HK: National Security Law & Its Impact (new post #15) (was: for HK has been Passed: 30 June 2020)

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
HK: National Security Law & Its Impact (new post #15) (was: for HK has been Passed: 30 June 2020)

The National Security Law that Beijing threatened to impose on HK has been imposed today, 30 June 2020. I didn't doubt it would be, but it doesn't make accepting this any easier. I'm basically just enraged and numb and upset.

The National Security Law makes four things a crime:

• Secession.
  • Subversion.
  • Terrorism.
  • Collusion with foreign and external influences to threaten national security.

In short: any action, speech, expression, collaboration with foreign and external businesses that are known to be anti-Beijing, can be seen as anti-government.

Therefore, these things can also be viewed as a crime.

But the huge problem here is that there's no details, there's no more information than all we've been given; the CCP hasn't released the full document. We're all in the bloody dark!

Joshua Rosenzweig, head of Amnesty International’s China Team, is right in what he has said. "The fact that the Chinese authorities have now passed this law without the people of Hong Kong being able to see it tells you a lot about their intentions. Their aim is to govern Hong Kong through fear from this point forward."

Rosenzweig has urged the international community to ensure Hong Kong authorities adhere to their own human rights obligations. I doubt the HK gov will listen. And I don't know that the international community can do anything to help; the HK Gov has proven that it doesn't care, especially the so-called Chief Executive, Carrie Lam (who has spectacularly failed the HK people).

As pro-democracy legislator Claudia Mo said a few days ago: “It is definitely the start of a new but sad chapter for Hong Kong. Hong Kong as we knew it is finally dead.”

https://hongkongfp.com/2020/06/30/breaking-hong-kong-national-security-law-passed-by-beijing/

Last edited:

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I'm so sorry, Snitch. I deeply wish HK could have its independence and be the country it wants to be (rather than a province of anyone else, Britain included). With the way China is consolidating power, I can't see that happening in our lifetimes.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm just going to go over here and cry a bit. Totally stressed out.

Mutive

Blissfully Clueless
Registered
Reaction score
It's so awful. I used to live there and worry about my friends who are still there. I wish there was something that could be done, but suspect there is not.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
The full law has been revealed (scroll down a bit for it): https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong...rity-law-day-defiance-protests-break-out-hong

Article 4:
Article 4Human rights shall be respected and protected in safeguarding national security in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region. The rights and freedoms, including the freedoms of speech, of the press, of publication, of association, of assembly, of procession and of demonstration, which the residents of the Region enjoy under the Basic Law of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region and the provisions of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights and the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights as applied to Hong Kong, shall be protected in accordance with the law.

How well has a version of this worked out on the Mainland? I think it's obvious how "trustworthy" the CCP has always been.

"National Security Law" my foot! Any dissension means people will disappear!
:rant:

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
So begins the "it violates the National Security Law" phase: voting for the election primaries who will be anti-budget may constitute a violation of the National Security Law.
https://hongkongfp.com/2020/07/09/h...-security-law-mainland-affairs-minister-warns

And the one-country two-systems thing is over:
https://hongkongfp.com/2020/07/12/goodbye-autonomy-welcome-to-hong-kong-china-and-we-mean-it-now/

Haven't given up, but still upset and so very tired. For now, I have no more words on this.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
I knew of the HK Gov pulling books written by pro-democracy authors, etc., but the book trade is still in the dark about how the National Security Law really affects them. However, I'm thinking that the effect will be the same as the Mainland: Any publication deemed* to be against the (Central) Government is banned.

*Deemed = whatever shifting definition the Central Government applies at any given time.

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/component/k2/1539100-20200722.htm?spTabChangeable=0