I never know what to write in these things

armgrab

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,

You ever write a novel or a story you think is really good in the moment, then come back to it a few months later and think "wow, what garbage person wrote this crapterpiece?" That's basically been my writing career up to this point. I'm just now realizing I can actually do something about it.

So I'm looking to hone my writing craft, meet new writers, do some critiques and/or beta read, and hopefully turn this amorphous slab of social awkwardness into a published author. As for me, I write science fiction and fantasy, and I try to be funny along the way (try being very much the operative word). If my work makes you laugh at any point (intentionally), I consider that a win. So, yeah, looking forward to meeting and working with all of you. Um...

Yep.

Did I mention I'm socially awkward?

Oh, I did? Good, good.

-Armand Grabowski

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
Hello all,

You ever write a novel or a story you think is really good in the moment, then come back to it a few months later and think "wow, what garbage person wrote this crapterpiece?" That's basically been my writing career up to this point. I'm just now realizing I can actually do something about it.

-Armand Grabowski

Heh, I know that feeling well. Not so much these days but certainly when I was starting out. It's so hard to get past it, but giving and receiving critique really helps to hone your skills, as does writing short stories to set word limits, which taught me self-editing.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I daresay every member here knows that feeling, armgrab. (I love how your name shortened to such a good username.) Imposter syndrome is real, and we all have days where we think, hey, this is pretty good and days when it's a craptacular disaster we should be ashamed of, and what made us think we could be a writer?

So, good news, then: you are among your own kind! (Lots of social anxiety folks, too. Me among them.)

Maryn, pleased to meet you

kinokonoronin

Purveyor of Madness
Registered
Reaction score
(I love how your name shortened to such a good username.)

Good eye, Maryn. I hadn't even noticed that.

Welcome, armgrab! I'm sure you'll find a great source of personal growth in this community. Can't wait to read something you've written.

SundryHen

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Armand!

Oh, we have so much in common. I do get the feeling! Most recently, I've been working on an SF piece, I though it was amazing, humorous, fresh, bold, all that. Few months passed, and I felt like I should get back to it, started reading, and thought: Well, this is a stinky piece of poo. I attribute that to my mood at the time. I hope to feel more enthusiastic about it in the future.

And, I'm socially awkward, too! Yay for us!