COVID-19: HK Book Fair Postponed (was: Cancellation Still Up in the Air)

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
The annual Hong Kong Book Fair (15 July) attracts approximately one million people each year. Exhibitors generate a lot of revenue from this fair versus their usual retail outlets. But this year, at least eighty percent of participants have said they would consider pulling out and forfeit the deposit if necessary. Authorities are still debating whether or not to cancel or postpone the Book Fair.

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/component/k2/1537326-20200712.htm

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
And if exhibitors are willing to lose money to not risk being there, I imagine most of those planning on attending feel the same.
It's sad, not just because of the Book Fair, but because Hong Kong needs something large and comforting going on, in the face of oppression.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
And if exhibitors are willing to lose money to not risk being there, I imagine most of those planning on attending feel the same.
It's sad, not just because of the Book Fair, but because Hong Kong needs something large and comforting going on, in the face of oppression.

Agreed! We do need something that's "normal". And it looks like the Book Fair will go ahead.

While I love the Book Fair, I'm avoiding it; no point putting myself and others at risk of infection (I have breathing issues).

Other than that, I don't know how I feel about the Book Fair: I'm glad it's going ahead, yet I'm also terrified that HK will see a nasty unstoppable spike (total infections as of Friday, 10 July is just over 1400). If the spread engulfs the entire city, HK will need to face a horrific reality: city-cum-plague pit.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong...-kong-book-fair-exhibitors-health-expert-call

Last edited:

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
News just reported that the Book Fair has been postponed. Thank the gods!

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I suppose they were hoping for a last-minute reprieve, medically, but sounds like they made the safe, sensible decision. At least people will be alive for next year's Book Fair.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I don’t know what it’s like in Hong Kong or details about the book fair itself, but in the US, a lot of organizations (& people) waited to cancel events until the venues cancelled for financial/contract reasons. For example, Sweet Adelines International only recently cancelled the international competition, even though most choruses & quartets haven’t rehearsed in months, many regional competitions were cancelled in the spring, & many women wanted it cancelled earlier. But they were waiting for the venue & hotels to cancel. Many contracts say you owe money if you cancel, but you’ll get the money back or don’t have to pay if they cancel.