2020 Summer Solstice Sekret Sequel Something Speedround

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Glad to hear the tiny eye volcanoes are responding to treatment Froggy.

I have done my research, organised my notes, planned my story and am ready to put fingers to keyboard but... my PC is poorly and not running smoothly.

Have spoken with its maker and the engineers are examining event files as I type.

Fingers crossed I don't have to send it to them to be sorted out.

Ooooh dear. Sending whatever prayers/blood sacrifices the cruel and capricious techno-gods will accept. I'm still dealing with my broken 'e' key, which doesn't slow me down too much but is still a pain. I guess I can try doing a fanfic sequel to the famous 'Gadsby' novel written w/o use of the letter 'e'.

Wha...? Oh no! We are caught in another one of those time displacement thingamies because Sarah isn't in Friday yet but it's been Friday here all day. How does the world work properly when we can't even synch our days?

Next year we're all doing the event in Tahiti to avoid this dateline nonsense.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Welp, best of wishes to the ones experiencing technical difficulties! Computers are awesome things when they do what they should do.

About the time displacement, well we kinda had that coming since we voted for a time machine prompt. Life imitating art? (If so then I'm finishing my story with "and all the Sequel Sisyphus writers lived happily ever after with no annoying allergies ever again." just in case.)

I wrote another 1K and am starting having Doubts. Yeah, I've clearly hit the 'my writing sucks and my plot is DULL woe is me' stage.

kinokonoronin

Purveyor of Madness
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote another 1K and am starting having Doubts. Yeah, I've clearly hit the 'my writing sucks and my plot is DULL woe is me' stage.

Is this just a stage? For me it seems permanent.

Finished a first draft. It's longer than intended and I never found a way to incorporate two of the prompts. Also, I just hate it.

I might just try again from scratch with a new concept (time permitting). I need to mull it over a few days.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, it's a stage, alright. I mean, it rather has to be, If I was in that state all the time, it's time for me to find a new hobby other than writing. I dislike self-flagellation. But to each their own.

But that said, it can be a very loooong stage. Like starting right after the plotting phase when I start to write, and right up to the very last edit hours before the deadline. By then I'm usually moving to the 'it's not my best but I don't hate it' stage. I like that stage marginally better.

Sue77

Registered
Reaction score
My PC isn't well and I'm still waiting for the engineers to call, but I did have a good writing day.

I managed about 700 words of a rough draft and nearly finished the opening section. And.. I'm really looking forward to getting back to it tomorrow.

I hope all's good with you guys.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
So, the plan for today was to sit down and make myself start something. (Had a false start earlier that went nowhere.)

Now the phone won't stop ringing - hang-ups, all of them.

And relatives are stomping around loudly grumbling and yelling at each other.

(And my sinuses are willfully and persistently sinusing again.)

Gah...

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
I have words. After faffing around for far too long, I made myself sit down this morning and put words down. And they're not horrible words either. I reckon my story is about 1/3 done. Then I got distracted discussing high school experiences and how useless high school seems to be these days with my eldest. *g* (both my kids are long out of high school) That discussion devolved into a discussion on CMEs... so, my story, where was I? *g* Just kidding. I know what happens next. My MC has to face the XXX and explain the situation, when they don't really know anything either. Fun times!

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I got some writing done! Nearly 1300 words. And I think this story might be ... good so far? I mean it's portentous and discomforting and I think it's going to be almost comically depressing, but it also feels kind of right. Like this is the story I want to inflict on 2020.

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't been posting here much, but I've got some words done. I tried one idea and it fell apart. This second idea is way cooler and it's only 500 words in, but I can already feel the momentum. I really like this conflict.

Weeeeeee, I should hang out here more with you guys. Good luck everyone! It sounds we're all going at a pretty similar pace.

Coddiwomple

shipwrecked in antiquity
Registered
Reaction score
Oh Gawd, I need to actually write something, don't I?

You too?

A certain unhousebroken dog has been taunting me mercilessly about my lack of progress, so I'm glad I'm not the only one who's having trouble starting. :(

Yes, Norm. I know writing about how I'm not writing does not count as writing. Suck it, fuzz-face.

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
I am also in the should-probably-have-started-by-now-ideas-still-percolating camp, hurrah for solidarity! My laptop has been finicky connecting to wifi so I haven't been around much, but I'm glad to see ideas are being had and words are being written.

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
I've just realized something. With Kev running this shindig, I don't have to worry about him guessing me right out of the starting gate!

Norman Mjadwesch

vacuous eyes, will bark at shadows
Registered
Reaction score
I got some writing done! Nearly 1300 words. And I think this story might be ... good so far? I mean it's portentous and discomforting and I think it's going to be almost comically depressing, but it also feels kind of right. Like this is the story I want to inflict on 2020.

Go, Alby! 2020 has inflicted enough on the world that maybe some payback is in order.

I’m still toying with too many ideas and have started writing all of them, although I’m pretty sure that Time is going to have something to say about that. Shifting from one to the other is kind of doing my head in and I feel like I’ve bitten off too much and need to zero my focus.

But!

I’m actually kind of happy with one of the secondary partials I’ve started, it’s just going to take some shoehorning to make it fit one of The Three Designated Prompts if I don’t knuckle down on the one I’m supposed to be writing.

Does posting here count as goofing off? Because that was why I logged on today. :)

Last edited:

armgrab

Registered
Reaction score
So here I was at the beginning, thinking this was going to be a short story. I am officially over 10,000 words. I think I might be past the halfway point?

...My heartfelt condolences to anybody who ends up having to read this monstrosity.

kinokonoronin

Purveyor of Madness
Registered
Reaction score
...My heartfelt condolences to anybody who ends up having to read this monstrosity.

:D I thought mine was a bit long at just under 10k. I think some of us will be delighted to read your story, whatever length it lands at.

Sue77

Registered
Reaction score
It looks like the pair of you are writing novellas! :snoopy: It's fab when a prompt gives you an idea that just takes off and develops into a super-long story. Exciting stuff.

I'm expecting to come in nearer the 5-6,000 mark, but time will tell. Sadly, I've found I've got more research to do.... :e2smack:

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Good to see some words flowing for some. :)

I'm around 3K and struggling a bit. Still stuck in the "my writing sucks, woe is me"-phase. To get unstuck I decided to just do my scenes out of order already because I'm having difficulty to tie the beginning together.

Frankly, and I never quite thought I'd say this: I'm having some issues with channeling my inner mad scientist. It's too reasonable (and polite and won't stop apologising for it. Ugh) I need more mad-hatter-mad for this. Maybe if there are more exploding erlenmeyer flasks, this all won't feel so dull.

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
A mad scientist who continually apologizes for being a mad scientist but makes no effort to stop being a mad scientist would be freaking hilarious!

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Agreed.

How's everyone doing?

I guess I started a couple times, two different things, and then sort of shelved things, but it being so hot here (are you surviving, Kevin?) I opened up the margarita mix and... like magic something started coming out of my fingertips

Is it a story? I have no idea. Is it fun? Oh hell yeah.

Sci sarah tops you said something I really 'felt' on the last page but that was a page ago and this margarita ain't drinking' itself. But whatever it was you said a few days ago, right on, sister!

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score