• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

I'm struggling

LarsonFan

Banned
Reaction score
I'm struggling with the pandemic induced lock down. I did alright for the first month, but my output, creative and otherwise, has just fallen off a cliff. The discipline I had with my downtime in the beginning of this pandemic has just disappeared. I started out trying to use this time to my advantage, and now I'm just killing time. I work with COVID-19 patients, so I'm at super high risk of being an asymptomatic spreader and have curtailed my social life accordingly. Two of my friends in my bubble have been infected in the last two weeks, and so I don't have anything to do, and no one to do it with. It's 90 degrees every day outside because I live in in Savannah and it's the summer.

I've got a few ideas for two or three stories, but I'm starting to get analysis paralysis when it comes to story decisions, and lacking ambition. All of the places I would normally go to get out of the house and write for a few hours are closed because of the pandemic, and I never realized how important that was to my daily routine. I'd say most of my writing takes place out of the house.

I think a huge part of this is my boyfriend had to move for his job right before the pandemic and so I'm alone most of the time right now. Without that human interaction I'm getting lost in my own thoughts more. The other thing is I'm a planner, and I would often plan times to write around social gatherings and events that aren't happening right now, and won't happen for at least another six to fourteen months. There's been a correlation that when I stopped planning my real life I've struggled to plan my fictional lives.

Sorry, I feel like this is a rambling rant, which is where most of writing devolves to these days.

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
Not a rambling rant, it's understandable. I am sorry for your isolation. I find it helpful to read and critique work in share your work. Thinking critically about others' work helps me to be a better writer, and often spurs me to write. Just a thought.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
You didn't ramble and I think you encapsulated what almost everyone—particularly the more sociable among us—are feeling. Introverts (and the least sociable like me) are starting to feel the pinch, too. It's terribly hard to focus on writing right now and I watch these boards (and writers on Twitter) for tips on focusing and channeling the pent-up writerly energy that can't seem to find its way out.

You're among people who understand.

Dona St Columb

Registered
Reaction score
No advice, I'm afraid but I just wanted to say you're not alone in your struggle. My creative output during lockdown has been minimal and there are times when I wonder if I've forgotten how to write all together, but then I'll manage to slog out a paragraph on one of my (many) unfinished projects and that will raise my spirits for a couple of days.

I wish there was more I could say or do, but I think this is the reality for a lot of us right now. Hang on in there, it will come back (at least, that's what I keep telling myself anyway!)

FletcherHavarti

Registered
Reaction score
I'm struggling with the pandemic induced lock down. I did alright for the first month, but my output, creative and otherwise, has just fallen off a cliff. The discipline I had with my downtime in the beginning of this pandemic has just disappeared. I started out trying to use this time to my advantage, and now I'm just killing time. I work with COVID-19 patients, so I'm at super high risk of being an asymptomatic spreader and have curtailed my social life accordingly. Two of my friends in my bubble have been infected in the last two weeks, and so I don't have anything to do, and no one to do it with. It's 90 degrees every day outside because I live in in Savannah and it's the summer.

Sorry to hear this -- it's hard to be creative when you're under stress. There are a lot of supportive folks here on the forum, so feel free to ramble and rant all you want. :) As someone mentioned above, offering critique may be a good way to keep your writing cortex functional.

My problem has been very different during the Age of Covid; we are so incredibly busy all the time that it's hard to find a quiet moment and settle my mind enough to write. It's slightly better now that school is over, but only slightly. My job has consisted of 15 hour days and round-the-clock coverage the last couple of weeks. Hopefully this will slow down soon as our busy season is almost over. Right now I'm making minimal progress on writing.

mewellsmfu

Registered
Reaction score
The things that help me most when my writing goes south are to read good writing, study the authors' techniques, and read extensively about the techniques and the thoughts behind them. Find good writing blogs, read advice from the masters of your chosen genre.

This also helps me get back into the writing mode.

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: I'm sorry this is happening to you, to all of us, to the world. Hang in there.

If you are feeling down about your creative output because you feel like you "should" be writing, please feel free to give yourself a break. Nothing is normal right now. It's OK to be not OK.

But if you are feeling down because you want to be engaged creatively, because you miss that part of yourself, then the advice above is brilliant and hopefully something works for you.

It sounds like you are still working outside the home. Since you are used to planning around social events, can you plan around work? (I recognize that your work has got to take some emotional labor since you are on the front lines—thank you for what you do, by the way.) Maybe an hour before you leave, or the first hour after you come back?

Or could you designate some days as writing days and spend the other days not doing any writing? I find taking a break for a few days refills my well, even if all I do is vacuum the house or watch TV.

Do you have other mind-engaging hobbies you could turn to as a break or a refresher?

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
You sound like you are an extrovert. I'm hoping that you can work this out. Maybe move the furniture in your room so you feel like you are somewhere else? As an introvert the idea of going out and doing things with other people is scary to me, so I would not understand much of what you are talking about. It is really funny how many problems are based on personality types or how your brain is wired. So sorry you have to go through that. It will not last forever.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score

I've got a few ideas for two or three stories, but I'm starting to get analysis paralysis when it comes to story decisions, and lacking ambition. All of the places I would normally go to get out of the house and write for a few hours are closed because of the pandemic, and I never realized how important that was to my daily routine. I'd say most of my writing takes place out of the house.

I think a huge part of this is my boyfriend had to move for his job right before the pandemic and so I'm alone most of the time right now. Without that human interaction I'm getting lost in my own thoughts more. The other thing is I'm a planner, and I would often plan times to write around social gatherings and events that aren't happening right now, and won't happen for at least another six to fourteen months. There's been a correlation that when I stopped planning my real life I've struggled to plan my fictional lives.

Sorry, I feel like this is a rambling rant, which is where most of writing devolves to these days.

FWIW mewellsmfu tricks work for me too, as well as just writing from prompts with no intention to use it other than knocking things loose in my head.

But as far as socializing---Many writers' groups in my area have moved online with Zoom. It's not the same as a party, or even an in-person group, but it is better than solitude and does fill some of the holes that we're all seeing. I'd recommend thinking about looking into those. You can sit in, be inspired to write or not, feel community perhaps, and afterward maybe feel as if the writing is more approachable. I'm certain one of our coordinators would welcome you if you're interested.

And the plus side of these online groups is that you can zoom in from literally anywhere with connection.

That's all. :) But good luck.

Last edited:

BigJ1

Registered
Reaction score
Man do I know what you're going through. RIGHT before the pandemic, my wife and I moved to Virginia, away from everyone we knew. She works 10 hour days, so I'm totally by myself most of the time. This really blocked me up with apathy at first. What helped me so much was that I took up meditating. I was only able to sit in silence for 3 minutes at first. Now I'm up to 16. The stillness and quiet has brought me so much peace and taught me a lot about myself. I realized that I was by myself all day, but not with myself at all. I wasn't doing things to take care of me, like I would another person in my care. I started to treat myself like a human, which unlocked the magic once again. Writing is going very well now. Don't hesitate to DM me if you want to talk about your personal situation OR your story. I'd be glad to help.