US buys up world stock of key Covid-19 drug remdesivir

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/30/us-buys-up-world-stock-of-key-covid-19-drug

The Guardian said:
The US has bought up virtually all the stocks for the next three months of one of the two drugs proven to work against Covid-19, leaving none for the UK, Europe or most of the rest of the world.

Experts and campaigners are alarmed both by the US unilateral action on remdesivir and the wider implications, for instance in the event of a vaccine becoming available. The Trump administration has already shown that it is prepared to outbid and outmanoeuvre all other countries to secure the medical supplies it needs for the US.

“They’ve got access to most of the drug supply [of remdesivir], so there’s nothing for Europe,” said Dr Andrew Hill, senior visiting research fellow at Liverpool University.

Remdesivir, the first drug approved by licensing authorities in the US to treat Covid-19, is made by Gilead and has been shown to help people recover faster from the disease. The first 140,000 doses, supplied to drug trials around the world, have been used up. The Trump administration has now bought more than 500,000 doses, which is all of Gilead’s production for July and 90% of August and September.

“President Trump has struck an amazing deal to ensure Americans have access to the first authorised therapeutic for Covid-19,” said the US health and human services secretary, Alex Azar. “To the extent possible, we want to ensure that any American patient who needs remdesivir can get it. The Trump administration is doing everything in our power to learn more about life-saving therapeutics for Covid-19 and secure access to these options for the American people.”

I’m ashamed of my country.

Also, the stated reason (“ensuring any American patient who needs remdesivir can get it”) conveniently overlooks the $3,200 price, the number of Americans without health insurance, and the millions more this administration wants to make uninsured by destroying the Affordable Care Act that gives them health insurance.

Despicable.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Yeah, if nothing before this has made us unambiguously hideous, this spells it out pretty clearly. We are monsters.

Pastelnudes

Registered
Reaction score
It's also stupid. Does Trump think others will now share their breakthroughs?

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
This seems guaranteed to create suffering (and possible death) in other countries.

How is this not essentially an act of war against the rest of the world?

(Only half-kidding here...)

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/30/us-buys-up-world-stock-of-key-covid-19-drug

I’m ashamed of my country.

Also, the stated reason (“ensuring any American patient who needs remdesivir can get it”) conveniently overlooks the $3,200 price, the number of Americans without health insurance, and the millions more this administration wants to make uninsured by destroying the Affordable Care Act that gives them health insurance.

Despicable.

Well, Trump's well-off buddies can afford it, and in his eyes, that's 'everyone who counts'.
I read the Guardian article yesterday, but somehow it seemed wrong for a non-American to post it first, among a group of friends.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Gilead have agreed with generics manufacturers in India that they can make it for poorer countries. USA has bought up all the material that Gilead themselves make.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Gilead have agreed with generics manufacturers in India that they can make it for poorer countries. USA has bought up all the material that Gilead themselves make.
Good for Gilead! At least they, unlike Trump and his people, have some sense of decency!

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Good for Gilead! At least they, unlike Trump and his people, have some sense of decency!

Looks like this is the only decent thing so far and it has nothing to do with #45 and the reprehensible so-called Administration.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Spec Opinion Genre follows:

You have to wonder what was going on there given Trump and his payouts to cronies. But I suspect something else.

This drug isn't exactly a miracle cure. If I had to make a guess, I'd say someone who sold the supply to the US for big bucks knows full well a better drug is on the horizon. Just like Trump ordering the US to buy a huge supply of hydroxychloroquine, I'm picturing drug companies who really do know the 'art of the deal' getting an audience with Trump where they talked him into authorizing these big drug buys.

As for Gilead releasing the rights to a generic company in India, those producers don't just make drugs for India, they generally sell drugs all over the world. They probably have the capacity for large scale production. And could be they paid a nice sum to Gilead for the rights.

Last edited:

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Which is why in the US a week's dose is $3500.

Homemade face masks are much more affordable. Hand soap is even cheaper. Social distancing is free.

I shake my head at this attempt to try to solve an ever growing problem downstream when there are better solutions upstream - by limiting virus propagation in the first place.

-cb

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Homemade face masks are much more affordable. Hand soap is even cheaper. Social distancing is free.

All these things are true.

What's also true is Gilead got $70M of public money to develop this drug. Explain to me why we're paying for it again.

(The issue of US drug development is independent of Covid-19, although it overlaps in this case.)

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
All these things are true.

What's also true is Gilead got $70M of public money to develop this drug. Explain to me why we're paying for it again.

(The issue of US drug development is independent of Covid-19, although it overlaps in this case.)

Sounds like a pretty sweet deal for them, doesn't it? Something something about having a cake and eating it too.