Hello, newbie writer here

grifter730

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all,

Stumbled into this forum kinda by accident, and I'm so glad I did, though it's a bit intimidating seeing so many successful writers on post on here honestly.

A bit about me, unlike most of you (I assume), I didn't grow up thinking I'd be a writer, or that I loved to write. I wrote for fun when I was in my 20s (I'm 40 now), just a few short stories, and had a go at writing a fantasy trilogy, but I never read up on the craft or anything, and just winged it, and I think I got around 50k words, and maybe 49k of it was garbage. I've been working on this book now for about 6 months actively, and I'm only about 15-20k into the first draft, but this time around I'm taking it seriously. I'm still having fun with it though! I wish I started much younger, but alas...

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to interaction with you fine folks!

Cheers!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So you had a thousand good words, then? Awesome!

Nice to meet you. We all start someplace, so where you are is just fine.

Maryn, glad you found us

kinokonoronin

Purveyor of Madness
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure that I've written a good thousand words yet.

Welcome grifter. Nice to have you!

grifter730

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all!

@regdog, I don't actually see a Share Your Work forum. Could be because I'm not at 50 posts yet. I'm not in any rush anyway, the idea of posting my work is terrifying. I would love to look at other people's writings though!

@Maryn, love the positive attitude! Cheers!

@kinokonoronin, I may have given myself too much credit there, lol. We'll all get there though!

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Grifter. Since you're half my age, I think you are starting young. :greenie

:welcome:, and keep on having serious fun.

jorlando

Registered
Reaction score
Six months actively doing anything is more than most. I have to remind myself daily the reason I write: for the fun of it. Looking forward to reading your writing.