New writer to A.W.

jorlando

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! My name is Jared and I'm from the Los Angeles area. I have, up until this point, mostly kept my writing under wraps, but I'm starting to realize the importance of sharing it—especially with a writing community. In the hopes of becoming a better writer I'm looking forward to reading the work of you all, as well as receiving your advice.

I mainly write fantasy, horror, and contemporary fiction short stories and novels. I am currently working on my third full length novel manuscript.

Trying to break out of my shell here, so be gentle :) Looking forward to meeting you all.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Adirondacks David

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Jared. 'Sounds like unlike some of us you've gotten well past the "compiling a vague list of themes and story lines to be worked on at some future date" stage, so kudos for your discipline.

jorlando

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Dave. That means a lot. As I'm sure you know it isn't easy to get past that stage. Unsexy as it is, treating writing like a job has been helpful for me. One can be creative and productive at the same time, even though it doesn't seem like it on the onset.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The names may not indicate it, jorlando, but among the members are people for whom it is a job, which is pretty cool. And lots more are published but have other sources of income.

Among the most important things I learned here was BIC--that's my butt in the chair for a set amount of time every day, no matter what else is going on, and while there, I can either write or just sit there. No internet, no editing. You write or you do not, period. I finish books now.

And you will too, it sounds like. Clearly you're going to fit right in. Welcome!

Maryn, smoothing her 1950s hostess apron

jorlando

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Maryn! BIC, I will have to remember that. That is probably what I meant more: sitting down and doing the work, no matter how much it fights against you.

Thank you for the welcome. I am ready to make this my main career, patiently, slowly, and trying not to forget that this is FUN. It is supposed to be FUN, Jared. Why are you crying?

Adirondacks David

Registered
Reaction score
The two of you raise a good point: in order to make actual progress, it's important for the –[clears throat] – easily distracted and easily discouraged to just set some time aside specifically for writing, and not to allow themselves to start binge-watching stuff on YouTube. I'm guessing that would prove far more effective than waiting for the muse, since she seems to blow me off more often than not...

Last edited:

jorlando

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Cameron! I am still floored that Sanderson gave us those lectures for free. I’ve learned so much from them.

Adirondacks David

Registered
Reaction score
I can't say that my binge-watching includes Brandon Sanderson's lectures, or that I was even familiar with that name, but seeing as you've tweaked my curiosity I'll have to check them out.