Reading, Writing, Editing, Critiquing, and sometimes Submitting

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
Alright, my people, in the evergreen pursuit of keeping us all on track, I propose a new thread to help us. This thread is meant to keep us honest, and encourage us all to keep working.

Post once a week or so:
  1. What are you reading?
  2. What are you writing?
  3. What are you editing?
  4. What are you critiquing?
  5. and, sometimes, What will you submit for publication next?

I'll go first.

• I am reading two anthologies: Afromyth edited by J.S. Emuakpor and Infinity and I by Sam Phillips - both are great so far.
  • I am writing new content for a novel I wrote this spring for my son about murders after a storm. (I actually quite like it.)
  • I am editing the same novel, which often feels like rewriting.
  • I am critiquing a short story by someone on AbsoluteWrite that asked for beta of a 5K piece of erotica.
  • I intend to write and submit a story for Humans are Weird, an open call for stories I found in the paying markets forum on AbsoluteWrite.

And all of the above ignores my day job, which requires a lot of the above, but has nothing to do with writing per se.

Last edited:

JakeSTamer

Registered
Reaction score
I've found that I don't read a lot when I'm writing. I do have three samples on my tablet that I want to read this week. Succubus Dungeon, Succubus Dungeon Divine Overlord, and My Girlfriends are Pirate Elves all three by Eden Redd. I'll probably end up buying all three.

I've been working on the outlines for Rebirth book 2,3,4. Kind of slow going, adding things here and there. I wrote down rough notes for a different story, still erotica.

I'm still messing with Rebirth, leaving an asterisk where I change something (My editors been sick for a month so it's been delayed,I should be getting it back this week. I can't help messing with it).

Does critiquing my own book count?

Not writing or reading, but writing related. The past few weeks I've been teaching myself how to format for paperback and ebook. I've figured out paperback, now I'm working on ebook. I spent today working on my website which I'm also teaching myself to do. It's getting easier the more I do it. I also had cover art started last month. We finalized the cover, now she's doing the wrap for the paperback.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What are you reading?
I've recently re-started a novel that got set aside during a stressful time several years ago. It's Brandon Sanderson's The Way of Kings, and I'm enjoying it. FYI, I cannot read erotic fiction when I'm writing it. I don't mean to borrow, but apparently that's what I do.

What are you writing?
I'm writing the third book in a trilogy. Book One has had one enthusiastic beta reader and two non-finishers who did not get back to me. Sigh. If it wasn't the book for them, or they thought it was too terrible to waste another moment on, I'd have liked to know. Nobody's seen Book Two.

What are you editing?
Book Two of the trilogy, making sure the facts are consistent across the set. There's a maddening amount of detail to keep track of, and my concordance was utterly half-assed. What color is his coat? What's the name of the building where wrestling meets happened at college? What's the name of the administrative assistant who calls him? How old is his mom in this part? Ugh.

What are you critiquing?
Nothing right now. I'm trying to do more than I have in recent times, and those who receive feedback have Inkfinger to thank.

What will you submit for publication next?
I continue to inch closer to self-publishing, but have yet to take the big step. I need cover art. I need lessons. I need my little hand held.

Maryn, whose smallest ring is an 8

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently reading a bunch of spy novels I bought through biblio.com. So far, I'm :heart:loving:heart: everything by Gavin Lyall, whereas The Eiger Sanction is WTF people bought this? seriously? Once again, I'm out of step with my own genre.

Writing/editing (sort of the same thing for me): I'm putting the final tweaks on a sequel to the story I had in Analog this spring. Which will be the thing I submit next (I've told my housemate to nag me if I don't have a sub-format copy for her to look over when she gets home tonight). And I'm plinking away at a follow-up story to an unpublished novel, which I think I've finally had a breakthrough on. I don't expect that story to go anywhere, but it's been bugging me for ages.

Not critiquing anything right now; my local writing group's on hiatus until we can meet in person again. I have been poking around in the Brainstorming and SYW forums here a little, and very intermittently working up the oomph to leave a comment. (Also due to Inkfinger's urging.)

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
What are you reading? Nothing heavy at the moment since so much of my free time has been spent on writing lately. Though I'm staying up-to-date with Dr. Stone and Agravity boys, so that's something.

What are you writing? Fantasy bird novel. Just about halfway done

What are you editing? Blogpost for work. Nothing super exciting.

What are you critiquing? Nothing at the moment, though I'd be open to do it for someone.

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
  • I am reading two anthologies: Afromyth edited by J.S. Emuakpor and Infinity and I by Sam Phillips
  • I am writing a science fiction short for an anthology open call, and starting the rewrite of my novel
  • I am editing the same novel, now into second draft
  • I am critiquing a short story by someone on AbsoluteWrite that asked for beta of a 5K piece of erotica.
  • I intend to write something for Writers of the Future in August

And all of the above ignores my day job, which requires a lot of the above, but has nothing to do with writing per se.[/QUOTE]

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My reading is flitting around between Gavin Lyall's The Crocus List and a couple of non-fiction things (counter-insurgency and politics, my usual jam). I seem to lack focus.

Failing miserably at writing a story for an anthology. (InkFinger, I think it's the same one you're aiming for; hope you're having better luck!)

Submitted the sequel story mentioned above. Hope to have something fit to sub to the antho.

Not editing/critting anything atm.

Need a nap.

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
  • I am still reading two anthologies: Afromyth edited by J.S. Emuakpor and Infinity and I by Sam Phillips
  • I am writing the second draft of a novel I wrote for my son
  • I am editing the same novel as I go.
  • I am critiquing work by people here.
  • I intend to write something for Writers of the Future in August

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is it that time again already?

I'm still reading the same things as last time; most of my reading time is in bed, and I don't tend to get very far before the words fail to show through my closed eyelids. I've added Fragile Things to the mix; I quite like Gaiman's short stories, but they're best in small doses spaced by other things, especially right before bed.

I'm not actually writing anything right now. I've been writing a lot of things to spec and/or to deadline lately (anthology calls, ficathons, etc.), and now that I'm at loose ends, I'm not sure what to work on next.

Not editing. Not critiquing.

I did get the story off to the last antho, just barely before deadline. Today I woke up and felt like querying, so I may do some of that.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And you look smokin' hot in the uniform, veinglory!

JS Emuakpor

I lurk. Therefore, I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
afrocentricbooks.com
I am reading two anthologies: Afromyth edited by J.S. Emuakpor
FLATTERED! I hope you enjoy it!

As for me, I am doing this:

Reading: Slushpile (not fun). Listening to "Race to the Sun" by Rebecca Roanhorse.
Writing: Just finished a story for the world of Sorghum and Spear; am writing my second novel, featuring more W. African gods.
Editing: Nothing. Hallelujah! I'm on a break.
Critiquing: Erotica SYW
SUbmitting: Sorghum and Spear.

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am reading/writing/editing/critiquing/submitting squat all. But the house is cleaner!

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, this wasn't COVID cleaning. This was, we rarely clean properly unless someone's coming over. No one's been over in months. Oh, dear.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Every time we have company, we agree that we should have someone over at least once a month, because that's when the house is its cleanest. Of course, us introverts don't do that, even before COVID.

Reading: The Way of Kings, still. It's a huge book. I think the print paperback tops a thousand pages by a substantial margin
Writing: Book three of a menage trilogy
Editing: Book two, sort of--making facts align with book three, mostly
Critiquing: I should be at Erotica SYW, but I haven't been
Submitting: Nothing, as usual

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
  • I am still reading Descent by J.S. Emuakpor
  • I am writing an entry for Writers of the Future
  • I am editing my novel Seaward Secrets (working title).
  • I am critiquing work by people here.
  • I am submitting Pluto's Departure for ZPP Pirates of the Empyrean anthology

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm... I'm not doing much but...

*reading nothing
*writing the ending of an old vampire web fiction I posted years ago
*editing the same old web fic
*critiquing nothing
*submitting nothing, and I probably won't for the foreseeable future. Can I change this to "publishing" since it could work both ways?
Then..

*publishing chapters of the old web fiction

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
Can I change this to "publishing" since it could work both ways?

I would say yes. If you are publishing, you are achieving the same end, hopefully, as submitting. I know that my work often finds the bin, but that's not why I submitted it.

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not late for last week, I'm early for this week! I think....

I have completely lost track of time, and have no idea what I've accomplished since last update. I think there were a couple of stories submitted, and possibly a query or two? And a brief burst of writing, all too brief.

Reading-wise, I've burned through the first three Madoc Rhys mysteries by Alisa Craig (aka Charlotte MacLeod). Not her best work, but unstressful and entertaining enough for current purposes.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't been playing along because I'm almost embarrassed how little I'm accomplishing. But hey, I'm among friends.

Reading: The Way of Kings, just past a third of the way in, wondering why I'm not this good. I'm also reading Maus II while my computer is doing updates and scans and isn't fit for writing or internet browsing. It's heartbreaking and I can only handle a little of it, because I see us heading this direction again, as if we'd learned nothing.
Writing: Book three of a menage trilogy, coming up on the end. Adding COVID, actually.
Editing: Book two, making facts align with book three
Critiquing: I should be at Erotica SYW, but I haven't been
Submitting: Nothing, as usual, but inching ever closer to self-publishing

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
  • I am reading The Black Birds of White Oaks by Clive Tern, a short in Afromyth edited by J.S. Emuakpor
  • I am writing an entry for the 42 Story Anthology, a side trip from the piece for Writers of the Future
  • I am editing my novel Seaward Secrets (working title).
  • I am critiquing work by people here, but perhaps not enough.
  • I am submitting Pluto's Departure for ZPP Pirates of the Empyrean anthology later today.

JakeSTamer

Registered
Reaction score
Right now, I'm reading Grave Digger by Alexa Wayne, next it will be To Crown a Chimera by V. C. Sanford.

I'm working on (Working titles) Succubus Daughter. Outlining Rebirth 2, Rebirth 3

I'm still editing and revising Rebirth. (Almost done again)

I'm not critiquing anything right now, unless you count my own work.

Not submitting for publication, but I will be sending Rebirth back to my editor this week.

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
I am reading Terror in the Testicles, a short in Full Metal Horror III edited by Sam Phillips and Adam Bennett
I am listening to The Sandman by Neil Gaiman on Audible
I am writing The Martian Consequence, story #5 in my Near Earth series
I am editing my novel Seaward Secrets (working title) - this is going slow, but I've written 60,000 words (this novel and short stories) in the last two months.
I am critiquing - OK, I suck, I should be critiquing.
I submitted Pluto's Departure to ZPP Pirates of the Empyrean anthology, missed the deadline for the Blood Crown Anthology, and am now picking a place for my new horror short to be subbed end of this month.

Last edited: