Trump administration “looking into” ban on TikTok, other Chinese apps

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/07/trump-administration-looking-into-ban-on-tiktok-other-chinese-apps/

Ars Technica said:
The Trump administration is considering banning Chinese social media apps inside the United States, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Monday. The ban would start with popular short-video platform TikTok.

"We're taking this very seriously. We're certainly looking at [TikTok]," Pompeo said during a televised interview with Fox News. He directly and explicitly linked the considered ban on TikTok and other apps to the administration's actions against other Chinese tech firms.

"We've worked on this very issue for a long time, whether it was the problems of having Huawei technology in your infrastructure, we've gone all over the world and we're making real progress getting that out," he said. "We declared ZTE a danger to American national security, we've done all of these things. With respect to the Chinese apps on people's cell phones I can assure you the United States will get this one right. I don't want to get out in front of the president, but it's something we’re looking at."

I'm surprised they bother to make a cover story for this. There's no way this isn't purely presidential ire directed specifically at TikTok for the widespread reports that their users contributed to vastly inflated attendance expectations at his Oklahoma rally, and the subsequent nearly universal media declaration that said rally was a flop.

Of course, since it was reported that the majority of TikTokkers involved were overseas, I don't see how this affects future "love-bombing" of Trump events, but then, reality was never this gang's strong suit.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
If he wants to ban all the Chinese apps, let him!

No, I don't support that monstrous abnormality, but for once, this action is agreeable to me.

If you know where I am, then I think you might have an inkling of why I agree with this action (though the orange thing is abhorrent and reprehensible).

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I understand the reasoning.

I just don't see how he could possibly do it. We don't have government control over our access to the internet or to downloading aps on our phones.

I think Trump and Pompeo are just fear mongering.

Last edited:

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I do wonder how it could possibly be done. I doubt the ISPs will cooperate.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
How long do you think it would take for another, similar, app to replace it. Possibly not even Chinese? Look at (Trump fave) Twitter, Facebook, Instagram. All it has to do is be up for a couple of weeks for the kids to see it - maybe advertise 'Get revenge for Tik-Tok' and the response to Trump would be twice as bad. All it takes is one billionaire who is annoyed at Trump. Or, just wants the thrill of 'making things happen'. Or, more seriously, is Russia.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Is that the most urgent thing on Pompeo's desk? Really?

-cb

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It could also be replaced by an app that doesn't "look" Chinese-government-related -- more successfully than Tik Tok is trying to....

But when it comes to data misused I am more concerned by the planned Google-fitbit merger given Googles interest in getting involved with hospitals and health insurance.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Is that the most urgent thing on Pompeo's desk? Really?

-cb

Pushing regime propaganda, punishing perceived dissent, and creating tempests in teakettles to distract from the ongoing hurricane of destruction and corruption that is the regime?

Yes, that is the most important thing on the desk.

There are some definite Issues with TikTok, but the timing and alleged reasoning behind this... more posturing, more show, more petty bullying.