God save the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

paintedlady

Registered
Reaction score
I am Canadian and many Americans might resent me for writing this, but here goes anyhow. The United States of America is a mess. A mess. Usually people speak this way about Africa, or maybe central America. It is frightening to say it about Canada's neighbour to the south. It is appaling what has become of this once proud nation: mass murder and unthinkable gun violence (85 gun deaths a day, a day!); children killing children, gangs killing gangs; rampant racism and hatred politically endorsed, protests and looting, a legal system in shambles because of political partisanship (Canada's political leaders have no idea what political party our Supreme Court judges support), a country stricken by a deadly virus too many people chose to ignore; an economy on the verge of collapse, a divisiveness between political parties and political leaders never seen before; lies and deceit and corruption, a democracy that is anything but democratic, and all men are NOT created equal, especially members of the LGBT community, Muslims, Blacks, Latinos, virtually every visible or religous minority; crushing trade wars that have created distrust and dislike for the United States throughout the world, a health care system in ruins, a country whose leader has a total disregard for the environment; a country where people truly "hate" one another; a country who is presently led by the most debauched, ignorant and despicable leader the country has ever seen, a man who is NOT the leader of the free world, who is NOT the defender of democracy. who is NOT the leader of a great nation. The only people worse than this president are those who support his appalling behaviour through inaction or because of similar beliefs or a fear of standing up to him (do NOT lie and say you love your country and continue to support him). The US has sunk so low in the eyes of the rest of the world, it sickens and saddens and makes people weep. For the millions of Americans who have been caught in the downward spiral of their nation you have our sympathy and tears. The world pleads with you to right this wrong before it is too late. God save the United States if there is another four years.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't resent you. I just don't see how your thread, a whole thread to list all the terribleness we're living through, on a forum where we do a fair bit of talking about how we're fighting, what we can do, is helpful or constructive. I've learned from Black activists not to throw their trauma at them, not to drone on about what they experience on a daily basis, when they just really need us to step up and do the work. We know better than you what's wrong here, so how does this thread help anything? I don't even believe in a god so I know I've got to to do the work. I'm not alone in doing everything I can to fight, either. Far from it.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, we're not doing this. paintedlady you didn't read the stickies for this forum, or The Newbie Guide to Absolute Write, or the description of the forum, which makes it very clear.

Please see the room expectations stickie. What are you working towards, hoping for, and how do you hope to change the world? Go gently with each other.

Finally, we're writers, and in ACE & H in particular, we expect members to bring their best game, including writing cogent, persuasive text.

This wasn't it.

You're lecturing to an audience that you don't actually understand; for one thing you're assuming that the members are all American. They aren't.

For another, telling classes of discriminated minorities that they're minorities and being discriminated against is . . . well, it's not tactful. It's not in the least helpful, and it is in fact potentially damaging.

I suggest you read a lot more in the forum, particularly this one, to get a better idea of your audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.