I'm back

mhdragon

cats, writing/reading, video games
Registered
Reaction score
So, I made an account on here probably in 2017, as I was entering grad school for a MFA in creative writing. I went in with a book idea that I had since high school. My mentor wouldn't even take a look at the idea. In our first meeting I pitched the idea, and he did not like it. He wouldn't even look at anything that I written. So I came with a new story that I didn't really care for. After that project failed, and I failed my first term, I went to try again. I came up with another new idea but after taking some classes I realized that an MFA program wasn't for me.

I quit writing after that, and dropped off this site after that. Over the years I would come out with new ideas and start writing them down, but would stop and give up, and return to playing video games and working my crappy job in the food industry. For me, video games always felt safe because failure is always short lived. I talked to some people in the industry when I was in school. I had writers tell me they had scrapped full manuscripts because they weren't good, or got rejected so many times that they gave up in the genre they loved and tried writing in something else.

It has always been in the back of mind, but I have known that ebook publishing is much easier, as there is no gate keeper with an army of sleep deprived interns going over slush piles and rejecting perfectly good stories. So, worse case scenario, I can always publish an ebook. So, I have decided to go back and start writing my very first book idea, however I recognize there are major hurdles. But I think I can do it. So I am back.

Cheers

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome back, and keep writing!

Keep in mind that many MFA programs are geared towards literary fiction, and if that's not what you love, it may be frustrating.

Also keep in mind that ebook is a format; there are trade publishers who are exclusively ebook publishers.

You're coflating ebooks with self-publishing, and they're not necessarily the same. You can self-publish ebooks, or printed books, or both.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome back

jorlando

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome back! It shows the love you have for writing the way you bounced back, so good on you. Looking forward to seeing your work.