Translation dilemma

Aegrin

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in situation where I had to pay really big bucks for the pro translation of my book (6500$ if I get translator from Poland or 12000$ if I get translator from US - yes, different country, different rates). I translated it myself for the purpose of beta reading, but it obviously is not ready to be final product. This process is fine for encyclopedia articles, but translating literary piece is basically rewriting it. I need to hire pro who knows every nuances of both languages. Transcribing voice is crucial. Spending so much money seems insane, plus I've already paid editor, not mentioning I have to cover future marketing expenses. I bet advance will return merely half of my expenses at best. I even contacted Polish translator of Wise Man’s Fear and he said he doesn't have time to commit. And I'm crazy (kinda). What do you think? I know you will call me crazy, but I do not want to publish medicore product. But at the same time, risking so much for debut novel...

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
Are you self-publishing? I thought that normally you would have your publisher handle the translating (and also marketing costs, and the editor...). Over 2 billion people speak English, compared to 38 million for Polish. Is your story especially interesting to Polish people and needs to be read in Polish? Is there a specific reason you want to target that market?

Reactions: Brigid Barry

Aegrin

Registered
Reaction score
Traditional. Publisher won't handle all marketing. And I need to querry highest quality book as I can, editor is a must. I didn't specified: I wrote in Polish, I want to translate to English and focus on US market, as that is the most promising target audience. I will not get publisher in Poland, too many redflags for Polish market. Besides, in Poland people prefer to read American authors (at least in fantasy/sci-fi genre). Moreover, Polish publisher will never handle translation, unless I'm Sapkowski myself (I'm not I want to clarify).

• Hug
Reactions: Elenitsa

Madzianta

Registered
Reaction score
Traditional. Publisher won't handle all marketing. And I need to querry highest quality book as I can, editor is a must. I didn't specified: I wrote in Polish, I want to translate to English and focus on US market, as that is the most promising target audience. I will not get publisher in Poland, too many redflags for Polish market. Besides, in Poland people prefer to read American authors (at least in fantasy/sci-fi genre). Moreover, Polish publisher will never handle translation, unless I'm Sapkowski myself (I'm not I want to clarify).
Udało Ci się coś wydać?

Brigid Barry

Under Consideration and Revising
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is probably a REALLY stupid question, please forgive me. Your English seems more than adequate, is there any reason you don't feel confident doing this yourself?

Madzianta

Registered
Reaction score
This is probably a REALLY stupid question, please forgive me. Your English seems more than adequate, is there any reason you don't feel confident doing this yourself?
It's adequate but can't be native-like. That's jut my opinion.

Brigid Barry

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would think translating into English *yourself and then sending to US Beta readers with the understanding that it's coming from a different language might be more cost effective than hiring an American translator.

I've done reading for non-US writers - it's really not that hard to fix, assuming it needs to be fixed at all. In a fantasy/sci fi setting it's just a voice and it doesn't need to be American (imho).

ETA: *

Madzianta

Registered
Reaction score
I would think translating into English *yourself and then sending to US Beta readers with the understanding that it's coming from a different language might be more cost effective than hiring an American translator.

I've done reading for non-US writers - it's really not that hard to fix, assuming it needs to be fixed at all. In a fantasy/sci fi setting it's just a voice and it doesn't need to be American (imho).

ETA: *
Brigid, can you write some examples? I love learning from mistakes.

Brigid Barry

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I feel like I'm walking into a minefield right now.

If you're talking about me recognizing when someone may not be native to the US based on their writing, it's incredibly subtle and usually has to do with word choices and syntax (and I wouldn't consider those mistakes). If desired, a Beta reader could help clean that up.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Udało Ci się coś wydać?
Hi all, just flagging that the original poster wrote this question more than two years ago, and has almost certainly moved on to other things by now.

Brigid Barry

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
🤦‍♀️ Didn't see the date when it popped up to New Posts. Thanks!