BREAKING: Wannabe writer joins a writer's forum, more of this after the weather.

Thrix

Registered
Reaction score
Ahoy there! I'm Guybrush Threepwood, mighty pirate er I ah...mean...I'm Thrix mighty wannabe writer?

So I'm just some guy from Sweden who really used to enjoy reading books and writing creatively many years ago and then fell out of it for one reason or another. I'm probably a bit non-traditional in the sense that I don't currently read that many books anymore and that my biggest inspirations come from other passions such as games, music, film and walks in nature. Thing is that I used to really enjoy writing and I've always loved working creatively in pretty much any shape or form. I've joined this forum because I want to work up that habit to write again and just generally get into the writer's community. Not exactly used to speaking with other writers since it's mostly just me and my friends/family going "Oh Thrix you should really get back into writing" at which point I respond with various displeased throat noises. I'm hoping that joining this place will help keep me motivated to work on my writing. I really do genuinely enjoy it even if it doesn't sound like it.

So what kind of stuff do I want to write? Primarily I'd like to write the kind of stories that have words in them. Ok but for real! I'm not sure I like the idea of being tied down to a select few genres I just happen to think of at the moment, because I really enjoy the idea of challenging myself with new things that will most likely backfire in a glorious fashion. That's part of the fun right? Just starting a project and watching as it takes on a life of its own and cursing when the story decides that it wants to go a different direction than the one you originally outlined. That's the stuff I live for, even if the end result is terrible.

So uh yeah! Genres! My absolute favorite type of genre is prolly fantasy/science-fiction. My favorite type of storytelling is the kind that's generally funny and lighthearted but knows when to get dark and serious. I think the darker more scary parts hit much harder if they aren't the central focus of the story. I also just really REALLY like horror in any shape or form. Huge horror nut! Give me that macabre psychologically damaging stuff, it's great. Not great for mental health but who needs that these days?

I also work as a teacher because I just generally enjoy working with people despite being an asocial introvert. Teaching people stuff (anything that I find interesting) is also a huge passion of mine. Hope this intro was satisfactory and I'll be happy to answer any potential questions.

Now to post this and notice all the little typos and errors afterwards and needlessly obsess over fixing them one by one.

Last edited:

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the fray. It's fun. And the people here are great to be with.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, most people here are great to be with. I'm kind of a grouch a lot of days, but you'll learn the signs that I should be avoided.

Welcome to you!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Thrix

Registered
Reaction score
Well, most people here are great to be with. I'm kind of a grouch a lot of days, but you'll learn the signs that I should be avoided.

Welcome to you!

Or die trying?

Just wanted to say thank you all for the warm welcome. Truth be told I was unsure about joining since I felt a bit like a phony for my alternate sources of inspiration. It's very encouraging to see how accepting the community is. Also seems like an incredible resource to learn more stuff that I didn't even know that I wanted to know. Been taking some time to look around and I'm really liking it here so far.

Thanks for having me!

Thrix

Registered
Reaction score
Huh? There are prescribed sources of inspiration? :Jaw:

It's ah...well it's a thing with me. Without going into too much detail I've basically lived with the notion that media such as books are high art and the kind of stuff that really inspires and means a lot to me isn't even regarded as art at all. I always thought it was bullshit personally but I honestly wasn't sure what kind of reactions to expect from here. I've met some people irl in the past that acted very high and mighty and looked down on me so I guess I was a bit scared that I'd enter a community full of people like that. So yeah, it's my inexperience with these communities talking and I'm very pleasantly surprised to find it full of really chill people.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not that I'm widely "traveled" online, but AW is literally the most accepting community I've been part of. Hell, they even took me! About the only people who wear out their welcome are people who no doubt do the same in real life because they don't know how (or don't want to bother) to act decently to other people.

While we all love the written word, we've got all kinds of people here drawing their inspiration and ideas from pretty much every resource and source you could possibly imagine. So you are genuinely welcome here, and that's pretty cool.

Maryn, not grouchy today--yet

Thrix

Registered
Reaction score
Not that I'm widely "traveled" online, but AW is literally the most accepting community I've been part of. Hell, they even took me! About the only people who wear out their welcome are people who no doubt do the same in real life because they don't know how (or don't want to bother) to act decently to other people.

While we all love the written word, we've got all kinds of people here drawing their inspiration and ideas from pretty much every resource and source you could possibly imagine. So you are genuinely welcome here, and that's pretty cool.

Maryn, not grouchy today--yet

Thanks, it means a lot to hear that from people more versed in this than I am.