New member on board

JAYarrow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jyarrow.com
After hanging around in the shadows for a while, I’ve decided to join the crowd. I write in a variety of forms: essays, poetry and fiction. I’ve had poetry and short stories published in obscure literary journals. But right now I’m trying to corral and focus my attention on cleaning up a trio of unpublished science fiction novels.

I like to build worlds and see where my characters go in them. The novels, set in the future in a system settled by humans long ago, follow Joshi Farre from a rebellious teenager into a rebellious later age, in a broad, complex world dealing with issues of oppressive bureaucratic control, interspecies conflict, and the demands of honor.

In science fiction I like Becky Chambers, CJ Cherryh, Kim Stanley Robinson, Hoon Ya Lee, and a host of others. But most of my reading is in mysteries, science, and natural history.

After wandering around the US for a while, I ended up in Seattle where I've lived for many years, except for four years I spent in Tokyo. I’ve worked as a teacher, managing editor of workforce magazines, and deck crew on a fish boat. After all these years, you’d think I’d feel less shy about putting myself out into the world as writer. This seems like a good place to practice.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: from another transplant to the Pacific northwest, JAY.

It was long ago when my navy dad was stationed in Japan, but I've been to Tokyo when we lived in Yokosuka. More recently, I taught English for years and have been a freelance editor for the last ten.

I hope you find others here with similar experiences and likes to make the world smaller. :greenie

JAYarrow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jyarrow.com
I taught ESL while I was there, and learned to do editing (in English). I loved living there. I always told people that if aliens came to earth and offered me the chance to go live on their planet, I'd leap at the chance. Since that wasn't going to happen, Japan seemed like the next best thing. Totally different culture and language, and at last as advanced as the US.