• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Map software for sci-fi fantasy/secondary worlds

mhdragon

cats, writing/reading, video games
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone here use map-making software to draw up maps for their worlds? I know some talented writers who can draw, probably just do that. Since I can't draw, I am looking at software. Currently, I am looking at wonderdraft, but I am not sure.

RC turtle

Registered
Reaction score
There are a couple of threads about this; try the Google custom search toward the bottom of the page to find them. (l myself am trying to ignore such things, as I would spend way too much time on them.)

mwritesdragons

Dragon Tamer (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.incitingeventblog.com
Yes!

I've used Inkarnate, which is a website with a subscription version and a free version. I used to subscribe: but I cancelled because I discovered Wonderdraft. It's worth noting that since I cancelled they did a pretty massive update, and I think the subscription is much more worthwhile now than when I used it.

Now I use Wonderdraft, which is pay-once and you own it software. It has steeper learning curve, but tons of versatility.

Inkarnate is generally more intuitive, but I like Wonderdraft for its flexibility. ...Not trying to promo, but I did write a blog post specifically comparing Inkarnate and Wonderdraft and there are sample maps I did that might give you a better feel for what's possible. Wonderdraft's website isn't super great at selling itself in my opinion so LINK.

Last edited: