• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Biology: World’s blackest materials found in deep-sea fish

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
https://www.inverse.com/science/ultra-black-fish-discovery

Inverse said:
One of the Earth's blackest materials is a living creature found more than 600 feet beneath the ocean's surface, new research reveals.

Deep in the ocean, sunlight is nearly nonexistent. Instead, bioluminescent organisms light up the water. Because of these under-the-sea light shows, marine animals have to find ways to camouflage.

Recently, scientists discovered that 16 species of deep-sea fish — some of them distantly related — camouflage with the help of skin that appears ultra-black, reflecting less than 0.5 percent of the light that hits it. These fish are more black than black paper, black electrical tape, and new car tires.

While the benefit of hiding from predators is an obvious benefit to the fish sporting ultra-black skin, a better understanding of the skin's properties can also inspire innovative technology. The study authors predict their findings could lead to developing better ultra-black materials — useful for building telescopes, cameras, and camouflage materials.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
That's interesting, Introversion. Another great example of how we can discover things in nature that could have applicability in our own endeavors. This is one "pragmatic" reason why studying and preserving biodiversity is so important.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
On the phone atm, so can't post links, but some of the feathers of the riflebirds (a small group of Australian & New Guinean birds of paradise) are intensely black. Light gets reflected internally and very little gets reflected to the viewer.

They're really difficult to photograph!

ETA: Now that I can read the link, it already mentions the riflebirds and links to the piece in Conversation. Don't mind me. Carry on.

Last edited:

FletcherHavarti

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting article! I would have thought the world's blackest materials could be found inside the cold, dead heart of my boss at my former job. :p

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting article! I would have thought the world's blackest materials could be found inside the cold, dead heart of my boss at my former job. :p

:ROFL: I guess he’s second-best to creepy-looking fish?