Newbie Alert

Chelsea4711

Registered
Reaction score
Hi to all,
I'm a freshman in college and have no idea how this works but I love writing and writers even more. So, yeah. Still trying to navigate this thing. Now, where do I go to post my work and receive much needed criticism?

kinokonoronin

Purveyor of Madness
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Chelsea. A mod will reply to the thread with all the useful navigation stuff, so I'll leave that to them and just say:

Welcome!

I'm still rather new myself, but my understanding is that this is first and foremost a community. I'd say just wander around a bit, post in the subforums/threads that interest you, and try making some friends.

By the way, what medium or mediums do you write? (e.g. novels, screenplays, games, poems, etc).

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Let me pile some more welcome on top of what you've got.

It's a good idea to take the time to read the links in regdog's post; 99% of what you need to know to function here is in there, including the answer to your question about where to get feedback.

But I won't make you wait. The Main Share Your Work board is here, and it'll give you the basics. You'd then go to the boards of the genre in which you write and any that you read, where you'd read a bit to see what kind of feedback others provide, then offer up your own feedback on posts that aren't ancient.

Since we require 50 meaningful posts before you can put up your work for critique, doing five or ten critiques for others as part of those 50 is a real good way to get your feet wet.

Maryn, with jungle rot, her feet have been wet so long