Rush Limbaugh: “Americans should adapt to COVID like the Donner party did to cannibalism”

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/jul/15/rush-limbaugh-americans-should-adapt-to-coronaviru/

Washington Times said:
Rush Limbaugh encouraged his audience to adopt to the novel coronavirus pandemic by reminding them of American pioneers who resorted to cannibalism rather than starve.

The radio host told listeners Tuesday they will have to deal with the outbreak by taking a page from members of the infamous Donner Party expedition who ate human flesh to survive.

“They didn’t complain about it, because there was nothing they could do. They had to adapt. This is what’s missing. There seems to be no concept of adaptation. There seems to be no understanding in the Millennial generation that we can adapt to this, and that we’re going to have to,” he said while hosting the syndicated “Rush Limbaugh Show.”

“Life has to go on. Life is to be lived,” Mr. Limbaugh said moments later. “It’s not meant to be spent cowering and curled up in the corner in fear. It’s not meant to be spent as a victim. Your life is worth more than simply saying, ‘There’s nothing I can do about it, I have an excuse for not even trying.’ But this is exactly where we are — and it’s not who we are.”

Reassuring words from this American hero. /s

P.S. - This is definitely the dumbest year of the dumbest timeline of the dumbest universe in the multiverse.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I clicked on this hoping it was an Onion story or something.

I had heard that the latest GOP talking point was to convince everyone to fatalism and to grow numb to the fatalities and then pretend nothing was wrong. I guess this guy, as usual, is parroting and amplifying his party line.

"They didn't complain about it because there was nothing they could do" ?!?

First off, that's a ludicrous rewrite of the Donner Party fiasco, which was compounded by one stupid decision on top of another, ignoring all sage advice and offers of help, and was eminently avoidable.

Come to think of it, the Donner Party might be a good symbol for this administration.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I clicked on this hoping it was an Onion story or something.

I had heard that the latest GOP talking point was to convince everyone to fatalism and to grow numb to the fatalities and then pretend nothing was wrong. I guess this guy, as usual, is parroting and amplifying his party line.

"They didn't complain about it because there was nothing they could do" ?!?

First off, that's a ludicrous rewrite of the Donner Party fiasco, which was compounded by one stupid decision on top of another, ignoring all sage advice and offers of help, and was eminently avoidable.

Come to think of it, the Donner Party might be a good symbol for this administration.

Indeed, they certainly have been metaphorically eating each other for some time.

Every time I think the GOP or its proxies in rightwing media have reached bottom, they just dig the hole deeper. If a parasite fed off “shame”, it’d die starving on these people. I frankly despair to see so many Americans still supporting Trump in polls.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Okay, I just read an account of what the Donner-Reed Party went through on their journey, and that was so horrifying I can only conclude that anyone who offers it as some kind of standard of stoicism is either ignorant of American history or a complete sadist.

Last edited:

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I just read an account of what the Donner-Reed Party went through on their journey, and that was so horrifying I can only conclude that anyone who offers it as some kind of standard of stoicism is either ignorant of American history or a complete sadist.

Why not both?

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
Alex Jones said a bit earlier that he would cannibalize his neighbors so his kids wouldn't go hungry (you know, the kids he doesn't have custody of, because of the things he says) so this isn't the first time someone's said something like this in regards to covid/quarantine...

The reason the Donner party resorted to cannibalism was because they were out of options and had to wait to be rescued. And they had to be rescued because they followed a grifter's "guide" to get to California, which the person had never actually traveled and had no idea what he was talking about. The wagon parties that followed the established trails, listened to experts and such didn't have to do that. They just died of dysentery and snake bites and regular stuff.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
I sincerely hope the Covid 19 crisis hasn't got to a point of such drastic desperation. I mean cannibalism really is the absolute last resort of the starving. It's not a coping strategy or an adaptation, it's a last ditch attempt to not perish. It might keep a small population going a bit longer until some other help arrives. And for all the cases where a stricken group of people survived because of cannibalism, there are other cases where stricken groups of people ate those who died first and still all perished. As bad as the Covid 19 crisis is, it's not got to that stage yet.

Also, I think people - including millennials - are doing a fantastic job of adapting. There have been huge amounts of adapting going on and we've all kept calm and carried on and adapted pretty damn quickly too to some massive changes. This time last year if you'd said I'd be working from home all day on a work laptop on my dining table I'd have thought you'd gone nuts and there's no way it could happen. The entire company I work for has adapted to nearly all the staff working from home very rapidly. We did what was needed to be done to make it happen. Ditto school teachers changing how they worked to support kids learning at home. Massive changes. They did what needed to be done. Literally everyone who runs a shop or service - did what was needed to be done to keep running while also maintaining social distancing. Health services - even more so! Bloody "There seems to be no understanding in the Millennial generation that we can adapt to this, and that we’re going to have to" - what a load of rubbish!

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I think his meds must be scrambling his brain even more than usual. Wouldn't "adapting" mean doing things like wearing masks and socially distancing and restricting one's activities to what is most needed? But this analogy makes no sense anyway.

First of all, the millennial generation isn't the one dying like flies from this, so telling them they're the ones who "have" to adapt is likely to fall on deaf ears. They'd argue they are adapting--by going back to in-person jobs, and by flocking to bars and restaurants as if nothing was different, and by and taking their kids to Disney World, and by pressuring schools to open (news flash, Rush, the millennials aren't kids anymore, and are out of college and many have families of their own). Obviously, many (probably most) millennial's aren't doing these covid-denying things, but it's odd to pick on them in particular for being too cautious during this crisis.

Secondly, the Donner party did something highly unpleasant to survive. In the case of Covid-19, the things people do during Covid-19 to survive, and to entail the survival of others--wearing masks and social distancing--are idyllic.

Third, most of the Donner party died, which doesn't have to happen with this virus.

Fourth, the Donner party was eventually rescued.

Last edited:

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
The reason the Donner party resorted to cannibalism was because they were out of options and had to wait to be rescued. And they had to be rescued because they followed a grifter's "guide" to get to California, which the person had never actually traveled and had no idea what he was talking about. The wagon parties that followed the established trails, listened to experts and such didn't have to do that. They just died of dysentery and snake bites and regular stuff.

This wasn't there when I started my post... but yeah, exactly! A last ditch attempt to not perish, and they were lucky they were rescued.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Here is how to adapt to this coronavirus:

• Wear a facial covering in public.
  • Stay 6 feet apart.
  • Wash your hands frequently.

Why oh why is this so f***ing difficult to comprehend?

-cb

Last edited:

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here is how to adapt to this coronavirus:

• Wear a facial covering in public.
  • Stay 6 feet apart.
  • Wash your hands frequently.

Why oh why is this so f***ing difficult to comprehend?

-cb

“But muh freeeeedoms!”

In my opinion, we’d see little of this anti-mask baloney had this administration and his media proxies not turned this into a political rather than medical question. “Mask” == liberal, “no mask” == Trump supporter, should just not be a thing, and I think wouldn’t be a thing but for the deliberate efforts of Trump & his media sycophants.

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
This wasn't there when I started my post... but yeah, exactly! A last ditch attempt to not perish, and they were lucky they were rescued.

To my knowledge, they ate every single piece of leather, the thatch from the roofs, the mules/animals, tree bark....they literally were out of options when they resorted to cannibalism. They also didn't kill people to eat them, but made do with people already dead (it was the middle of winter so it's not the worst it could have been). And I'm pretty sure they weren't happy about it, and complained, and had arguments to come to this decision. But they didn't have Twitter so they couldn't complain about it where everyone could hear it.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Both Jones and Limbaugh say stuff like this when their ratings go down. The more outrageous the better. Ann Coulter has done it many times to up her book sales.

Unfortunately it usually works.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
There really does seem to be an unhealthy fixation on cannibalism amongst the fringe far right, though. :-/