Freelancer Turned Creative Writer

UntoldStoryteller

Registered
Reaction score
Hello gang,

My name's Whitney. I've been reading as long as I can remember and have always loved writing. In college, I majored in English Literature, but never took any creative writing courses. After getting my MBA, it seemed inevitable that I would end up in the corporate world. While I do love my job, the longer I'm away from academia, the more I miss writing. About five years ago, I started freelance writing for brands and as a ghost writer for corporate companies. I thought that would be a good way to satisfy the writing itch, but I feel like I can't write another original word about digital marketing and thought leadership. It's time to tell my own stories.

My first attempt at a novel is a technology-based psychological thriller. Think: rising tech executive grapples with how technology can be used against us as the relationship with her mentor teeters between career consultant and stalker. But, there are a few other ideas lurking around my brain, too just waiting to come out and play. I'm excited to learn, share, and grow with ya'll. I love to read great fantasy books (Neil Gaiman, Lev Grossman, J.K of course), historic fiction (Geraldine Brooks, Anita Diamant, etc.), and a healthy dose of non-fiction/memories. Yes, I guess you might say I like it all. Because picking a favorite book is too difficult, I'll simply leave you with the last book I read: Rodham by Curtis Sittenfeld. It tells the story of what Hillary Clinton's life might have been like if she hadn't married Bill.

... any good book recs for me?? :)

Feel free to drop a line or share any tips and tricks for a COMPLETE newbie. Hope to see you all soon.

With gratitude,
W

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:, Whitney. Nice intro. You've got better than average tools in your writer's box. Now, you need to tell your untold stories. :greenie

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

UntoldStoryteller

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks!!

:welcome:, Whitney. Nice intro. You've got better than average tools in your writer's box. Now, you need to tell your untold stories. :greenie

It's nice to meet you! And thanks! At this stage (the terrified of sharing anything stage), the words of encouragement are much appreciated. Have an awesome week and hopefully some of these untold stories will make their way into the wild. :)

Cheers!
W

UntoldStoryteller

Registered
Reaction score
Great leads to get a newbie started :)

Welcome to AW

Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Welcome to AW

Absolute Write.

Thanks! These are great places to start. I'm amazed by how big the forum is and how many places there are to learn, share, and get involved. I hadn't stumbled onto the writing prompt or weekly share spaces so this is fantastic. Thanks!

Soleggi

Registered
Reaction score
That sounds like a fascinating concept for a novel! I'm already hooked and I haven't even read a sentence.:Jaw:
I'm a newbie too, but I found that the 'Hook Me in 200 Words' in the share your work threads had some great content to learn from for story intros.

UntoldStoryteller

Registered
Reaction score
Point me to some of your ideas :)

That sounds like a fascinating concept for a novel! I'm already hooked and I haven't even read a sentence.:Jaw:
I'm a newbie too, but I found that the 'Hook Me in 200 Words' in the share your work threads had some great content to learn from for story intros.

Awesome ... do you have anything posted yet? Would love to read :)