2020 Summer Solstice Sekret Sequel Something Speedround

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I actually have an ending I like! So I guess tomorrow is for fixing the scenes before the ending and then however much tinkering I can get through.

Looking forward to reading!

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
And for those who know me... yeah, it's got a cover. :)
I'd never thought of doing covers for short stories until Sisyphus :) I luuuurve making them now--it's like a reward once the story writing's done.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Hopefully I won't need the extra time; got two more scenes to revise and I'll be done, save picking out an excerpt. And I've crept up to over 16k words again... dang it...

Sue77

Registered
Reaction score
Mine should be sent later today. It's a long short story for me, but coming in at under 10,000.

I've really enjoyed writing it. šŸ˜

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
I just sent it in!

It's probably the roughest-written story I have ever sent in. (I noticed three errors alone in the excerpt I picked... I shudder to consider the state of the rest)

But at least it's Not-Terrible, which is a win, considering how much this story fought me. Will need plenty of work until it's actually presentable, though.

Good luck to those still working. You can do this.:)

Last edited:

Sue77

Registered
Reaction score
And it's sent.

I tidied it up, then I sat and read it out loud. Oh boy did I find plenty to sort out.

Now to rest and relax... Skyrim anyone?

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
HOKAY, stories are flooding in, we're on target for vaguely tomorrow-ish. Although there's def wiggle room, since I still have quite a few people I'm waiting on and setting up the Guessination thread is gonna be a major pain, so everybody try their best to get me a story by tomorrow and if you're a day behind or finishing up don't stress, more than likely the thread will be going up on Sunday but I'll attempt to hold my powder till I've heard from everyone.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Mine has been sent in. At just over 9000 words, it's the second-longest Sisyphus story I've ever done. It has a placeholder title, so if anyone who reads it can suggest a better one, I'll be grateful.

The story is SF but is horror as well by some definitions.

armgrab

Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's sent, and any typos and plot holes that are inevitably still in the final product will continue to haunt me until the day I die.

Writing!

kinokonoronin

Purveyor of Madness
Registered
Reaction score
Now to rest and relax... Skyrim anyone?

Alas, I am off my Skyrim kick. Seem to be on a Grim Dawn grind now. Enjoy!

Also, I know it's a bit premature, but in case I forget to do so later... a round of applause for Kevin's work organizing: :Clap:

Coddiwomple

shipwrecked in antiquity
Registered
Reaction score
Ah... it was the birthday cookies, slowing me down. Yeah, that was it! Certainly wasn't all that procrastination. No siree.

Kevin. Imma use that wiggle room to wiggle, wiggle, wiggle. So much wiggling.* I WILL have something to you, though. Promise!

:deadhorse

* and cringing and whinging

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
To all the last minute wigglers out there, you got this. Panic is the mother of invention! (That's the saying, right?)

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds about right. *nods*

Looking forward to breaking out the popcorn!

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Last word. Now just gotta go back fix a few things and replace the [[insert scintillating prose here]] tags with actual scintillating prose. There are 63 mins left in Saturday, Australia time!

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
You've arrived at Panic Station!

There. doneski. OMFG, this story. On the bright side, it's another Sequel story, and this one's actually finished. Finished stories are the best kind of story. Now I've just got to format the 11,500 word beast, and then I'll stop holding everyone up.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Still, waiting on a few stories. And it's still only Saturday, I don't want to here it with all this Aussie "Island of the Day Before" nonsense, when you agreed to participate you all signed an ironclad contract to abide by American West Coast time exclusively, both for the purposes of the event and in your IRL lives. So far Woollybear, Blinkk and BD have been good about it, rest of you not so much.

(Also, thx for the kind words from everyone, I'm blushing...)

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
In case it's not totally obvious, I'm in a bit of a last minute rush myself. Kind of, just a few more words to put together and I'm pretty relaxed because there are about five people I'm waiting on and every entry that shows up in my inbox I get a little bit closer to 'is finished'.

Funny thing is, I went WELL over 10k in total this year, just scattered around between five unfinished story that I abandoned in order to avoid writing a mini-doorstopper. Current story's both short and pretty rough, I keep feeling like its something that could be pretty interesting if I choose to expand on, remains to be seen if I'll have the energy or not, especially between WIP and with the true Sisyphus bearing down on us.

Sue77

Registered
Reaction score
Don't stress, Kevin.

We've all got your back and are just happy you found the time to write something.

:Hug2:

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
For me it's not so much panic as magical thinking -- as long as There's Still Time Left, I can make it perfect, right?

I've fixed the couple of things I made notes on while I was writing. I'm thinking what I'll probably do is do a listen-through for typos and anything egregious and then get it sent off. Barring the perfectionist magic actually working for a change. :flag:

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Pfft, perfection is overrated, Annie. Close enough for rock 'n' roll is my motto!