Cats and writing

mhdragon

cats, writing/reading, video games
Registered
Reaction score
Does your cat or dog bother you when you write?

My cat doesn't seek affection, but he is a little jerk. If I ignore him and continue working, he will make his presence known by getting into anything he can. My first cat, Ike would just plop himself down on my laptop. If that didn't work he would paw the glasses off of my face.

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
In the Before Times, the birds would (roommate's cockatiel and her parents' lovebird we watched when they were on vacation). They like being around people, even if they just watch you. Might try to bite the computer or demand scritches. But now that we're both home all the time the cockatiel only comes to bother you when you're on a call, since he can hear more people talking. I don't look forward to how mad he will be once we go back to not being home most of the day.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
Par for the course with cats. I think the key word in your question was "ignore". Cats cannot abide any notion they are not the centre of the universe. Mine would deftly touch a few keys and lo behold my computer was suddenly in portrait mode. I miss the sod.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I first get cats, they learn not to bother me when I'm working because if they do, I pick them up by their scruff and drop them to the floor. Usually takes about 10-12 times for them to figure out that an open laptop means no cuddles.

Mind you, if I'm in my recliner with my feet are up, they can cuddle on my legs, but come near the keyboard and you lose chair rights.

Cats can be trained. You just have to be more stubborn than they are.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
My cats likes me writing more than me sloughed before the TV, writing has better lap-conditions. And they know that when they get in the way, they get expelled from the lap.

Cats can learn lots of things, they just don't want to most of the time...

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a dog. So - yanno....

ETA: Sorry for you guys and your troubles.

Last edited:

rrobinsonwrites

Registered
Reaction score
We call my cat Maverick the "desk kitty" because he literally sits on the desk and sprawls out across my laptop. He's one of three, the other two are just barely less tenacious about it. Sometimes I have to lock them out of my office so I can get something done :') At least when the writers block hits I can blame it on the cat.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
My cat used to get between me and the computer, I often have my laptop on my bed when I'm writing. My Sebastion would get on my lap and push the laptop away with all four paws. He would never actually get on the laptop, though, like my other cat who will just plop right down on the keyboard or stomp all over it, that kitty is not allowed in my room when I'm writing.

I lost Sebastion last month, he was 15, I miss him getting between me and my computer even if it was a bit annoying at the time. He was my writing buddy and best friend.

CharlieChap

Registered
Reaction score
Fun cat fact - Cats typically have about 24 whiskers on their muzzle. Additionally, there are shorter whiskers above the eyes, on the chin, and on the back of the cat’s front legs just above the paws (these are called carpal whiskers)!

Last edited:

JohannaH

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ouches.org
My eldest cat has started draping himself across my lap and up onto my right arm with his head on my right hand. I can still type left-handed. (I am right-handed.) It breaks my heart when I have to move him - he is old and sick. Most of the time, I have to switch off writing and over to email or something that requires fewer fingers.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
My eldest cat has started draping himself across my lap and up onto my right arm with his head on my right hand. I can still type left-handed. (I am right-handed.) It breaks my heart when I have to move him - he is old and sick. Most of the time, I have to switch off writing and over to email or something that requires fewer fingers.

Been there.

I usually write in a comfy chair with my feet up, and laptop in my lap. One of my old cats would try to lay claim to my nicely upholstered footstool and be boosted outta there, for which I would receive a filthy look. By the end, when pws's health was going downhill, and the vet seemed to have little idea what was wrong, I let her spread out to her heart's content. She was the only cat I ever had, who snored loud enough to put me off my stride and derail my writing thread.

jeb101

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Does your cat or dog bother you when you write?

MR. Snoot - like in, "Get out of that, you little snoot." - is a lap cat. Sometimes when I just sit and watch TV but guaranteed to be right here - as he is now - when I open my laptop. I can still work with him here but when JR. decides to join the laptop disappears. :)

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I have cats and dogs, so I get it both ways. Leo the cat tries to get in my lap but doesn't fit (he's 17 pounds), so then he walks across the keyboard and stands in front of the screen. Finally he tries to lie on top of the computer tower, which I don't allow (blocks the cooling vents) and climbs to the windowsill and begins to knock things behind the monitor.

Meanwhile, the puppy is trying to go under my desk so he can chew on wires, and all three dogs (and Leo the cat too) try to steal any food I have on my desk.

They are distracting, but also very good company. Definitely help keep us sane during these housebound times, even when they drive us crazy too.

TeresaRose

Registered
Reaction score
Pets really are THE BEST!! When I sit down on my couch, my little cat, Molly, always comes and lays beside me. She is the sweetest little thing. :heart::heart::heart:

Maddy Knight

Banned
Reaction score
My cat likes plopping down on the keyboard. I have a photo but can't seem to attach it.

Meet Atticus

mikes-002.jpg

https://alexmwhitmer.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/mikes-002.jpg

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
We don't allow uploads of photos for both security reasons and server space reasons.

But you can link to photos if you post them on your blog or use a service like Flickr

See Thread: FAQ: How to Link To Images Properly

Maddy Knight

Banned
Reaction score
That worked, thank you. I am quite daft when it comes to techie stuff, no matter how simple.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
It is I-want-another-cat time.

The last few years I have ended up adopting elderly old pws after pws. Maybe not a kitten, but a young un would be nice.

DezDunn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dezareadunn.com
We have three cats, but the one that like to interrupt my writing the most is Camille, my long haired black cat. She looks enormously fat, but most of her rotund silhouette is due to her fluffy fur. She likes to sit right beside me and lean her head against my arm, peering up into my eyes with love and adoration. She slips her paw up almost as if she is hugging me and it is the cutest darn thing... but she just wants wet cat food. I treat them twice a week to wet food in addition to their usual fare, but it never fails that she will sit beside me as soon as my butt hits the bench to beg.

Beccorban

Registered
Reaction score
My cats love to sit on my notebook while I'm writing. They're also obsessed with my fountain pens. If I leave them unattended for one moment they'll be on the floor, or else hidden away in their little kitty stash of toys and odds and ends.For editing, etc, they don't seem to understand what keyboards are so they fall on the keys, roll over them, jump on them etc.I would describe it as irritatingly adorable, but I am comforted by the fact that this has been a problem for time immemorial: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...imals-medieval-manuscript-books-cats-history/