Medieval fairs, and seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I’m looking some idea about what kind of seasonal markets would happen in late summer. (I would use horse-fair, my limited research makes it seem that those happened in spring becase horses fetched the highest price then)

TIA :)

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Depending on the climate, farmers markets have the most local produce in late summer.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Lammas. Also called Lughnasadh.

If you look into pre-Christian belief systems in your story's location, you'll find at least the major days of celebration and the commerce that comes with everyone being in the same place for the holiday.

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score

These are not the same; they're really not. Yes, the timing is similar, but it's like calling Hanukkah and Christmas the same.

Lammas literally means loaf mass. It's Christian; it takes place on August 1.
Lughnasadh (OI) is also around August 1, but the two are not directly related. (I say around because earlier calendars tie it to celestial cycles).

Medieval holidays are dependent on two thing; time and place. Horse fairs are going to be tied to culture and time; Samain or Samhain was associated with equin sports and trade, for instance. There are traditional horse fairs in English and Ireland, and elsewhere in Europe, often closely associated with the Rom.

jennontheisland

Registered
Reaction score
These are not the same; they're really not. Yes, the timing is similar, but it's like calling Hanukkah and Christmas the same.

Lammas literally means loaf mass. It's Christian; it takes place on August 1.
Lughnasadh (OI) is also around August 1, but the two are not directly related. (I say around because earlier calendars tie it to celestial cycles).

Medieval holidays are dependent on two thing; time and place. Horse fairs are going to be tied to culture and time; Samain or Samhain was associated with equin sports and trade, for instance. There are traditional horse fairs in English and Ireland, and elsewhere in Europe, often closely associated with the Rom.

Given the Christian habit of co-opting existing holidays for their own, it makes sense to me that Lammas is the Christianized version of Lughnasadh, just as Christmas is their version of Yule. Yes, I read the wiki. I see that Lammas is about bread. Lughnasadh is about the first grain harvest and we make bread with grain. I suppose one can ignore the similarities if they want.

As I said, find the holidays, you find the times when people are together. Bringing people together for more than a few hours, whether for religious or cultural reasons, results in commerce. OP was looking for a late summer market. I suggested a time and occasion when one might occur.

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Given the Christian habit of co-opting existing holidays for their own, it makes sense to me that Lammas is the Christianized version of Lughnasadh, just as Christmas is their version of Yule. Yes, I read the wiki. I see that Lammas is about bread. Lughnasadh is about the first grain harvest and we make bread with grain. I suppose one can ignore the similarities if they want.

The Wiki entry is not great.

The idea the Christians co-opted Pagan holidays is kinda true, but mostly not in the way it's presented.

Once reason that it's problematic to conflate Lughnasa and Lammas is that Lammas is a Christian holiday that borrows from Germanic (not Celtic) customs.

Forgive me for being pedantic, but this is my academic field; so I care a great deal.

jennontheisland

Registered
Reaction score
Forgive me for being pedantic, but this is my academic field; so I care a great deal.

I know. :) And I figured you'd pick my nits, because you know the details so well, but my intent was to offer a higher level, more zoomed out, suggestion in response to the OP's request for late summer markets. I assumed it was northern european in setting though, so my offerings may have been entirely useless anyway.

Averhoes

Registered
Reaction score
In Medieval Europe, fairs and markets were not exactly the same thing.

A market happened frequently, and was usually a one-day event usually every week. Most goods available would have been local produce and "necessities".

A fair happened in a community once a year. It was licensed by the crown (in England). It was frequently or usually found in a cathedral town or associated with an abbey. While one could find necessities and foodstuffs at the fair, the goods for sale include luxury items and imported goods. A fair attracted "real" merchants while a market attracted local farmers and craftsmen. A fair lasted a number of days, in contrast to the one-day market.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Hey AWers - thank you

My location is fictional.

I'm definitely looking for events that qualify as 'fairs' - a kind of small city that sets up for multiple days of trade once a year, something that people might travel to from all over thier country.

The other thing I've read is that there were fairs that specialized in a certain kind of product, the best known being horses. I've read that there were fairs specializing in other products (I think I read, farm equipment, ewes, (maybe geese?) but I couldn't find out anything on when these markets occurred.

I'm trying to find some kind of 'seasonal market', or fair focused on a product (as opposed to existing only in honor of a saint) in late August. (and actually, kind of for my curiosity, any kind of non-horse fair)

(I wish the libraries were open...)

Thanks to all for your posts :)

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Google

oenach Tailltiu (Modern Áenach Tailteann, Aonach Tailteann)

Teltown Fair

The Tailteann Games

Tailtin Fair

lonestarlibrarian

senior bean supervisor
Registered
Reaction score
From Gervase Rosser - Medieval Westminster 1200-1540-- chapter 4 is entitled "Fairs and Markets."

The Great Fair of St. Edward

Trading was carried on in Westminster from the early Middle Ages onwards; but it changed dramatically in character between the ninth and sixteenth centuries. In the mid-Saxon period Westminster appears to have taken part in the international commerce focused upon Lundenwic; in the thirteenth century a great cosmopolitan fair gathered here each year. In the later Middle Ages, however, this international role was lost; after the early fourteenth century Westminster's enduring importance was as a centre of purely local marketing.

The archaeological evidence indicative of trading activity in Westminster in Saxon times strongly suggests that the fair which Henry IIIO promoted here had its origins at a much earlier date. Both the royal court from the eleventh century onwards, and the religious community from a previous period, may have encouraged such commerce. Nevertheless, the mid-thirteenth century seems to reflect a significant extension of the importance and prestige of the Westminster fair. It was in 1245 that the monks of Westminster received from King Henry their first charter to hold two annual fairs, each of three days, espectively about the deposition (5 January) and the translation (13 October) of St. Edward the Confessor. In 1248 the period of the latter fair was extended to a fortnight. In addition, the business of all other fairs held throughout England at this time of the year was suspended; and all the shops of London were closed for the duration of the fair by royal command. The chronicler Matthew Paris makes clear that the king's dual intent by these grants was both to provide additional financial aid to the great work of rebuilding Westminster Abbey, which was taken over by the crown at this very date, and at the same time effectively to tax his recalcitrant subjects, the citizens of London. The extravagant gifts of money and of 'a highly precious vase', which the Londoners were prepared to offer to the king for the remission of the fair, are the first indications of its significance. All remonstrance, however, was in vain: 'whether they would or no', In October the traders of London must make their way to Westminster for the fair of St. Edward.

It is apparent from the vivid account of Matthew Paris that little thought had been given to the practicalities of officially establishing Westminster as on of the great annual fairs of western Europe. The site, the abbey churchyard, was far too small for the attending crowds, and did not even provide covered stalls, an inconveniences aggravated by torrential rain. The keeping of a major fair so late in the year may be explained in part by the need to avoid infringement of the privileges of existing fairs, in part by the inordinate devotion of the monarch to his adopted patron saint, reckless of the inclement season of that saint's feast. Crushed, drenched, and muddied, the unhappy merchants wished themselves at home by their hearths, among their families. After three years of such discomfort, it was decreed that the fair should be removed from the churchyard to Tothill. Ecclesiastical censure of the desecration of holy ground may also have affected this decision; in 1285 Edward I would legislate (ineffectually) against the keeping of fairs in churchyards. But in fact at Westminster there is no evidence that the transfer was ever made; indeed, the marshy fields of Tothill (a 'hill' in little but name) must have appeared an even less suitable venue for an international mart than the cramped, but at least better drained, gravel soil of the churchyard. Here, then, the October fair remained. In 1298 the fair in early January (even more hopeful of the climate in its conception than the other, albeit equally pious) was discontinued, the autumn event being prolonged to a total of thirty-two days. The latter had become established as a fixed point in a cycle of fairs, to which merchants travelled in turn: from St Ives (easter), through Boston (June), Winchester (August), and Westminster (October) to Northampton (November)...

etc, etc, etc.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The towns of Champagne, strategically located on the overland trade route between the Netherlands and Italy (& more generally between northern Europe & the Mediterranean region), were a major hub for the medieval cloth trade, and the towns there had a cycle of cloth fairs, each one lasting over 6 weeks. They were roughly linked to holidays the Church calendar. All the valuable trade goods of the day passed through there, not just cloth, & a lot of money too. Since the fairs lasted so long, there were designated portions for cloth, for leather, for spices & other goods, & for final reckoning & balancing the books -- though the timeframes were not strictly enforced. The Wikipedia article is a good place to start.

There were lots of fairs in the Netherlands too. And here's a book: Shaping Medieval Markets: The Organization of Commodity Markets in Holland ca 1200-ca 1450 by Jessica Dijkman. Chapter 2 is called "Fairs," and has a lot of information.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Harvest fairs in Fall, Spring fairs for the planting. shearing, birthing, just because it's not Winter, etc. Fit your fair to your location and story. Heck, it could be the Armistice Fair, Midsummer's Eve fair, Lilith fair... :)

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.