White House: ‘Science Should Not Stand in the Way’ of School Openings

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/mcenany-science-should-not-stand-in-the-way-of-school-openings-1030018/

Rolling Stone said:
Another day, another astonishing utterance from the Trump administration on the coronavirus.

On Thursday, White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany argued that science, in regards to COVID-19, should not “stand in the way” of the president’s desire for schools to re-open nationwide in the fall.

McEnany was asked what the president would say to parents who are concerned because some school districts have already announced online-only fall classes due to the extreme rise in virus cases in the U.S.

“The president has said unmistakably that he wants schools to open… And when he says open, he means open in full, kids being able to attend each and every day at their school,” McEnany said, “The science should not stand in the way of this.”

McEnany went on to add that “the science is on our side here” while citing other nations sending kids back to school, but she failed to mention that, unlike in the U.S., many of those countries have seen a dramatic downward turn in cases.

I’m so happy she pledged never to lie to us. That was reassuring.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
They really are determined to get the schools open no matter what.

House Education Committee says WH not allowing CDC officials to testify next week at hearing on schools.

The White House has confirmed. So, not only will the science not be a consideration; they also are going to try to hide it from the public.

I beg you all to push back against the "few kids will die" talking point. It's a terrible take anyway, but it's gas lighting. It ignores long-term effects on children. So far, they've seen lung damage even in children who had asymptomatic or mild cases and MIS-C, a multisystem inflammatory syndrome that is causing neurological issues, like "impaired brain function, headaches, brainstem and cerebellar issues, muscle weakness and reduced reflexes." They had seen those things and more in adults, but they've started seeing it in children as well. It's far too early to know what other damage survivors sustain and how severe it could be.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Of course science shouldn't stand in the way of Trump's administration. (The weasels might sneak around.) It should roll over him like a giant wave, like an avalanche, like a wind-blown wild-fire!

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
In typical GOP fashion, the repercussions of their policies are given no consideration. Even if they roll over the science—not giving a flying f*ck about the longterm health crisis surely attending their decision to reopen schools too early—what are their plans for dealing with the massive wave of homelessness looming? As moratoria on evictions begin to lift and no more federal relief for families on the near horizon, unprecedented displacement of households is going to hit hard. Most states (Texas is one) require proof of residency for registering children in public schools and charter schools. Does the GOP have a plan for managing this? In a word, no.

Reported by CNBC on July 1, 2020:
The House of Representatives on Monday passed a bill that would allocate $100 billion to rental assistance programs and $75 billion for mortgage relief. It also extends the federal eviction moratorium put in place by the CARES Act through March 2021. It is now with the Senate, where it is not expected to pass.

FletcherHavarti

Registered
Reaction score
I beg you all to push back against the "few kids will die" talking point. It's a terrible take anyway, but it's gas lighting. It ignores long-term effects on children. So far, they've seen lung damage even in children who had asymptomatic or mild cases and MIS-C, a multisystem inflammatory syndrome that is causing neurological issues, like "impaired brain function, headaches, brainstem and cerebellar issues, muscle weakness and reduced reflexes." They had seen those things and more in adults, but they've started seeing it in children as well. It's far too early to know what other damage survivors sustain and how severe it could be.

I totally agree. There's so much we don't know about this virus; I'm all for a cautious approach and have opted for remote school for our kids this fall. Sure, the fatality rate among kids is low... but I know a family in our area with two boys (age 14 and 16) who very nearly died from Covid. They were both hospitalized for a month on ventilators and almost didn't make it. Even after their "recovery," those young men will have respiratory problems for the rest of their lives. That family sure isn't looking at this in terms of "only x% of kids have serious symptoms."

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Seriously can't believe that they still let this guy say anything at all. He's a danger to America and to the world.

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm already having back-to-school nightmares and I don't usually until August.

If one of my students dies from this, then God help me, I want DeVos and Trump to come to my classroom, look straight into the eyes of their classmates, and tell them what happened and why.

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
Any kid dying is too many. Kids dying is generally agreed upon to be a bad thing. With things like mass shootings or drugs, you can think "it can't happen here!" and do various mental gymnastics to support that belief. But it's 100% factual that covid is here. You can't deny it or wish it away. It's horrible that the federal government is just okay with kids dying, it's just so incredibly cruel.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What about dead kids? Should that stand in the way of school openings?

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
But it's 100% factual that covid is here. You can't deny it or wish it away.

Why not? Trump has been doing that from the start. He claimed that one day it would disappear, like a miracle.

And the federal government has been okay with immigrant kids dying, so...

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
He claimed that one day it would disappear, like a miracle.

Everyone is lying about COVID. Trump agrees.

Trump Retweets Chuck Woolery Saying 'Everyone is Lying' About Coronavirus
https://www.newsweek.com/trump-retweets-chuck-woolery-coronavirus-cdc-lies-schools-1517330

Talk and game show host Chuck Woolery has sparked anger over a tweet in which he claims Democrats, doctors, and others are lying about COVID-19—but President Donald Trump agrees with him.
{...}
"The most outrageous lies are the ones about Covid 19. Everyone is lying," he said. "The CDC, Media, Democrats, our Doctors, not all but most, that we are told to trust. I think it's all about the election and keeping the economy from coming back, which is about the election. I'm sick of it."

Oh wait... It's not a lie.

Former game show host Chuck Woolery deactivates Twitter account after his son contracts COVID-19
https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/former...nt-after-his-son-contracts-covid-19-1.5028192

Woolery deactivated his Twitter account Wednesday, Young said. In his last-posted tweet, Woolery said, "Covid-19 is real and it is here." "My son tested positive for the virus, and I feel for those suffering and especially for those who have lost loved ones," Woolery said in a tweet on Monday morning, which still lives in the cache of digital archive sites.

Filed in the "No Shit, Bro!" bin.

-cb

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Makes it harder to say that kids are safer when babies are testing positive.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/07/18/texas-babies-coronavirus-nueces-county/?utm_campaign=trib-social&utm_content=1595093477&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

“We currently have 85 babies under the age of one year in Nueces County that have all tested positive for COVID-19,” Annette Rodriguez, director of public health for Corpus Christi Nueces County, told CNN.

“These babies have not even had their first birthday yet,” she said. "Please help us stop the spread of this disease.”

Rodriguez did not provide additional information on the children’s conditions.

As The Texas Tribune previously reported, Nueces County Medical Examiner Adel Shaker said last week that a baby boy, less than 6 months old, had tested positive for COVID-19 and died.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone is lying about COVID. Trump agrees.

Trump Retweets Chuck Woolery Saying 'Everyone is Lying' About Coronavirus
https://www.newsweek.com/trump-retweets-chuck-woolery-coronavirus-cdc-lies-schools-1517330

Oh wait... It's not a lie.

Former game show host Chuck Woolery deactivates Twitter account after his son contracts COVID-19
https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/former...nt-after-his-son-contracts-covid-19-1.5028192

Filed in the "No Shit, Bro!" bin.

-cb
Yeah, suddenly he 'feels' for people. As opposed to yesterday's "Don't give a damn!"
Why are people still listening to TV game show hosts? Isn't Trump enough of a warning as to what you're going to get?
Except for Alex Trebek, maybe, he has a certain gravitas, but he's fighting cancer and is too busy for this shit.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Texas Tribune July 1st: More than 300 children in Texas day cares have caught COVID-19, and the numbers are rising

TX Tribune July 5th: Texas parents face a frightening lack of information on coronavirus risks in child care centers
According to the state health agency, as of Wednesday, Texas children and staff reported 1,695 positive cases at 1,078 child care centers, about 8.8% of the centers open as of this week. About a third of the cases were children, and the rest were staff.

In mid-May, 59 confirmed cases among children and staff had been reported. By the end of June the total had risen to 950, including 307 children and 643 staff.

And they want to open schools?

Last edited:

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
It's sickening.

One district in my area has announced they will be opening remotely in the fall. The governor has said nothing except to vaguely threaten we might have school closures if people don't wear masks. Usually I appreciate his measured approach to things but right now I am resisting the urge to throw things at him. I wrote him a letter instead.

I'm seeing a grassroots movement of teachers starting to organize for collective action. Watching the fight in Florida, I can't say it's a bad idea.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Our daughter's school district emailed a poll last week to parents, asking what type of school opening we'd want to have. DW and I both checked all the "remote only" boxes. Massachusetts has relatively low new case loads, but the state just relaxed some restrictions and cases have been trending up again.

No way do I want to put my daughter, DW and I, or anyone else at risk of catching COVID.

OTOH, DW and I are in the unusual position of both working full-time from home, and I know many or most parents don't have that option so I'm mindful it's not an easy decision for many.

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Well done, Mr. President!

https://www.towleroad.com/2020/07/lindsey-graham-trump-toilet-training/

Commented Berman: “One of the things that’s most interesting is the way that the Republicans on Capitol Hill are treating the president, almost begging for him to lead here and trying to give him positive reinforcement, the way you would to, you know, a dog, or the way you would to your baby when you’re trying to feed him.”

But it will go away.

The mask? Of course. What the heck did you expect?

See video of Trump just hours after mask tweet
https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/07/21/trump-video-mask-photo-tweet-nr-vpx.cnn

President Trump tweeted a rare photo of himself in a face mask after struggling in the polls, but just hours later he was seen in public without one.

-cb

Last edited:

FletcherHavarti

Registered
Reaction score
Our daughter's school district emailed a poll last week to parents, asking what type of school opening we'd want to have. DW and I both checked all the "remote only" boxes. Massachusetts has relatively low new case loads, but the state just relaxed some restrictions and cases have been trending up again.

No way do I want to my daughter, DW and I, or anyone else at risk of catching COVID.

OTOH, DW and I are in the unusual position of both working full-time from home, and I know many or most parents don't have that option so I'm mindful it's not an easy decision for many.

Our district also sent out a survey offering 2 options: 100% distance learning or 2 days per week in school. Today I read that our county and two others nearby (loudoun and fairfax in VA, and montgomery in MD) are about to reverse that decision and switch to 100% distance learning for all students. Those three districts include roughly 450k students in the DC suburbs, and I imagine more local districts will follow suit now that the largest ones have switched to all virtual.

It's going to be a really difficult year of remote learning, with both of us working full time... but Covid is making this a hard year for everybody. There are no good options and I don't blame the educators for wanting to stay safe.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
It's going to be a really difficult year of remote learning, with both of us working full time... but Covid is making this a hard year for everybody. There are no good options and I don't blame the educators for wanting to stay safe.

It's absolutely difficult. We're fortunate in both working from home, but that doesn't address the structural issues around distance learning. Most of The Kid's teachers aren't used to this, and we learned in the spring that some of them are still feeling their way through the necessary structural changes. On top of that, there's the very different schedule discipline around not leaving the house for schooling. Parenting through this is...weird.

My biggest comfort is that it's unprecedented for everybody. This is going to be an odd year on every single kid's transcript. Which of course doesn't make it any easier for people who really don't have enough home support to handle having kids not in school all day (a systemic issue that's a much bigger problem than this pandemic, but still).

Also trying not to spend a lot of time feeling :mad: knowing that if we'd handled this properly even as late as May the choices we'd be facing wouldn't be nearly so dire.