Evacuating 200 head of livestock during brush fire season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
(Sorry--bushfires I think, not brush fires....)

Let's say you raise lamb in New South Wales and you have 200 head. It's just you, for the most part, not a big operation.

You have pens and pasture and your property borders open, unpopulated land. There's brush fires bushfires every year.

If a fire is burning out of control toward your property (and livestock), do you open the gates so they can run free? pen them? put them in a metal-roofed/sided barn? Take them to an evacuation center?

The closest I know from southern California is horse management. Horse owners will load their animals into trailers and take them to evacuation centers. But that's different, most horse folks don't have more than five or six animals.

I found one 2019 article about cattle stock in Australia, basically they were released to fend naturally, and it was heartbreaking to see what happened to those animals and families.

So what would be the normal thing for a sheep rancher stockman/pastoralist to do with his 200 head and a fire coming at him?

Last edited:

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
I can't help with your actual question (sorry!), but if you're setting something in Australia, do make sure you get the vernacular correct. We don't have 'brush fires' here, nor do we have 'ranchers.' Just fyi. :)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
A lot of the time you just hope for the best. If you have land that is less likely to burn you move them there. This is likely to be lambing areas close to the home, especially if the family is sheltering in place. There is likely to be a fire break around the home with cleared land and they could mow any dry grass. Afterwards you go out with a gun and kill burned animals. No you won't be letting them go. Sheep on unfamiliar land are dumb and would impede roadways where people might be trying to evacuate. The public land probably has protected species on it. (My background includes emergency planning for animnals).

I am thinking of production animals and 200 is a lot less than that so they might have other options. A production farm will have maybe 2-3 thousand. If they have a small herd they might have more facilities. If they have almost yearly (I don't think any area always gets effected by the bushfire season) they will have some kind of effective plan and know areas that don't burn.

Last edited:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry frank, bushfires, yes? I think that one's on my radar for the actual snippet. I hadn't been aware that 'ranchers' was wrong, (thanks!) but did come across 'firies' for firemen. ?

Have been tempted to use words like 'walkabout' but out of fear of getting usage wrong am erring on the side of caution where possible. Am basing some of the details on news reports from last year--wombats seen during the daytime and things like this--but have not drilled down into finer details yet, for example, into the geographical distribution of wombats. (For all i know they live nowhere near NSW.)

First things first. How the heck does someone in the lamb industry manage his 200 head of sheep during fire season (as in the 2019 variety.)

p.s. re: 'rancher': It looks like his land might be called a 'sheep station' and he is either the owner (sole operator), or a stockman or a pastoralist (but that might relate only to certain lands.). ?

Last edited:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
A lot of the time you just hope for the best. If you have land that is less likely to burn you move them there. This is likely to be lambing areas close to the home, especially if the family is sheltering in place. There is likely to be a fire break around the home with cleared land and they could mow any dry grass. Afterwards you go out with a gun and kill burned animals. No you won't be letting them go. Sheep on unfamiliar land are dumb and would impede roadways where people might be trying to evacuate. The public land probably has protected species on it. (My background includes emergency planning for animnals).

I am thinking of production animals and 200 is a lot less than that so they might have other options. A production farm will have maybe 2-3 thousand. If they have a small herd they might have more facilities. If they have almost yearly (I don't think any area always gets effected by the bushfire season) they will have some kind of effective plan and know areas that don't burn.

Thank you. This is helpful.

Based on the fires last year, it seems my character has some number of days to watch as the blaze comes closer (and hope things turn around). I have him sending (carting, trucking) fifty lambs to slaughter as a way to reduce his herd, but he still has 150 in the end. If this plan of action raises any flags, I'm curious about that too.

Last edited:

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
I googled 'sheep herding australia bush fires' (with no quote marks) and got a bunch of stories about Patsy the wonder dog who herded 900 (or 200 or howevermany) sheep to safety during the bush fires this year.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I have to say 200 animals is really small. Keep in mind that even the best sort of wool sheep is going to make you about $100 income a year, less for meat. And there is no general purpose sheep in production so it is wool or meat.

Last edited:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Love it.

Sadly, these animals must die. Although I suppose I could have Patsy try, and then kill her, too.

/evil patty

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I have to say 200 animals is really small. Keep in mind that even the best sort of wool sheep is going to make you about $100 income a year, less for meat. And there is no general purpose sheep in production so it is wool or meat.

It started at 500 but my gut instincts said that would seem like a lot for one guy living on his own. Maybe I'll bump it back up. A google books result said one person can manage up to 1000, but that seemed really high. I'll look at the income end of things.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If you want them to die through not fault of the farmer, keep in mind that just because you want to round up sheep doesn't mean you can find them. Especially if the smoke has freaked them out so they left their usual areas.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I don't know much about sheep farming, but I don't think an operation with as few as 200 head would be big enough to be considered a station. You could get away with farm for that.

Walkabout is a highly problematic term, so you're wise to avoid using it.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
200 is really really not that many, and it's not a station-sized flock, at all. Tiny farms in N.H. will have a couple hundred sheep that are not enough income to live off on their own, even as artisan wool producers.

There's a lot of data/research material online, ranging from Australian and New Zealand official agricultural reports, to news papers, to You Tube videos . . . .

See this for some numbers:
THE largest pastoral shearing operation in Australia, Rawlinna station, has pushed through about 64,000 head of Merinos in the past 10 weeks for a total wool clip of 1500 bales.

That's at the other extreme, but I'd suggest more than 200 sheep.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The average flock size in Oz is about 2800 head, from what I can tell (Aus Bureau of Statistics). In NZ, the guys I know who keep sheep as a side business in their spare time (i.e. they work a full time job elsewhere) usually have 100 - 300 sheep.

Adding: New South Wales actually has a downloadable pdf guide on "protecting your livestock during fire season". Vic has a webpage on it as well.

Any decent animal owner will have plans in place well before fire season hits.

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Any decent animal owner will have plans in place well before fire season hits.

Yes. Evacuation plans that you coordinate with your neighbors, because everyone will need to work together. Sometimes it's moving the animals to an area on your place as far as possible from fire/flood, other times you do staged evacuation/removal. But you coordinate because roads blocked by animal hauling vehicles keep fire etc. equipment from reaching the area.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
The consensus is more sheep, so that's easy since it was the original plan. I might go with 700. Artisanal wool sounds most lucrative, and a 'second job' is not an issue. A neighbor is also not an issue. It's a good thought.

We have clearance guidelines in southern California (60 feet clearance around any 'open space' , cleared by June 1st of each year.) Firebreaks are already part of the thinking--I think there's enough common sense and common history there that this part was sort of intuitive--my guy uses a bobcat or a back hoe to augment the existing break (although for all I know Australians don't have 'back hoes' per se).

I'm leaning toward having some portion of this character's herd missing as veinglory suggested, and he gets on his horse to look for them, after protecting most of the herd through his action plan, ultimately finding the lost little sheep and/but getting surrounded by the flames and he goes down with the horse and the sheep.

It's a vignette, about 800 words.

??? Keep it coming.

Last edited:

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Woolybear, is there a reason you're setting this in Oz, where you don't know the norms, versus SouCal (or the USA), which you're clearly familiar with? If you use an Oz setting, readers will likely also be expecting an Oz vocabulary [e.g., in NZ and Oz you don't have herds of sheep. You have a flock (everything on the station) or a mob (a group run/grazed together)] as well as verisimilitude in all of the other details.

Last edited:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, there is. I'm incorporating actual climate events into this particular novel. Alphonse has the ability to relive Earth history and in this novel, that ability focuses on climate events. (He lived Earth's geological record in Aerovoyant.)

At the moment, Alphonse relives Fukoshima, the Australian bushfires, the extinction of the bramble cay melomys (first mammal to go extinct from climate change), ummm... Hurricane Katrina ... uhhh ....an emerging infectious disease (I think I chose the 2019 central American Dengue outbreak, which was historic in scale, believe it or not) ... there are eight such events altogether, I think, though that number is subject to change. Ocean acidification, desertification, changes in migration, etc. (Murder hornets! What?)

The idea is to continue, throughout the trilogy, to illustrate the scale of the climate/environmental destruction problem. Global. Interconnected. (and the rate of fossil fuel consumption--and CO2 emission--is staggering.)

Each snippet is a short one- to two-page vignette of Alphonse, living through the event. I want him living through climate-driven wildfire and the Australian ones seem like a good framework. Those struck me as more graphic than our SoCal wildfires (which we live through annually, the smoke and flames and evacuation plans and so on), in part because of the tragedy impacting the koalas and wombats. They were horrifying.

Each of these 'flashbacks' is footnoted to actual information online. (The freedom of self publishing.)

I don't want the flashbacks to be US--centric, as he lives on another world and in another time, and climate change is global.

I'll try to address the verisimilitude in an ongoing way and in a dedicated way down the road--I agree with you.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
At a density of 1-10 per hectare it's easy to lose some. But most of the time sheep on pasture don't need a lot of care. You'd have to get some help for drenching, shearing, lambing etc.

Last edited:

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
I can't help with your actual question (sorry!), but if you're setting something in Australia, do make sure you get the vernacular correct. We don't have 'brush fires' here, nor do we have 'ranchers.' Just fyi. :)

Echoing this. There isn't a single person in Australia who has ever used the term "brushfire". Bushfires (and stockmen - not ranchers or cowboys - who work on cattle and sheep stations). :) edit: Just stressing the point because I've read a lot of books set in Australia by non-Australians and the terminology is always wrong. I can't stress enough (for anyone reading this post) that Australians never use the American terms.

And also echoing the fact I know nothing more about farming than what I had to research for one of my books, so I'm no help with the actual question!

Last edited:

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think there's any sheep station, or even small block, in Oz where they don't use working dogs to move the sheep.

And, going only on the details you provided, if MC is shifting his mob as per his emergency plan, on horseback, with his working dogs, and a few ewes go walkabout, and he gets the main mob to safety and then goes back into the fire with his horse and dogs to look for the missing sheep -- to this reader, at least, he's going to come across as incredibly stupid and horrible.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think there's any sheep station, or even small block, in Oz where they don't use working dogs to move the sheep.

And, going only on the details you provided, if MC is shifting his mob as per his emergency plan, on horseback, with his working dogs, and a few ewes go walkabout, and he gets the main mob to safety and then goes back into the fire with his horse and dogs to look for the missing sheep -- to this reader, at least, he's going to come across as incredibly stupid and horrible.

Yeah, no one does that. The sheep aren't pets. They're money on the hoof. You're not going to worry about a few strays; it's not worth the risk. Your horse and dog are both worth more than a few sheep, never mind your own life.

Stop and do some research. There are actual videos of Australian sheep dogs in action (Australian shepherds are amazing dogs). There are several books by people who spent their lives on stations. There are songs, and poems. Even if you stick to online, there's a wealth of information.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yep: to put it in context, you'd pay about 20 X for a decent working dog what you'd pay for a Merino ewe.

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
In NZ, the guys I know who keep sheep as a side business in their spare time (i.e. they work a full time job elsewhere) usually have 100 - 300 sheep.

Yeah, a relatively small number of sheep along with someone who acts irrationally during a bushfire (ie: stupidly chasing after a few lost lambs) fits more with a hobby farmer than a professional farmer/stockman. I mean, even experienced hobby farmers should/would know better, but maybe your guy only recently bought the land and livestock and panics with a fire bearing down.

eta: Another option is you don't actually need your guy to act stupidly to get trapped in a fire. For example, in the Black Saturday bushfires in Victoria in 2009, a lot of people and livestock tragically died because of an unexpected wind shift. The fire was (not technical terms here, obviously) very narrow and long, like a vertical line on the map moving southward. And then with no real warning, the wind changed. And that narrow front suddenly turned into an enormous front moving sideways. (Not sure if that makes sense?) Anyway, even experienced farmers were caught off-guard. So ... there are options. (Sorry, I'm also not sure if that's helpful at all!!)

Last edited:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for all the fantastic feedback! Love it. Love the support, as well.

(Ummm.. he does have dogs, although going back through the thread I see I neglected mention, oops.)

Obviously I've given a thumbnail here, but the real question in the OP has been answered--most directly by the Unimportant's PDF on NSW guidelines, and Veinglory's feedback too, but everyone else's is so greatly appreciated as well.

You guys are amazing. Thank you. I've always been impressed with the kindness of Australia. :)

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm back because I'm been thinking about this. :)

I'm guessing this is the story you found?

I've been in the middle of bushfires before, including this time, and my area of my city was surrounded by fire for weeks in early 2020. The thing to remember is that there's often *no warning*. You just up and go - especially in rural NSW, where the landscape is bone dry and the eucalyptus trees are so flammable. There'd be no time to worry about herding animals or transporting them somewhere.

It's true that some people had warnings and time to prepare over the 2019-20 season, but when the Orroral Valley fire flared up and took hold near my city this January people on some properties prepared for the worst, but the fire took off in a different direction and hit properties and towns where they weren't expecting it.

One of our big problems in our recent fire disaster was that the fires just kept on jumping containment lines and starting where people were unprepared.

In this year's fire season a friend of mine just opened the gates and got in her car and made a run for it, hoping her horses got out (they did).

Status
Not open for further replies.