Covid: Australia

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
On the subject of Dan Andrews, I found this piece by Rick Morton interesting. (It's in the Saturday Paper. If you don't subscribe, you might have to enter an email address to read it all.)

https://www.thesaturdaypaper.com.au...get-wedges-morrison-aged-care/160648200010773

When Victoria was gripped by a second wave of Covid-19, the acute failures of the public health response soon became clear. As the months stretched on, though, other issues came into focus – from insecure work to the state’s emaciated aged-care system. These systemic weaknesses deepened the crisis.

Never again, says Premier Daniel Andrews.

As Victoria emerges from the catastrophe, during which more than 800 people died, its leaders have signalled they will not wait for the federal government to re-engage with its responsibilities in aged care and industrial relations. The declaration is short and sharp – a combination of incentive and wedge politics – but born of hard-won understanding.

“Insecure work is toxic,” Premier Andrews told reporters on Monday this week, during the announcement of a two-year pilot program that will provide sick leave for workers in precarious employment.

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
I started subscribing to The Saturday Paper a few months back (print and digital) after I got tired of The Age's rightwards lurch under Costello, and I'm very happy with the decision. It's a great newspaper.

And keep your grubby interstate hands off Dan! He's ours!! *clutches Dan Andrews to Victoria and never lets go*

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
If this were an ordinary year, I'd be rolling my eyes at this. But it's not an ordinary year, and I really like these tweets from Dan Andrews. Especially the last one.

I'm pleased to announce that after extensive discussion between the Department of Health and the Department of Elf, Santa will be permitted entry to Victoria this Christmas.

Mr Claus and nine reindeer have passed all the necessary tests, and will follow strict instructions to only deliver presents to very good Victorian children.

I just got off a call to deliver the good news, and outline the minimum distance and density requirements for Santa and his little helpers.

Mr Claus agreed that the only thing he and his team will be spreading this Christmas is fun, joy – and a bit of spirit too.

And he confirmed that for the first time in our state's history, every Victorian child will make it onto the nice list this year.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
so DICTATOR DAN is now DICTATING TO SANTA WHOMST IS NAUGHTY AND WHOMST IS NICE?? :Shrug:What's next, SPEEDING FINES FOR SANTA'S SLEIGH?

sorry, my brain was taken over by Murdoch brain worms for a moment there.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I am assuming the very good Victorian children are the ones who practice social distancing and wear their masks.

Perhaps this year it will be PPE, not stockings, that will be hung by the chimney with care.

Though there are some cute masks out there that might make good 2020 stocking stuffers...

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Victoria is an example to us all. I wish the rest of the country would remember to practice social distancing.

And I see Melbourne has got an early Christmas present in the departure of Andrew Bolt.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Victoria is an example to us all. I wish the rest of the country would remember to practice social distancing.

And I see Melbourne has got an early Christmas present in the departure of Andrew Bolt.

Indeed you guys have been. Wish other places, including my own home, would be inspired by it. Things are getting bad here, even in CA, which is one of the "better" states. Still not nearly good enough.

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com

I was back at work today for the first time since March (ugh, what a shock to the system), and 2/3 of the patients I saw all (unprompted) sang Dan Andrews' praises -- they were mostly younger people, women, and PoC. The remaining 1/3 were all older white men who were almost vitriolic in their hatred of him. It probably doesn't mean anything, but the pattern struck me.

I saw the headline and some vague tweets about it, but didn't look at the actual content. Is he really leaving, or is he just threatening it a la the numerous RWNJs who keep saying they're pissing off to Parler but then don't and keep posting on twitter as usual...?

eta: Oooh, I'm suddenly feeling a lot of pressure to make my next post a good/memorable one!!!

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When your 106 year old mother lives in New York and you live in Australia, you're going to see both sides of pandemic management.
As a trained epidemiologist with postgraduate qualifications in anthropology, I never thought I’d be a “participant observer” of a pandemic on two continents. But there I was, boomeranging in just five weeks from Australia to New York and back again. From a commitment to science, communitas and mateship here, to defiant disregard for public health, contempt for science, and mystical faith in a super spreader leader in the USA.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
classic Avalon couple. That's not going anywhere soon, is it?

Five cases in NSW in the last 36 hours - the first cases in weeks. Dammit!

Still - classic Avalon couples get covid and don't isolate and are divorced but in the same dwelling, are also aged in their 60s and 70s? I think all of that is an over-reach but oh I seriously doubt the last bit.

The link doesn't work, unless you have a subscription to The Oz (in which case you're dead to me but can you put it here so people can see the story. Otherwise - Twitter has it.)

Last edited:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to learning from the media tomorrow how, exactly, Dan Andrews caused this latest outbreak in northern Sydney.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
So make it... “peninsular?”
They'd detach themselves completely and sail away into the Tasman sea if they could. It's a Tony Abbott Land thing.

Meanwhile, I've got a wedding to go to in three days. It's masks on, now. I don't think dancing is on anymore (to my mild disappointment, and the vast relief of 150 other people).