POV in erotica

NadiaBlair

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, everyone. POV advice needed. I'm writing a series of short erotica (approx. 10K per story) and I'm wondering whether I should stick with third-person POV or go with first-person. I like the immediacy and immersiveness of first-person, but the first two stories are third-person, so I'd have to go back and edit those. Can any of you with more experience in the genre tell me which is more popular with readers?

Thanks!

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
I would worry more about good than popular. If you have a voice that rings true and storytelling that captivates, the rest will sort itself out. Write for yourself first.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yup. (Points upward to the previous reply.) It doesn't matter how much extra effort it is to change the completed stories from third to first. If first is better, do it. The bottom line is quality, not effort expended.

Maryn, who's been immersed in first person present for the last year

NadiaBlair

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you both! Ironically enough, I have "write for yourself, first" on a post-it note above my desk, but of course amidst all the madness of keywords and categories and (gasp shudder) marketing, I forgot the most basic rule of writing.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Then we have served a purpose. Whew!

Maryn, whose life has meaning at last