Indian term of endearment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for a term of endearment in an Indian language (probably Hindi, but I'm open to persuasion for the right word), something equivalent to "darling" or "dear" when used casually (or "love" in Britain). I want something suitable for a romantic relationship, but that is *not* particularly mushy or romantic.

Context is a woman saying to the fellow she's intermittently involved with something like, "Bob, dear, you're a good man, but what I want right now is for everyone to get out of my space for a while."

Currently my front-runners are "yaaraa" or "priya", but I know better than to pluck foreign words off the internet without running them past someone with at least a passing familiarity with the language. :) Any takers?

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
"meri jaan" or "jaanu" will suit what you are looking for.

"Yaar" (I don't think anyone pronounces it "yaaraa") might work too; it's a little more playful in the context of a romantic relationship, because it is usually used among friends or even with people you do't know, like "hey man" or "mate" or "buddy" or "dude".

In the context you describe, "meri jaan" would sound sincere, while "yaar" would have a bit of an irritated bite to it.

Disclaimer: I am not a native speaker of Hindi, far from it. I know there are a few who pop into AW from time to time, and I hope one of them will correct me if I've missed a nuance in the above. I am just barely proficient, if that: my credentials are a bunch of years learning the language by myself and with others, listening to a ton of dialogue (I've watched hundreds of films in Hindi; I used to write critical essays about them), and occasional text chats with Hindi- and Urdu-speaking friends -- with whom I often use terms like "meri jaan" and "yaar". :D

:e2coffee:

Last edited:

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I'd probably better give up on "yaar", then; the character does have a snarky streak, but I'm not sure she's got the energy for it at this point.

So, can "jaanu" be used to a casual acquaintance or even a relative stranger, the way for example an American store clerk might call anyone they're waiting on "dear"?

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Jaanu, in Gurmukhi, which is the script used for Punjabi and the Sikh holy texts, means "man." In Punjabi/Gurmukhi, the word you'd use to a stranger (or as an endearment) is either Jeeo or Ji (pronounced Gee), which means Soul and is a term of affectionate respect. this is what Sikhs, who are mainly Punjabi, say to other Sikhs they don't know, but they'll also use it in conversation with people they do know.

Not sure if Hindi uses this or not.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

- -

Last edited:

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting what Siri says about jaanu in Punjabi (Gurmukhi is a script, not a language; you can’t really say something “in Gurmukhi”). I had not heard that before. But there is a TON of regional variation — not just variation in languages, but variations in borrowings from languages — so for instance Hindi speakers in Delhi are heavily influenced by Punjabi while those in Mumbai have some influence from Marathi. The usages I am talking about are very general among speakers of Hindi and Urdu but there will of course be other usages. There are always many ways to address someone! And again, I emphasize that I am not a native speaker.

The only use of jaanu I know is an intimate one — I don’t think Hindi speakers would use it for a stranger, the way you would use yaar (as I described above). Hindi speakers do use “ji” as Siri described — roughly the way English speakers use Mr or Ms or Sir or Ma’am. For instance I called one of my teachers Naseem ji; my friend calls my mother Aunty ji. (“Saab” is another word used in a similar way.)

“Meri jaan” literally means “my life,” but as I said above it’s used the way English speakers use (or at least once used) “darling” — a term of endearment for someone very close to you, a lover, an intimate friend, a child. “Jaanu” is a diminutive form of it — thus even more intimate. One wouldn’t use it with a stranger.

With a stranger, more formal than the rather familiar “yaar”, one might use “bhai” (brother) or “bhai saab,” or “uncle” or “aunty” if you’re addressing someone older than you are. Like “ji” and “saab,” if you are also using a name, these come after the name.

:e2coffee:

Last edited:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Correct, Gurmukhi is a script and can be used for many languages. (I've seen it used for English.) However, I know how Sikhs use the word strictly because I can read the script as used in the Siri Guru Granth Sahib. ("Sahib," btw, is Punjabi for the Hindi "Saab.") I've never heard the word used by Punjabi speakers...unless they were speaking so fast I didn't catch it, which is most of the time.

Saab or Sahib is a bit over the top and hierarchical as a term of respect. You don't usually used it as an endearment. You use it for very respected members of the community or someone who is older than you. But yes, you can use it with strangers.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
(I was going to propose 'meri jaan' -- I'm nowhere near as knowledgable as Lakey, but - I had been thinking to pop that into this thread...)

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, all! Sounds like "meri jaan" probably has more of the connotation I want; I'm only kicking a bit because it doesn't fit the rhythm of the sentence very well. (Silly writer.) But please, carry on discussing; languages are neat!

Status
Not open for further replies.