• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Technology: Noise-cancelling windows can halve traffic noise even when open

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Technically, a set of smart speakers to attach around a window's frame.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2248486-noise-cancelling-windows-halve-traffic-sounds-even-when-theyre-open/

New Scientist said:
People living in cities with warm climates face a problem during summer months: keeping windows open for ventilation means letting in traffic sounds. A noise-cancelling device could solve this dilemma.

Bhan Lam at the Nanyang Technological University in Singapore and his colleagues have created a device that can halve the noisiness of urban traffic, reducing the sound coming through an open window by up to 10 decibels.

To cancel out road noise, the researchers used 24 small loudspeakers and fixed these to the security grilles of a typical window in Singapore in an 8×3 grid. These grilles are a common feature across South-East Asia, says Lam. He adds that the spacing of the speakers was dependent on the frequency of the noise that they wanted to cancel out.

The team placed the window in a replica room and played road traffic, train and aircraft noise from another loudspeaker 2 metres away. The frequency of most of the noise from traffic and passing aircraft ranges from 200 to 1000 hertz. Large trucks and motorcycles tend to generate sounds on the lower end of the range, while the majority of the sound from motorways is around 1000 Hz.

The researchers spaced each speaker 12.5 centimetres apart facing outwards and programmed them to emit sounds at the same frequency of noise detected by a sensor placed outside the window.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
WANT!!!!!

I don't care if I'm renting and would have to leave them behind when I move. I live in a cluster of high-rises, and the constant drone from all the HVAC systems drives me nutty. When one gets a bad belt, it has me climbing the walls.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
I want a portable one! I have to stay in hotels sometimes and the drone in those things is horrible. ChrisP I have no idea how you can sleep.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, sorry Chris. Do white noise generators help at all? When I last lived in an apartment, I ran a fan in my bedroom year ‘round, to mask noise from outside my apartment.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, sorry Chris. Do white noise generators help at all? When I last lived in an apartment, I ran a fan in my bedroom year ‘round, to mask noise from outside my apartment.

Unfortunately, noise is noise to me, white or not. The constant grindy of a fan or other white noise has the same effect. It causes me to clench my teeth, scowl, etc. which can lead to headaches if I don't catch myself and not clench.

Noise-cancelling stuff works wonders. The first time I tried noise-cancelling ear buds on an airplane I was amazed at how much less tired I was and how much better mood I was in when I arrived. I had no idea the noise was wearing me out so much!

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, sorry to hear fans don’t help. (I sleep better without any kind of noise, but I fell asleep and slept with a fan in that apartment, where I couldn’t without. Bursty conversations are like shots of adrenaline to me when trying to fall asleep.)

Well, I hope that Singaporean tech is available to buy soon, and it works well!

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
An indoor water fountain that sounds like a creek is nice (except they tend to splash water about). And recordings of water, forests, jungles and the like work nicely.

I would still like noise canceling windows.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
An indoor water fountain that sounds like a creek is nice (except they tend to splash water about). And recordings of water, forests, jungles and the like work nicely.

Splashy water sounds + relaxation = gotta pee!!

I had a massage therapist who had a bit of running water in her soothing music playlist. Every time it came on, I had to interrupt the massage to get up to pee. lol

I'm like ChrisP in that noise is noise and it causes jaw and face clenching, and in me: shallow breathing sometimes to the point of holding my breath. Wind in the forest might be better since it's variable... I think one of the problems with white noise is the constancy of it; it drones and feels neverending.