• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

The Good Literary Agency

Broadswordbabe

I'd rather be a cat.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gaiesebold.com
Yet another new one - new to me, at any rate. www.thegoodliteraryagency.org .They are specifically looking for writers from underrepresented backgrounds, which cuts me out, but might be of interest to others. They seem to have made at least one very nice deal though the agent who made it (Niki Chang) has now left.

Last edited:

ArianaF

Registered
Reaction score
Note, this is based in the UK and represents "explicitly" British authors, so keep that in mind.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Note, this is based in the UK and represents "explicitly" British authors, so keep that in mind.

Er...Not sure what's funny?

I was puzzled too and so I went on twitter (because we can learn all things on twitter, at least that's how it seems to me.)

https://twitter.com/thegoodagencyuk/status/997500520637063171

"...we can only represent British writers or those who are residents in Britain due to being publicly funded."

... for which one might say exclusively British authors. Not “explicitly” British authors, which is what Gillhoulhy was laughing about.

:e2coffee:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, that's interesting from a language and a 'how we hear' perspective.

From the online dictionary:

explicitly: in a clear and detailed manner, leaving no room for confusion or doubt. "the essay should state explicitly how the facts support the thesis"

**(in reference to representations of sexual activity) graphically and vividly. "explicitly erotic images"

I wonder if it comes across with the sexual innuendo to some. To me, it seemed a clunky word choice, but a rough synonym for 'definitively' or 'verifiably.'

It's much more of an amusing word choice with the innuendo, <wicked grin>. I assume this is part of Gilloughly's mirth, and your explanation, but may well still be off in left field.

Thanks, Lakey.

Last edited:

Broadswordbabe

I'd rather be a cat.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gaiesebold.com
Aaah...ok. I think I was having a slow day. Now I think about it 'explicitly British' does rather sound like a dodgy 1970's TV series...