July 2020 Challenge - Write Every Day!

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Bit of a driveby

856 words done on Dustworld.

Finished reading through the first chapter of Demon Hunter. Mostly OK.

Last edited:

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Keithy, congrats on your 956, and the read-through
Nice work with the 362 aurora
April, much feelz - hope you get some good sleep :)

Day 9

WIP - added words
R/SC - washed my work-pants and my bandana (mask) because it was just soooo sticky today. Odds are good I'll be wearing them damp tomorrow, but better damp with clean water than damp with 13 hours of sweat and workshop dirt…
BP/$$ - job, 13 hours; reached out to another person for assistance with a project

-

Last edited:

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Day 8 - 200 words? That sounds good.
Day 9 - a solid 400, reworking/typing the longhand scene from Day 4.

Teenage Austin has just snuck out of the house to hunt vampires, and big sister Dallas is tailing her. They're about to meet... And then I got distracted by a video of Glen Campbell playing "The William Tell Overture" on the guitar. Dayum, that man had talent.

April - have some ZZZZZs. :sleepy: And happy dreams. :e2fairy:

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Aurora – that’s a good 362 words.
April – keep well. Be back tomorrow all bright eyed and bushy tailed.
Layla – more words is good.

My progress today

1074 words done on Dustworld/

Read through the second chapter of Demon Hunter.

Keep swimming!

Last edited:

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Layla: Yay for words! Mask-wearing is compulsory here in shops and public transport from today. Judging from how many naked mouths and noses I saw yesterday, this is going to be a big effort for a lot of people.

Pterofan: Nice progress! I had very weird dreams ... which is par for the course.

Keithy: Excellent work. Enjoy that 1k club.

aurora: Congrats for finishing!

Thanks for all the snoozy thoughts, folks. I feel considerably more human today, which is nice. As for progress, not much to report, except for twiddling around with a book description. But I'm about to plunge back into the quagmire that is Book 3.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
I corrected some spelling mistakes on a few draft chapters, cleaning up the text before I insert the new material. Might edit the first half of this book before I start writing the second one.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Officially at the end of my car-bubble drive ... and did not interact with anyone, woot! We have groceries delivered here. All nice, all of it, and quarantined.

Getting back into writing now. Have smoothed the first 5000 words of the 3rd draft, today. If I do 5000 words per day during this three-week travel, I'll make it through the 3rd draft by the end of the month.

Will catch up with y'all tomorrow or Sunday.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Aurora – nice 372. They all count.
April – got to it! Book 3 awaits.
Taylor – oh inserting fresh material sounds difficult. Will it affect the plotting?

Today’s progress

732 words done on Dustworld.

I did some more reading on Demon Hunter. I keep fiddling with it instead of reading and checking for plot structure. And I also need to regulate what I’m doing every day (“some” isn’t helpful).

Keep at it, folks.

Last edited:

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
aurora, congrats on the 372, and the finishing!
April, glad to hear you’re feeling more rested. (My state is doing better than all the others with this virus thing, apparently. We’ve had mandatory masks for about two months)
Taylor! Good to see you - keep up the good work :)
Ptero, hope you get that done with time to spare :)
Hey woolly, good to see you, congrats on keeping with the work while travelling!
Keithy, congrats on the new work and the read-through. Hope the homesick feeling passes soon

Day 10

WIP - added words
R/SC - groceries
BP/$$ - some housemate emails; job, 8 hours

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Taylor: Nice work proofing.

Pterofan: Good luck with the deadlines!

Woolly: Yay for not interacting with anyone!

Keithy: Nice work. Aw, sorry to hear you're feeling homesick. Hopefully it won't be long until you get back across the water.

Layla: Woo for the words and living in a sensible state!

aurora: Nice work!

I edited two chapters yesterday. They were okay, I guess ... there's still a spark missing with this book though.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Keithy: This is the first I am hearing of demon hunter. I am curious now.  Congrats on the words, regardless of regulating your output.

Layla: Congrats on the words and the $$; glad you have groceries.

Aurora: Great job on the words!

April: Well done on the editing. That spark will appear.

Pterofan: Congrats on paid work—very good thing.

Taylor: Good job whipping those words into shape.

K. Robert: Awesome on the 17,000 words.

Kerry: Yes, I will scoot over to SYW. Good luck with the heist—and congrats on your word count. Impressive.

Emojis are working! :partyguy: :banana: :banana: :snoopy:

Me: Day two of my 'writing retreat,' (long but very isolated visit with a relative), 7500 words polished today (2500 above the daily target). I'm through chapter 3, have tightened out 500 words or so overall, and delighted to feel like the first three chapters are hanging together pretty well.

The later chapters will be rougher to get through. Debating pushing forward, so I can buy myself a credit for a day off for later, but I think I shouldn't. Instead, after a writers' group meeting which starts in an hour, I'll dabble around with chapter 8 again which is due for next week's writers' club.

Last edited:

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Day 10 - 194 words

Going to go write something now. Or maybe just stare at the screen for a while and then watch Justice League.

In better news, I'm almost done with the assignment and will have it out the door tomorrow, no problem. Too bad I got a second one on Friday I haven't had time to start yet...

Enjoy the rest of the your weekend! I suspect I will be drinking lots of tea. :e2coffee:

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
aurora congrats on the 430
April - congrats on the editing & the keeping at it
woolly, congrats on going beyond your goal - sounds like a good retreat

Day 11

WIP - added words,
R/SC - some chores
BP/$$ - job, 5.5 hours, one housemate phone call, some housemate messages

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Layla – well done your words and pages. I’d say keep at it but you’re doing that already.
April – editing is good! You’ll find that spark I’m sure.
Woolybear – that sounds like a lot of polishing! Demon Hunter is about an alien girl (Shana) who ends up on a medieval-style planet where they summon demons to fight wars. The Demon Hunters are supposed
to keep this dangerous business under control.

My work today:

305 words done on Dustworld.

Non-writing

Bought some plants and some other bits for the house. The plants have been planted today. The rest? No idea.

Last edited:

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
aurora: Keep at it!

Keithy: Nice progress.

Layla: Woo words!

Pterofan: Congrats on hitting the deadline--and good luck with the next :)

Woolly: Great progress. Sometimes a change of scenery can make a big difference.

I edited 3 chaps yesterday, and they weren't too tragic. I'm pushing through to the end so I know how much new material I need to add in. One character in particular still needs soooooo much work. I think I need to sit down and interview him or something.

FletcherHavarti

Registered
Reaction score
From February through June, I set a rule for myself that I would write *something* every single day, no exceptions. Even if it was just a paragraph, it had to be something. I was able to complete a first draft of a novel by making steady progress. It's amazing how much you can get done if you make time every day, even just a little bit. After a short break, I am starting to get feedback from beta readers and will now be setting aside time to edit and address feedback. Every day. :)

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Quick check in--I did not think I could pull it off today, but managed the 5000 words polished plus about 200 to spare.

Hope to do better tomorrow, finish earlier in the day and catch up with y'all.

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Day 11 - at least 170 words

Got the assignment done and out this afternoon. I'll start the second one tomorrow. I'm trying to finish a library book so I can take it back tomorrow. With that out of the way and the new assignment's longer deadline, I should be able to fit more writing in.