Introducing Myself

badatwriting

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My name is Zachary McGuckin, or just Zach, and I'm excited to be here. I've been writing on and off for most of my life, but rarely finish projects once I start them so it's become my goal to start finishing more projects haha.

I'm going to explain what I read before I explain what I write because that order makes more sense to me. As far as genres go, I read pretty much everything. I love good storytelling, regardless of the genre. The only genres I'm not super huge on is hard science fiction, hard fantasy and a lot of young adult fiction, but even in those genres there is books that are near and dear to my heart. My favorite authors are Shusako Endo, J.M. Coetzee and Alan Paton. Currently, I'm reading Johnathan Strange and Dr. Norell which I'm enjoying tho I'm not head over heels in love with it.

Because of my diverse influences, my writing is similarly difficult to place into specific genres. When I do commit fully to writing in a genre, it's usually a deconstruction or (affection) parody of that genre. The majority of my writing, however, is a hodgepodge of genre influences. Instead, I generally divide my writing into three camps:

1. Fantastical - Fairly self-explanatory. Science fiction, fantasy or other stories with supernatural or unrealistic elements.
2. Historical - Not necessarily the most thoroughly researched and accurate of historical fiction, but realistic and happening in the past.
3. Mundane - Not mundane as in boring, but mundane as is usual. Taking large amounts of influence from realism as well as kitchen sink dramas.

I haven't done any beta reading in the past but I'd certainly be willing to. I love good storytelling and would love to help anyone make the best version of the story they want to tell.

As far as other hobbies go, I'm super into both film and music. Some of my favorite directors are Tarantino, The Coen Brothers, David Fincher, Brad Bird, Miyazaki and Luis Bunuel. As far as music goes, my all-time favorites are Miles Davis, Bob Dylan and David Bowie, and recent favorites are 100 gecs, Charli XCX, Tyler, the Creator & Run the Jewels.

Outside of the arts, I enjoy indoor rock climbing, although I'm not very good at it and I have a passion for activism and labor organizing. I'm currently attending Whitworth University, and helped start a chapter of United Students Against Sweatshops (USAS) there, which has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. I also like camping, hiking and backpacking.

I'm excited to meet and work with you all and thanks for your time.

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the group. I definitely encourage you to spend time in Share Your Work to read and provide criticism. Thinking about what others have written makes a huge difference in your ability to get it right. Look forward to seeing you around.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello there badatwriting (I'll bet you're not!) . Welcome to AW :Sun: I hope you find everything you need here.

Soleggi

Registered
Reaction score
Like some of the others have said, definitely check out the Share Your Work section! It's been a great opportunity for me to read and help to critique work.
Miyazaki is an amazing director- my whole heart goes out to Ghibli :D

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.