Covid-19: Coronavirus July 2020

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
So, death panels.

It's a shame one of those evaluations sn't of a patient's social media history. If they posted that masks are fascism or that the attended a coronavirus party or Trump rally, it should count against you. I am almost sure I don't really mean that. But I despise the people who made this pandemic exponentially worse than it could have and should have been.
Feel free to mean it. They showed no interested in saving lives of other people, why shouldn't they be judged by the medical people whose lives they have made infinitely harder, as doctors and nurses had to do their best and still watch people die.
If it comes to rationing, there are plenty of other people who will need saving, who haven't done or said dangerous, stupid things.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Kimberly Guilfoyle -- Donald Trump Jr.'s girlfriend and top Trump campaign official -- tests positive for coronavirus
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/03/politics/kimberly-guilfoyle-positive-coronavirus-test/index.html

"She's doing well, and will be retested to ensure the diagnosis is correct since she's asymptomatic but as a precaution will cancel all upcoming events. Donald Trump Jr was tested negative, but as a precaution is also self isolating and is canceling all public events."
{...}
All of Trump's campaign staffers who worked on the rally in Tulsa were quarantining last week after interacting with several colleagues who later tested positive for coronavirus, CNN reported at the time.

Hubris at work.

-cb

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
New message for nation from White House: “Just deal with it.”

NBC News said:
After several months of mixed messages on the coronavirus pandemic, the White House is settling on a new one: Learn to live with it.

Administration officials are planning to intensify what they hope is a sharper, and less conflicting, message of the pandemic next week, according to senior administration officials, after struggling to offer clear directives amid a crippling surge in cases across the country. On Thursday, the United States reported more than 55,000 new cases of coronavirus and infection rates were hitting new records in multiple states.

At the crux of the message, officials said, is a recognition by the White House that the virus is not going away any time soon — and will be around through the November election.

As a result, President Donald Trump's top advisers plan to argue, the country must figure out how to press forward despite it. Therapeutic drugs will be showcased as a key component for doing that and the White House will increasingly emphasize the relatively low risk most Americans have of dying from the virus, officials said.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trump’s Justice Department Is Targeting Black Lives Matter Demonstrators as Domestic Terrorists

Vice said:
Forty-five years.

That’s how long Urooj Rahman and Colinford Mattis, two New York City lawyers, may spend in federal prison after throwing what authorities described as a Molotov cocktail into an empty New York Police Department car in the middle of an anti-police violence protest in late May.

Over the last week, both Rahman, 31, and Mattis, 32, have pleaded not guilty to seven federal charges, including arson and use of explosives. One of those charges is usually seen in cases of gang violence or terrorism, according Rahman’s lawyer, a former federal prosecutor.

Rahman and Mattis aren’t the only two facing federal charges in connection with the protests that erupted in late May after the police killing of George Floyd: VICE News has identified more than 70 cases where federal prosecutors filed criminal complaints in connection to the protests, including many where defendants have been charged with interfering with “interstate commerce” in some way — which lets federal prosecutors tackle a case rather than letting local enforcement handle it.

These cases represent an unusually harsh wave of federal prosecution for the kind of civil disturbances that career prosecutors say would normally be handled by more local jurisdictions. President Donald Trump’s Department of Justice has used tools developed to fight terrorists against those who stand accused of violence that has infrequently accompanied demonstrations against police brutality.

And these charges can come with lengthy prison terms.

For example, of the cases reviewed by VICE News, at least 12 involved situations where the defendants were accused of damaging property used in “interstate commerce,” such as a police car, or attempting to do so. In one case, in New Jersey, a 21-year-old accused of trying to light a cloth stuffed into a police car’s gas tank now faces up to 20 years in federal prison, according to government documents. In another, a 26-year-old who allegedly threw an accelerant on a burning cop car in Utah could spend a decade behind bars. He’s being held, without bail, until his trial.

Their big mistake was in not trying to sell out their country to foreign powers, and then lying to the FBI about it. I hear Barr has a soft spot for that kind of thing?

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Trump tweeted this earlier:

Cases, Cases, Cases! If we didn’t test so much and so successfully, we would have very few cases. If you test 40,000,000 people, you are going to have many cases that, without the testing (like other countries), would not show up every night on the Fake Evening News.....
followed by this...
...In a certain way, our tremendous Testing success gives the Fake News Media all they want, CASES. In the meantime, Deaths and the all important Mortality Rate goes down. You don’t hear about that from the Fake News, and you never will. Anybody need any Ventilators???
How can the GOP keep enabling this absolute mad man? I mean, I don't ever expect one of them to do the decent, moral thing. But selfishly don't they want someone saner in the Oval Office? They're all so (pretend) patriotic their flag pins. I hope they're all wearing white and blue today to go with the blood on their hands.

(The link button wouldn't come up for me, so if you have a craving for word salad and bile, go here: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1279487627977252864?s=20)

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
They love blood on their hands. Makes the money stick better...

Also, they've already determined that they don't need bodies at the ballot boxes when they can just lean on the levers from DC - or, heck, just declare an "emergency" and/or cry "fraud" and do away with voting altogether. So they really don't care what happens to the public, even their own base, because they believe (and are probably right) that they've compromised enough checks and balances to not be threatened by anything so mundane as the populace. As far as they're concerned, democracy was a fun game for a while but now it's over, they won, time to throw out the gameboard and play Authoritarian Monstrosity for a few generations. They've already made the first moves while the media and general public (and too many Democrats) are still blinking and wondering why they can't find their shoe game token on Park Place... and didn't they have a hotel somewhere? Surely they had a hotel...

I wish I could say I was being sarcastic...

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Last edited:

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
If there's one thing this whole COVID thing made clear to me is how much misinformation there is out there. Since the start of the empidemic the regional news have a fact check crew just to weed out the fake information concerning the virus and wow, it's been an eye-opener. I don't do much social media and I curate a lot of what I read online and suddenly am all the more glad for it, but some of the fake news were things I fell for because they had been shared by sources I had trusted. It's scary alright.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
I mean, I don't ever expect one of them to do the decent, moral thing. But selfishly don't they want someone saner in the Oval Office?

It started as playing the partisan politics game. He was going to become presidential (remember that one?) and every early sign he was never going to be were swept under the rug. Then things slowly went downhill from there. The process is a cross between the boiling frog principle and political survival by keeping in line.

Sorry, but a large number of decent people will have to die for things to change. A whole lot. Because the death count is a cold hard fact people will not be able to ignore.

-cb

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I posted yesterday that I was worried about family and friends in two of the worst-off states, FL and TX. Well, I can't quite believe this, but my husband's brother and his wife traveled (not sure yet if it was by car or plane) to TX to see our niece, her husband, and their 10-month old. I'm getting anxiety just looking at the pictures of them all snuggled up together and the grandparents kissing the baby. I...I'm aghast.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm getting anxiety just looking at the pictures of them all snuggled up together and the grandparents kissing the baby. I...I'm aghast.

It’s like people think of the response to this virus in very binary terms: We’re either in total lockdown, or we’re not. And if we’re not, we must be able to go back to pre-virus days, and all the things we did back then.

As you know, our state is relaxing to a much lower level of restrictions this week. I expect to see many people just abandoning masks and other precautions, and a spike in cases next month as a direct result. :cry:

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Remember this man has a pathological personality disorder. (Psychiatrists have written about it.)

He's breaking down. And since he really isn't intelligent and skilled, he's bouncing all over the place. But the ball is rolling in one direction, chaos.

His numbers are crashing. He knows he's going to lose the election. So his fantasies take over because those protect his fragile ego.
The virus will go away.
The virus won't affect most people (currently he's claiming it won't affect 99% of people).
He needs the economy to recover by November.​
He goes back and forth between 'everyone should just go back to work, masks optional' to 'it's up to the governors, aka not my fault'.

My opinion: This is not going to lead to a civil war. There are people lining up on two sides, with and against Trump. But these aren't armies. And the military is not behind Trump, not by a long shot. The only way Trump could stay in power after losing the election would be if the military supported him en masse.

No. The virus will get worse, sadly. And while Trump may keep his base, everyone else is peeling off as the hospitals fill and opening up the economy becomes an undeniable failure.

The hospitals are filling up. Trump might be able to deny reality and live in his fantasy world. In his past he walks away, files for bankruptcy, leaves everyone else footing the bill.

He can't do that this time. He is leaving everyone else footing the bill, yes, but he can't file for bankruptcy.

He's going to continue to rant and rave about Democratic fascists and Marxists. How long has it been since you heard the left called Marxists? But he can't make that imaginary reality real, no matter how hard he believes. That will cause him to break down further. We'll see this cycle for a while.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
My opinion: This is not going to lead to a civil war. There are people lining up on two sides, with and against Trump. But these aren't armies. And the military is not behind Trump, not by a long shot. The only way Trump could stay in power after losing the election would be if the military supported him en masse.

I'm wondering about the long-term trend, though.

If Trump loses (and the Senate goes down too), and it stands, there will be a lot of angry people--people who have gotten used to openly expressing their hateful views and having people in charge who validate them.

I don't think they're just going to quietly crawl back under their rocks or transform into decent human beings. We knew those people were out there before 2016, but the results of that election, and the behavior of these people after Trump's victory, made it clear they weren't just restricted to "that one crazy cousin" most families have. They make up more than a third of the US population, and they have platforms and recruitment tools they haven't prior to the 21st century.

I don't know that most of these people are full-blown fascists, but they are definitely authoritarians, or to borrow a phrase from Madeline Albright, proto fascists. They have steeped into our institutions. The police are rotten with proto fascists and their sympathizers. Look at how benignly they are responding to armed militants storming state capitals because, horrors, they are being asked to curtail optional activities and to wear masks during a freaking pandemic. Look at how the police cheer Trump when he tells them they should rough up suspects more. Their unions support Trump, in spite of the mess he has made of things. They have also worked with neo Nazis in pursuit of anti fascist protesters. Police also are refusing to enforce the Covid-19 laws, laws the POTUS opposes.

If it comes to violence in the street, we know who most of them will support. They already have.

I don't know about the military. I think the top brass are increasingly concerned about Trump and his goals and lack of leadership, but enlisted personnel and veterans seemed to love him for the most part in 2016. , even though he said things that were pretty darned disrespectful of veterans and former POWs. Still, some are getting cold feet. Hopefully, the troops are well disciplined and respect the oaths they took to uphold the Constitution more than Trump has. I mostly think they will, but it's possible some could rebel and side with the red hatters if things get really ugly in the streets. The police almost certainly will.

I'm worried about long term, though, because so much damage has been done to our institutions and sense of cultural purpose, in the decades prior to Trump. Biden means well, and there are signs he may be more to the "left" than he lets on. But I don't think he can fix most of what ails our society in one term.

Even if things settle down for a while, we will still have issues with stratification of wealth, the decline in many types of jobs (and it doesn't really matter if new jobs are created by technology if they are jobs that require lots of training and involve interests and inclinations most Americans lack), lack of faith in our public institutions, and increasing mistrust of experts and scientists in an era when scientific literacy is more important than it has ever been. And institutional racism is still part of the air we all breathe. Even if its swept back under the rug, it will smolder at the base of our institutional dung heap. And our cultural values are skewed in favor of monetizing everything--we think everything is about dollars and cents and we should treat everything as if it were a business.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
You are an optimist.

Just an observer of human nature and a trained engineer. I work with mathematical models. All. Day. Long.

If anything, Fauci is the optimist. Not me.

-cb

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Just an observer of human nature and a trained engineer. I work with mathematical models. All. Day. Long.

I'd think it was quite obvious by now that mathematical models have nothing to do with modern US politics.

Politics are about emotion, mythology, bias, and bigotry. This pandemic is a horror too big for most of us to hold in our minds as a whole, single occurrence. Even those who might dislike the current president may be inclined to forego the worst of the blame - because who could have believed it would be this bad?

His base will blame someone else (probably the protesters). What he gets blamed for by the voters - if anything - will just as likely be something entirely different by November. Hell, we can't even keep the news of him selling out troops in Afghanistan in the headlines for more than a day and a half.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I'm worried about long term, though, because so much damage has been done to our institutions and sense of cultural purpose, in the decades prior to Trump. Biden means well, and there are signs he may be more to the "left" than he lets on. But I don't think he can fix most of what ails our society in one term.

I have to agree on this. There were many who thought the troubling signs in the Shrub's reign would be fixed by Obama, that it would all just go away. It just went underground, festered, and exploded in countless malignant tumors in 2016. Even if - and, sadly, I think it's a longshot if - we get our blue tsunami in November, America doesn't just need a temporary cosmetic patch; the nation needs intensive chemo. And I just don't think there's the will or the attention span or sufficient power behind that for that to happen...

Don't get me wrong. I'm voting Biden and blue all the way down. I just see an awful lot of momentum carrying us over the edge of a cliff, and doubt we'll be able to cobble together wings in time to avoid the hard landing.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I have to agree on this. There were many who thought the troubling signs in the Shrub's reign would be fixed by Obama, that it would all just go away. It just went underground, festered, and exploded in countless malignant tumors in 2016. Even if - and, sadly, I think it's a longshot if - we get our blue tsunami in November, America doesn't just need a temporary cosmetic patch; the nation needs intensive chemo. And I just don't think there's the will or the attention span or sufficient power behind that for that to happen...

Don't get me wrong. I'm voting Biden and blue all the way down. I just see an awful lot of momentum carrying us over the edge of a cliff, and doubt we'll be able to cobble together wings in time to avoid the hard landing.

All we can do is our best. If I sounded pessimistic up thread, I still think there are good things and good people out there, and I hope for the best still. I just wish I knew what planning for the worst should entail for someone in my relatively privileged position, let alone for someone who is far less privileged than I am.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
TL;DR: Avoid catching this virus!!

Think a 'mild' case of Covid-19 doesn’t sound so bad? Think again

The Guardian said:
Conventional wisdom suggests that when a sickness is mild, it’s not too much to worry about. But if you’re taking comfort in World Health Organization reports that over 80% of global Covid-19 cases are mild or asymptomatic, think again. As virologists race to understand the biomechanics of Sars-CoV-2, one thing is becoming increasingly clear: even “mild” cases can be more complicated, dangerous and harder to shake than many first thought.

Throughout the pandemic, a notion has persevered that people who have “mild” cases of Covid-19 and do not require an ICU stay or the use of a ventilator are spared from serious health repercussions. Just last week, Mike Pence, the US vice-president, claimed it’s “a good thing” that nearly half of the new Covid-19 cases surging in 16 states are young Americans, who are at less risk of becoming severely ill than their older counterparts. This kind of rhetoric would lead you to believe that the ordeal of “mildly infected” patients ends within two weeks of becoming ill, at which point they recover and everything goes back to normal.

While that may be the case for some people who get Covid-19, emerging medical research as well as anecdotal evidence from recovery support groups suggest that many survivors of “mild” Covid-19 are not so lucky. They experience lasting side-effects, and doctors are still trying to understand the ramifications.

Some of these side effects can be fatal. According to Dr Christopher Kellner, a professor of neurosurgery at Mount Sinai hospital in New York, “mild” cases of Covid-19 in which the patient was not hospitalized for the virus have been linked to blood clotting and severe strokes in people as young as 30. In May, Kellner told Healthline that Mount Sinai had implemented a plan to give anticoagulant drugs to people with Covid-19 to prevent the strokes they were seeing in “younger patients with no or mild symptoms”.

Doctors now know that Covid-19 not only affects the lungs and blood, but kidneys, liver and brain – the latter potentially resulting in chronic fatigue and depression, among other symptoms. Although the virus is not yet old enough for long-term effects on those organs to be well understood, they may manifest regardless of whether a patient ever required hospitalization, hindering their recovery process.

Another troubling phenomenon now coming into focus is that of “long-haul” Covid-19 sufferers – people whose experience of the illness has lasted months. For a Dutch report published earlier this month (an excerpt is translated here) researchers surveyed 1,622 Covid-19 patients with an average age of 53, who reported a number of enduring symptoms, including intense fatigue (88%) persistent shortness of breath (75%) and chest pressure (45%). Ninety-one per cent of the patients weren’t hospitalized, suggesting they suffered these side-effects despite their cases of Covid-19 qualifying as “mild”. While 85% of the surveyed patients considered themselves generally healthy before having Covid-19, only 6% still did so one month or more after getting the virus.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Five Pinellas County Hospitals Reach ICU Capacity: Coronavirus

Five Pinellas County hospitals' intensive care unit availability have reached maximum capacity, according to the Florida Agency for Health Care Administration. This comes after the state saw a record spike of coronavirus cases over the weekend.

St. Petersburg General Hospital, Mease Dunedin Hospital, AdventHealth North Pinellas, Morton Plant Hospital and Northside Hospital in St. Petersburg are all at ICU capacity. The hospitals were reported on the Monday morning data list by the Florida Agency for Health Care Administration of as not having intensive care unit beds available.

The report shows that more Pinellas County hospitals are reaching close to max capacity, such as St. Anthony's. It reported as of Monday morning that its ICU availability was 3.39 percent. Mease Countryside Hospital has 11.54 percent of its ICU capacity left.

DeSantis still won't make a statewide mask order.

And St. Pete is where our family members who traveled to Texas are from. They put themselves at risk and are going home to an overwhelmed healthcare system.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
It's a shame one of those evaluations isn't of a patient's social media history. If they posted that masks are fascism or that the attended a coronavirus party or Trump rally, it should count against you. I am almost sure I don't really mean that.

I agree with this, and I DO mean it. I don't think it should be the ONLY criteria, but if doctors need a tie-breaker? Absolutely. There's plenty of precedent in the organ transplant field for denying treatment based on risk-taking behavior.

There is, however, one major weakness to this argument (as much as my gut clamors otherwise). With organ transplants, the behavior in question can negatively impact the outcome of the treatment, while with Covid-19, the negative impact of the behavior (infection) has already occurred, which means denying treatment based on the past behavior is more a moral judgement than a medical one and could potentially set a bad precedent. Unless there's additional risk (to the patient, I mean) of going maskless after the infection has already been contracted?

Ugh. I think I just talked myself out of agreeing with this, even thought I really, REALLY want to agree.

Does that make sense at all?

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I think Trump believes that 'harmless' or 'not so bad' is 'not actually dead'.

I don't think he believes anything one way or another. I think he's irritably trying to brush off the whole thing so people stop yelling at him about it, and telling his base it's "harmless" fires them up to help defend him.