Seriously ... how long is a debut novel supposed to be?

UntoldStoryteller

Registered
Reaction score
Hi gang ...

I'm taking a self-guided writing course aimed at walking you through a first novel draft clocking in around 50,000 words. A quick google verified that this length is about right-ish, but I'm starting to suspect that might be a little light in today's publishing world. Thoughts? Other posters on this forum are talking about debut novels in the 80K - 100K++ range and it makes me wonder whether I'm already shooting myself in the foot. How long IS a debut novel supposed to be?

Also getting the sense that genre/type of novel influences the answer to this question, so for context: I'm hoping to be traditionally published and writing a psychological technology thriller aimed at an adult audience. The plot focuses on rising tech executive grappling with how technology can be used against us as the relationship with her mentor teeters between consultant and stalker. It's not an AI-fueled technology thriller, more a juicy examination of how real people -- even educated technologists -- dangerously give away pieces of their privacy through everyday tech use ... while drawing the reader through one helluva cat and mouse game, of course. ;)

Any thoughts or experience on length?

Cheers!
W

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
Word count depends on genre but for a psychological thriller I would say you are looking between 70K to 95K (although 70K is on the light side so more literary thriller possibly). 50K sounds very light for a thriller and more of a novella. A lot of agents who would receive a submission for a 50K thriller would worry that the low word count indicates that story and characters are not developed enough.

I hope this helps.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
50k is basically the minimum minimum for novels, and like Elle said, it also depends on the genre. 70k to 90k is usually a safe bet for most any adult novel (excluding epic fantasy, which usually aims for 100k to 120k). As someone who writes short, I know it can be a struggle to boost that up when it feels like you've done everything you need to do within 50k, but you can do it. 50k probably isn't an instant rejection, but it is something that some agents may stumble over.

janeofalltrades

Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like this is a generic writing course. Until you've written the first draft, you may not know if you're an under- or overwriter (unless this is not your first book project). It certainly sounds like you have enough material for a longer book than the course is expecting of you, and that's a good thing! Don't limit yourself. Add as many plot points as you feel your story needs. If it's too much it's easier for an editor to say 'cut' than it is to add something that is unnecessary (And I say this as an underwriter).

Cephus

Registered
Reaction score
It depends entirely on the genre. In general, adult novels are 80-100k in length, although for a first-time author, most publishers want a work in the 75-80k range. It has to be long enough that people will buy it but not too long that it becomes too expensive to publish. For anything significantly longer or shorter than genre expectations, you probably won't find many publishers interested.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Here's an article on MS length I saw referenced recently that seems more-or-less accurate. (It's relatively accurate based on my experience with SF, at least.)

IME (which may not be generalizable), you can push it a little on either end - you can sub SFF at 70K or 140K, and agents likely won't reject on word count.

In general, though - worry about word count once the book is done!

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I am aiming for between 80-100k for my crime thriller. If it is published it will be my debut, but not my first completed novel (I have 3 completed trunked novels). Is this your first draft? I think this is a normal word count for someone just starting out with novels and subsequent drafts will allow you to develop it.

UntoldStoryteller

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks!

I would say you are looking between 70K to 95K (although 70K is on the light side so more literary thriller possibly). 50K sounds very light for a thriller and more of a novella. A lot of agents who would receive a submission for a 50K thriller would worry that the low word count indicates that story and characters are not developed enough.

I hope this helps.

This definitely helps, thanks Elle, Maggie,, Cephus ... Great info and in line with other research I am doing out and about. I went back and looked at the course description and I guess it does say 50K is just a preliminary starting point. Thanks for the insight!

And super article, Liz! Thanks!!!

Last edited:

UntoldStoryteller

Registered
Reaction score
I am aiming for between 80-100k for my crime thriller. If it is published it will be my debut, but not my first completed novel (I have 3 completed trunked novels). Is this your first draft? I think this is a normal word count for someone just starting out with novels and subsequent drafts will allow you to develop it.

Wow - way to go on the writing front, Gothic! Dang. Yes, it's my first draft. Honestly, I've only written chapter one (which was ~4100 words, and I have about ~22 chapters planned out, so if I stayed on that course, I'd be right around ~90K). Mostly was trying to figure out whether that first chapter was way too long, way too short, or somewhere closer to Goldilocks, haha. Sounds like it's good as is (until it gets the hell edited out of it, haha).

Good luck on finishing yours ... I'd love to learn more and if you're looking for a Beta, happy to share some thoughts. :)

UntoldStoryteller

Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like this is a generic writing course. Until you've written the first draft, you may not know if you're an under- or overwriter (unless this is not your first book project). It certainly sounds like you have enough material for a longer book than the course is expecting of you, and that's a good thing! Don't limit yourself. Add as many plot points as you feel your story needs. If it's too much it's easier for an editor to say 'cut' than it is to add something that is unnecessary (And I say this as an underwriter).

Thanks, Jane ... it IS a very "general" course. It isn't as rigorous as I expected, and feedback / guidance has been pretty light (dare I say, a little too enthusiastic about everything, haha). You make a good point ... it's just a general guideline. Let the text unfold on its own. Thanks for that reminder!

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Wow - way to go on the writing front, Gothic! Dang. Yes, it's my first draft. Honestly, I've only written chapter one (which was ~4100 words, and I have about ~22 chapters planned out, so if I stayed on that course, I'd be right around ~90K). Mostly was trying to figure out whether that first chapter was way too long, way too short, or somewhere closer to Goldilocks, haha. Sounds like it's good as is (until it gets the hell edited out of it, haha).

As far as chapters go, those are the least of your worries. Chapters themselves can be as long or short as they need to be. There are books with chapters that are a single sentence. There are books with no chapters at all, basically making the whole book one big chapter. Even when agents or publishers request based on chapter, they usually add a maximum page number in case of long chapters or no chapters. So don't let chapter length get to you :)