Maybe just muse on what kind of things excite you in real life. Do you love making your friends laugh? Then try to write a page (of anything) that makes us laugh!

Do you have a favourite author? Why not see if you can write the opening page of a book in their style?

I did that once with Charles Bukowski! And I'm a softly spoken lady from Yorkshire!

There are some excellent writers of erotica on the forum. Maybe that would engage you?

Hopefully, you can see what I'm getting at. Just keep trying things out. Everything is anonymous here, and you can always publish under a pen name.

It's obvious that you're a good writer from your post! So, just let go, if you can.

spoonlamp

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you @Pastelnudes ! A little bit of direction can go a long way! Did I just coin that? That sounds too good not to have been used...

deani7

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome spoonlamp, from one newbie to another... though it looks like you are already more active then I am ;)
A great opening post, with very thought provoking replies... spoonlamp, you have put down in words some of the same things I am feeling, and have received replies that answer my own musings.
Thank you!

Reactions: spoonlamp

spoonlamp

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks deani7 - and welcome to you too! Glad I could be of use to someone, even if I am to to be the lesson that other people learn from :) It's a good crowd, have a look around the Office Party area - a good way to tease out the creative juices while slowly getting to know some of the folks here :partyguy: