Amy Cooper will be charged for falsely reporting a crime

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
She is the woman who, while in Central Park, called the police on a birdwatcher who asked her to put her dog on a leash. The birdwatcher, Christian Cooper, is Black (and no relation--the shared last name is coincidental), and Ms. Cooper made it very clear she was calling the police out of spite and very melodramatically screamed into the phone that she was being threatened by a Black man. Fortunately, this incident was recorded.

https://www.npr.org/sections/live-u...hvRURFpFeCMlueV21uvyoTpqxBNRtTlmbHMs751tHKN_Y

It's only a misdemeanor she is being charged with, though, and things could have ended very badly for Mr. Cooper.

The phenomenon of White people calling the police on Black people who are doing nothing wrong is widespread enough there are people who study it.

https://repository.law.umich.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1293&context=mjrl

Now if we can figure out how to actually stop it.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
The video clearly shows her putting his life in danger - she tells him she will call the police and say an African-American man is threatening her. And she takes pains to repeat on the phone that he's an African-American. It's so fake and yet so dangerous at the same time.

I don't know if she'll be convicted, but at least people will be aware this is against the law.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
I hope she is convicted.

Such acts of bigotry and threats need to have visible and tangible consequences.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
If she were convicted would that give Mr Cooper the means for legal redress against her? Let's put to one side the question about whether he would wish to.

TrapperViper

Registered
Reaction score
If she were convicted would that give Mr Cooper the means for legal redress against her? Let's put to one side the question about whether he would wish to.

She doesn't have to be convicted for Mr. Cooper to bring a civil action against her. OJ Simpson was acquitted and then lost all his money in the civil suit that followed, from what I understand.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I hope there are extra penalties for falsely reporting a crime in a way designed to cause injury to the person accused. This is not faking a burglary to cheat an insurance company, or to cover for a mistake. I have no doubt she would have been happy to see Mr. Cooper beaten, if not shot.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I hope there are extra penalties for falsely reporting a crime in a way designed to cause injury to the person accused. This is not faking a burglary to cheat an insurance company, or to cover for a mistake. I have no doubt she would have been happy to see Mr. Cooper beaten, if not shot.
You can tell because they always smirk. They'll be yammering to the dispatcher that they're scared and in danger and they look the Black person in the eyes and smirk. They want them to know they're purposely weaponizing a potentially deadly weapon against them for sport. The only time I haven't seen the smirk is when the Karen is masked (which is rare). Or should I say Caren.

Shamann Walton, San Francisco Board of Supervisors member tweeted this:

Racist 911 calls are unacceptable that's why I'm introducing the CAREN Act at today’s SF Board of Supervisors meeting. This is the CAREN we need. Caution Against Racially Exploitative Non-Emergencies. #CARENact #sanfrancisco