Got a favorite keyboard?

Kerry56

Registered
Reaction score
I've got a friend who recently retired from his job heading the computer services for a small college. In his entire career, he had one keyboard. I have no idea how it lasted from the early eighties to today, but he refused to give it up and had to get adapters for it to work on more modern computers. I suspect if it ever dies, he will have it framed and put on the wall of his home office.

I'm not that persnickety, but I do have an older mechanical keyboard made by Ducky that I love. It uses brown Cherry switches that have just the right amount of resistance and it feels buttery smooth when I'm on a roll in my writing. Only downside is the space bar, which uses a slightly firmer switch, but I've modified it and have the action exactly as I like it now.

When I switch to my second computer, I have to use a more modern keyboard with blue Cherry switches and it makes me grit my teeth. It ain't the same, dadgum it, and clatters like tap dancers on marble floors.

Any preferences for you folks?

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
Does your friend use a Model M? Because if so I totally get why he'd keep it for so long, I'd love to have one.

My home computer uses a Logitech G710+ (Cherry browns w/dampening o-rings), I actually use the gaming keys for some macros and non-standard characters (and I have "gaming profiles" set up for Chrome, Word, Excel lol). My work computer uses a POK3R tenkeyless with Cherry clears, along with a Keycool numpad (I don't remember what the switches on that are..) but I haven't used them in months since covid. Because of a past job I have a ton of G710/710+s in my closet, including some with Cherry blues, but the browns are super comfy and good for what I need.

Kerry56

Registered
Reaction score
Does your friend use a Model M? Because if so I totally get why he'd keep it for so long, I'd love to have one.

His keyboard may predate the Model M. When he started, they were using Sperry and IBM mainframe computers that were about four or five feet tall and filled one room. It had a floor with lift up sections so they could get to the cables. His keyboard may come from one of the terminals for those systems.

Don't know for sure. His may be from their first IBM personal computers, circa 1981? I'd have to ask.

Last edited: