Evacuating 200 head of livestock during brush fire season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like him better if he dies trying to save the dog :D

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm back because I'm been thinking about this. :)

I'm guessing this is the story you found?

Yep--I was searching for how sheep farmers managed near Armidale (I think, or Dubbo, but ended up deciding the exact location does not matter, but is currently set as Northern Tablelands) and found that article, found a few other leads, then figured I'd ask y'all. I suspect I was being too specific in my set-up and needed to think more broadly about all the ways this fictional vignette could work--Frank's suggestion about hobby farming is a good thing to consider, too. Might work better if this is a second income, but I don't want to get into back story for the snippet since it needs to be brief. Still, it's do-able.

The fires here in Southern California are terrifying, and I suspect we assume that there are parallels between our experiences, but maybe yes maybe no. I mean, even from one spot to the next can make a difference--a canyon is a bad place to be in a fire.

I've been in the middle of bushfires before, including this time, and my area of my city was surrounded by fire for weeks in early 2020. The thing to remember is that there's often *no warning*. You just up and go - especially in rural NSW, where the landscape is bone dry and the eucalyptus trees are so flammable. There'd be no time to worry about herding animals or transporting them somewhere.

It's true that some people had warnings and time to prepare over the 2019-20 season, but when the Orroral Valley fire flared up and took hold near my city this January people on some properties prepared for the worst, but the fire took off in a different direction and hit properties and towns where they weren't expecting it.

Those look really helpful. thank you.

Watching the news reports it seemed the 2019/2020 fires kept going on and on, even in the same areas, for days--crawling along like, for example, the 2018 Woolsey Fire here, or the Springs Fire in 2014 which crawled down to the ocean and then the winds flipped and it crawled right back in toward us again. Fires do start out of the blue, but they can grow over days. That was my starting assumption, but I'll take a look at your links.

One of our big problems in our recent fire disaster was that the fires just kept on jumping containment lines and starting where people were unprepared.

In this year's fire season a friend of mine just opened the gates and got in her car and made a run for it, hoping her horses got out (they did).

My sister has a farm up in the mountains above the central valley. Pigs, goats, sheep, poultry, some other stuff. Cats and dogs. She's needed to evacuate two or three times in the past ten years.

It is gripping to live through. Jumping lines is the sort of scenario I imagine, or shifting winds--you see the fire, smell the smoke, hell--the ash is falling on your property, and you watch like a hawk with your evacuation plan in place and hoping for the best. If things take a wrong a turn, that's bad.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
One thing to remember is that these southern Australian fires don't crawl. One of the most terrifying things that happens in a bushfire is 'crowning' -- when the fire leaps from crown to crown among eucalypts. These fires move very, very quickly, helped by their own weather systems and by throwing spot fires sometimes kilometres ahead of the main front. And then the afternoon wind change comes through...

-

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Fires do start out of the blue, but they can grow over days.
Usually, it's a combination of the two - a lightning strike, or an ember from a campfire starts to smolder on the forest floor among the 'duff' (don't know the Australian term - the leaf litter, fallen needles, twigs, etc - dead and dry and deadly) and, if it stays low and doesn't get spotted, can spread far and deep before someone notices it, by foot or airplane or spotter-satellite.
A fire that starts in the middle of no-where, under the right conditions, can be uncontrollable before it's even seen.

(B.C. wildfires a couple years back - I wasn't in them, but there was lots of time for experts to inform us of all this. There's a reason you seldom get fires in city parks, even the wooded bits.)
I also know a bit about peat-fires.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in country Victoria and surrounded by sheep farms, where the sheep are usually numbered in their thousands as is the acreage. All the farmers I know work their sheep from motor/quad bikes or utes. All but one I know (an immediate neighbour) use dogs (and I have no idea how Spencer manages without one, but I do hear him yell and swear at his sheep a lot when he droves them past my place to paddocks he leases down the road). I'm on 70 acres and had a 'flockette' of 42 sheep at one stage. My sheep were all pets (with names), but when bushfires were around the best I could do was put them in the barest paddock, close to the house, and hope they'd be considered part of 'asset protection' if shit hit the fan. (So far we've been lucky and that idea was never tested.)

It might be worthwhile noting that the majority of farmers I know are members of the CFA, our State's volunteer firefighting group. Apart from being community minded, they possibly figure that going out to fight the fires from the outset is their best way of keeping it from reaching them.

The most valuable sheep (and much much much smaller number of sheep) would be the rams (eg. my boss has a 'small' farm and has 30 rams to 1100 ewes), so I'd guess they'd try to get them into the house paddock--oh, and we tend to use the term 'paddock' rather than 'pasture'.

Maybe moving the rams could be an option for your story? Or as already said, a hobby or boutique (eg coloured wool for spinners) farmer.

I'll pop back if I think of anything else.

Last edited:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you one and all--hopefully all the reps went through.

I've made notes. When I get back to this snatch of writing I will not only adjust it based on the feedback here, but also dive into youtube. This looks like a good start.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
In terms of going into fire to save stock when your life is at risk, people in the US have lost their lives doing that
https://www.amarillo.com/news/local...e-three-die-trying-save-ranch-texas-wildfires

I think the main reason it is less likely in NSW is because it happens more often and so people gauge the risk better. But you will find news stories of farmers jumping into water, chasing dingos etc and taking various risks for their animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.