*Deep breath* Here goes....

KitFoxxe

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Everyone! I answer to Kit and have been writing for longer than I care to admit, especially with never submitting anything for publication. Obviously by joining here, I hope to change that.

My preferred genre is paranormal adventure set in the southwest USA, and the majority of that located in the Mojave Desert of Southern California and Northern Arizona. I love the desert and currently live in Northern Arizona at the eastern edge of the Mojave, after spending 35 years at the western edge of the Mojave. Currently I'm residing on a mesa above Lake Mead and within sight of the Grand Canyon, not too far from Skywalk/Grand Canyon West on the Hualapai Res.

I have 20+ years' experience with horses and western riding (trail-riding) if that helps anyone. Favorite authors for SFF: classic stuff - Roger Zelazny and Frank Herbert, though lately I've been binge reading Ilona Andrews amongst a whole bunch of nonfiction about quantum physics, aliens, and paranormal activity (think Skinwalker Ranch). I got hooked on the SFF genre as a YA reading Andre Norton (anyone remember her?). I'm also a fan of Louis L'Amour, who had a fair amount of paranormal in a lot of his work. And not just Haunted Mesa.

I'm also an artist who works in oils and paints mostly traditional subject matter and landscapes (desert, what else?). Many moons ago I worked for a defense contractor in SoCal as a mechanical designer, and right now help my husband with a small business (machine shop). On top of all that, I'm a Reiki master-practitioner, because I didn't have enough woo in my life. (And life needs woo!)

I've done beta-reading for a couple different groups (mainly Yahoo groups) and am detail-oriented about plot points and logic-tracks, so if I can help out, I'm glad to be of service. (Just no extreme horror or torture scenes. *shudders* I already have enough monsters in my head.)

I found out about this site awhile back, literally years ago, but unfortunately I take too much after my muse (= shy little desert carnivore) to join until now. I've got a couple different WIPs going, which I'm editing and cleaning up stray details, that have been beta-read by friends. Eventually I'll need peeps who are more honest with critiques, though that's not now.

In writing style, I'm a "pantser" (is that term used anymore?) rather than a plotter. Outlines look wonderful until I start writing, at which point my plots diverge wildly and escape, leaving me to hang on for dear life. It might be somewhat obvious that I'm a weird mix of creative logical (or logical creative, depending on what planets are in retrograde), so I understand both sides of those inner arguments. And yes, it drives my artist friends to drink and my engineering friends to tearing their hair out.

Anyway, those are my high points. I'm looking forward to connecting with and learning from other, hopefully as crazy, creatives. :)

RC turtle

Registered
Reaction score
Andre Norton wrote some of the first books I remember checking out from the library! Through my teens I read everything I could find by her. I was kind of sad just a day or two ago that no one mentioned her on the Goodreads threads here, so thanks for cheering me up.

Welcome. Can't wait to see what you have to offer.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Kit--Sounds fantastic.

Yes, Andre Norton, Louis L'Amour, etc--Zelazny--Dune--all are so good.

The desert is beautiful. Joshua trees and rock and and all of it--we live in southern California but with relatives in Palm Desert and also Utah we drive through parts of Arizona and Nevada regularly. There's a fantastic shale--the Latham Shale--in the Mojave which has some of the oldest trilobites anywhere and we go rock hounding in places like that.

Woo is very necessary.

Nice to meet you!

KitFoxxe

Registered
Reaction score
RC, glad to find another Andre Norton fan! I still re-read her "Moon of Three Rings" every year at Christmas. It's my tradition. A few years ago I was going to start collecting her books just because, but she'd written so many that had been through so many reprints that I had to mothball that idea once I got what I thought was a comprehensive list of her titles together.

And if you have any work you'd like another set of eyes on, keep me in mind. Unless, of course, it's horror. *shudder*

Thanks for the welcome!

KitFoxxe

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Kit--Sounds fantastic.

Yes, Andre Norton, Louis L'Amour, etc--Zelazny--Dune--all are so good.

The desert is beautiful. Joshua trees and rock and and all of it--we live in southern California but with relatives in Palm Desert and also Utah we drive through parts of Arizona and Nevada regularly. There's a fantastic shale--the Latham Shale--in the Mojave which has some of the oldest trilobites anywhere and we go rock hounding in places like that.

Woo is very necessary.

Nice to meet you!

Woohoo, another dirt-nerd! Don't get me started on the geology of Cajon Pass and West Cajon Valley, or the volcanic activity along the I-40 and in the Grand Canyon. Glad to meet you more desert-philes. *waves energetically*

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent high points, Kit. :greenie

Not nearly the rider you are, I did grow up with farm horses. Instead of walking the half-mile mornings to fetch milk cows from the pasture down along the Yellowstone, I chased our saddle gelding and mare at least a mile so I could ride like a proper cowboy. In Montana winters, my granddad let me hold the reins to the team of Norman cobs while he fed from the hayslip.

I was a voracious reader of Grey and L'Amour from my grandparents' bookrack and Heinlein and Le Guin brought home by young uncles.

I'm sure you'll find lots with similar interests here at AW. :welcome: and enjoy.

KitFoxxe

Registered
Reaction score
Excellent high points, Kit. :greenie

Not nearly the rider you are, I did grow up with farm horses. Instead of walking the half-mile mornings to fetch milk cows from the pasture down along the Yellowstone, I chased our saddle gelding and mare at least a mile so I could ride like a proper cowboy. In Montana winters, my granddad let me hold the reins to the team of Norman cobs while he fed from the hayslip.

I was a voracious reader of Grey and L'Amour from my grandparents' bookrack and Heinlein and Le Guin brought home by young uncles.

I'm sure you'll find lots with similar interests here at AW. :welcome: and enjoy.

Hey Chase: I love quite a few of Grey's books, too, and have perused many a Heinlein and LeGuin volume. All are well-worn classics in my limited, actual-books library. Everything else is on my Kindle these days. While I miss the tactile qualities of real books, I appreciate being able to carry a library on an e-reader.

Your experience with horses sounds wonderful! I tried to limit chasing horses since it cut into riding time. (LOTS of carrots carried!) I also tried to limit the amount of times I got thrown and had to hike after my mount, especially since I wasn't in nearly the landscape you were (mostly rode in southern Californian oil fields and citrus groves). I had quarterhorses and Appaloosas, so you handling your grandparents' "big guys"/Norman cobs was no doubt impressive. My farrier had a six-up hitch of Percherons that I was able to see in action. Beautiful animals and they were not the huge ones.

Thank you for the welcome and I'm looking forward to being part of this group.