• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Multiple POV's in a prologue

mhdragon

cats, writing/reading, video games
Registered
Reaction score
So I have a general question about a WIP.

Can a prologue have multiple POVs?

I read the stickied thread on prologues but I didn't find an answer. I did decide that my WIP does need a prologue as it takes place about ten years before the start of the actual story, and is the event that drives the whole narrative. The prologue begins with a little girl walking through the woods that she calls home. She senses that something is amiss. There is a loud explosion in the forest and she barely survives. The POV shifts to her younger brother who witnesses the explosion and the villain responsible.
I was going to do a 3rd POV with the villain, but am on the fence about it. Three POVs might be jarring for the reader. I am not even sure about two. I considered a prologue with just the little girl, and have her brother's story come out over time as a backstory in the actual chapters. But it would leave the reader without knowing what caused the explosion, the introduction to villain etc.

Before anyone asks, I don't do head-hopping. With the two POVS, they are in separate places. However with the villain, his POV is right next to the girl's brother, so it might be head hopping. Even if it isn't it does seem jarring. I am planning on writing a version without a 3rd POV and then one with, to see which works better.

For the actual chapters, I plan on making each chapter with one 3rd person limited POV.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
A prologue can have whatever you want it to have. There was a mystery series I used to read where each book started with a prologue that was a series of vignettes from the POV of every suspect in the story, as well as the (eventual) victim. It worked quite well.

Ellis Clover

watching The Office again
Registered
Reaction score
Big Little Lies has about ten from memory - so I'll say yes :) As always, it's all about the execution.

(Edit: it was actually Chapter One, not a prologue, but imo it totally reads like a prologue.)

Last edited:

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't have multiple POVs in a prologue. Many readers don't like prologues at all; that being said, a good, suspenseful prologue can work for you . . . a lot of best-selling authors do use them.

A prologue should be short and limiting it to the girl's POV is really your best bet based on your description. The info about the brother witnessing the event would be better used later for upping the stakes of your story.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't have multiple POVs in a prologue. Many readers don't like prologues at all; that being said, a good, suspenseful prologue can work for you . . . a lot of best-selling authors do use them.

A prologue should be short and limiting it to the girl's POV is really your best bet based on your description. The info about the brother witnessing the event would be better used later for upping the stakes of your story.

+1 for this.

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
Personally I wouldn't do it, but that is my taste and style. I have no problems with prologues but I'd be kind of hesitant of a work that starts with multiple POVs in the same "chapter." I've seen a lot of people do multiple POVs poorly and I'd assume that would be the case here, too, but I'm always open to being pleasantly surprised. Every "rule" or convention of writing can be broken, but not every writer (or even every work) can pull it off or have it be a good fit for the genre/format/theme.

If you want to do it and you think it is the best thing for your story, then do it! Make it as awesome as possible. It's just a prologue, so if it ends up being kinda bad or doesn't work then it's no big deal to throw it out and try something else.

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
It's not something I would do, even though I like to include a prologue in my novels and I write from multiple POVs. I prefer to concentrate on one POV in the prologue and make it brief and concise.

However, there is no such thing as 'you can't' in writing (if you ask if you can do something, the answer is always yes), so if you think a prologue with multiple POVs is the best way to start, then try it and see!

mewellsmfu

Registered
Reaction score
What Ari said. Mixing multiple POVs in the way you suggest would be a nonstarter for me.

Drascus

Registered
Reaction score
As many commentators have said, you can do absolutely anything in your book if you do it right.

The question is, what's the right way to do it for your project?

To me, everything in a book should be there for a reason. There shouldn't be a single conversation, scene, or character that doesn't serve the overall story in some way. They don't all have to drive the plot, but they have to have a purpose even if it's comic relief to break a dour mood.

So what's the purpose of your prologue, and the purpose of each POV within? Especially at the beginning of your story, every single thing included should be absolutely vital. If there's another way to get the information across than a prologue that will make you happy, then that's probably the right way to go. If the idea of the prologue feels necessary, if it will be engaging and important for the reader to know, then do that, but make sure you trim all the fat.

Like many folks commenting above my first thought when I see a prologue is "Oh no, I have to read something before I can actually start the story I'm here for." I often feel that my time is being wasted, and if it seems like an info-dump I will often skip it and just muddle through the main story instead, or maybe drop the book entirely. (I'm currently on try 4 of getting started on The Way of Kings)

On the other hand, if the prologue is more of an exciting short story that frames or sets up the novel, I'm in! Then I'll be excited to see how the threads in that prologue are borne out in the text. Basically, for me a prologue is a big ask. If done well I'm good with it, but done badly or even in a mediocre way, and I'm annoyed.

mhdragon

cats, writing/reading, video games
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, guys your advice has been most hopeful! I think I can do the story with just the one POV, and that it may work better. Thank you all.

litdawg

Helping those who help themselves
Registered
Reaction score
"Hamilton" is the biggest example of a multi-POV preface right now. That opening musical number brings in every member of the cast to give their commentary. Seems to work for a story where the plot is less important than the characters.

drawrite

Forever a Newbie
Registered
Reaction score
A late-ish reply, if you don't mind.

With multiple POVs, you can make it work if it's done to support your plot. From what you've described you can really create a sense of urgency by switching POV with say, maybe each paragraph, after something big happens. Like a movie scene that pans over characters, and you see their reaction and hear their thoughts. All of this together can get your reader interested in reading what happens next. I'd say that, with the time skip, you'd be able to detach the prologue in such a way that the readers will have that a-ha! moment when they realize, "hey, these were the characters from the first part!"
And this all relies on your ability to make a memorable prologue. Hope anything I've said is useful to you; I think I may have repeated some sentiments others have already, since I agree with their questions.

Aegrin

Registered
Reaction score
Oh boy, writing book is hard enough. Pulling off multiple POVs in a prologue sounds to me like climbing mountain higher than Olympus Mons. But challenges are needed, and I humbly recommend you to, even if not for this book, experiment with this. It will not go to waste.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
Big Little Lies has about ten from memory - so I'll say yes :) As always, it's all about the execution.

(Edit: it was actually Chapter One, not a prologue, but imo it totally reads like a prologue.)

Ellis Clover got in ahead of me re the execution thing.

I don't get the prologue hate. I might not read it before chapter one, but I do read them.

It is your story and there is an argument a writer should write it how they want to write it. I would, however, ask yourself whether what you are proposing is what your story needs. IMHO simpler is usually better. It is not a universal truth, and, again it comes down to execution.

If you are still in early draft territory, then you can indulge yourself now and decide later if the prologue needs to be changed or given the old heave-ho.