Submission portal for essays?

pedroj012

Registered
Reaction score
I've been submitting some essays via submittable and pw.org, but on pw.org there are literally 1,000 magazines, and it's just taking me forever to sort through them and figure out what they're looking for in terms of if they charge a reading fee, allow simultaneous submissions, what word count they want and what formatting and subject matter. Are there better portals out there for essays/creative nonfiction? Thanks for any help!

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
(Please don't duplicate threads. Merged.)

Alas, the tedium is largely unavoidable. What's your subject/target audience?

pedroj012

Registered
Reaction score
ah sorry, meant to delete the original. Thanks for the reply. One is about how many of our choices for cultural content are being filtered through corporate algorithms and because of that it's less and less possible to naturally browse for things. The other one is about living for a year in LA as an extra, at the bottom of the production totem pole.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. I'm afraid all I can suggest is listings which require a subscription, such as Duotrope, which has a lovely search engine for $5/month. They do offer a free trial, through.

Best of luck!

Last edited:

pedroj012

Registered
Reaction score
Oh okay, cool, thanks. I'll def look into that! I think I may create a google doc out of pw.org if i do end up going through it, so that it'll be easier for others. The nice thing about submittable is that you can filter out the ones you have to pay to submit to. That at the minimum would be great.