How would super strength actually work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
In cases where the answer isn't simply "it's magic". I'm curious what the physical characteristic of someone who is inhumanly strong without weighing 500 kilos would be like.

Obviously the muscle fibres need to able to apply much more force, which means they must withstand much more force. But wouldn't the bones they're attached to need to be tough as steel as well? Would a superhuman weigh much more than a human of the same size? Would they feel abnormal to the touch? Or would they feel normal until they flex, at which point they feel like solid marble?

Does anyone have the scientific knowledge to give some thoughts on this?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We've had some weird discussions at our house over the years, and this is one of them.

Everything that is involved in a physical act of super-strength has to be stronger than on a healthy, reasonably strong person the same size. Bones denser, or infused with some other-worldly mineral that adds strength but not much weight. Tendons and ligaments both stronger and better attached. Muscle fibers able to super-contract, opposing muscles super-stretch. Is that otherworldly? Because if you don't bring in aliens or magic, you can only resort to adding muscle mass.

I think the skin would seem normal, with the usual layer of fatty tissue under it, and the muscle beneath it, when at rest, just like any other strong person's. But that's just playing with facts as they work in the real world.

TL;DR Nobody knows.

Maryn, not much help but earnest

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, I think you'd need to define what "super" strength means. Wikipedia says that the 2018 winner of the annual "World's Strongest Man" competition dead-lifted 1047 pounds. Is "super" strength twice that? Ten times?

As you say, at some point biology fails -- flesh, joints, bones fail. I guess what a "non-biological" "man" would feel like to touch depends on what you want to imagine they're made of. Do you want them to feel like a machine? Are they made of tropes like "nano-machinery", that can mimic the feel of flesh by knowing how much to "give" when you touch them?

At some point, matter fails -- can't handle the application of extreme forces. What then? Is the "super man" made of pure fields?

When does this cross the line into magic? I guess when you want to write and market it as fantasy rather than SF?

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Works just like on TV. Superman is chained to an overhead pipe. Superman pulls down, bending the pipe and breaking the chain. Never mind physics, where he'd just do chin-ups and lift himself off the floor. :)

Jeff

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I remember years ago reading a set of quotes from "old school" superheroes - the guys who'd been on TV in the 70's. One of them was the 6 Million Dollar Man, who was an augmented human. The actor said he'd always wondered why his super-strong arms and legs didn't shatter his human spine when he lifted a car. He decided it had to do with adrenaline, like a tiny, 100 lb. mother who stops a car from crushing their child. When his super-stuff kicked in, so did his adrenaline. That was his internal continuity to suspend his disbelief. As long as you make it plausible, the reader can accept it.

It's also worth noting that bones can take A LOT of weight individually. I also remember in high school we watched a controlled experiment where they put a literal car on a vertical femur, which held the weight, then showed the same femur shatter to a thrown bowling ball. that hit it on its front face. How the super distributes the weight they're holding matters. Angle of impact, joints, etc.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
I know one thing about this general topic, in regard to the jaw strength of primates. Some primates, such as gorillas, have a ridge on their skulls that allows attachment of larger, stronger jaw muscles, as these muscles. Presence of such a ridge indicates extremely powerful jaws.

(I know this because I was lucky enough to visit the Smithsonian’s Museum of Natural History with someone who studied medical anthropology, and they explained about this while we walked past displays of primate skeletons. As I recall, they said the larger muscles need that extra surface area to attach to or else they’d just tear off of the skull.)

Here it is, the sagittal crest: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sagittal_crest

Others have already pointed out that bones relate to muscle strength, so I’m not really adding new info so much as more detail.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I've been told that apes generally have much more powerful musculature than humans because the angle of attachment of their long muscles allows them to exert more force and utilize more leverage than a human, even without extra muscle bulk or significantly bigger bones. That's why an average-size chimpanzee who doesn't look particularly muscly can rip a human apart limb from limb without half trying if it's in a bad mood.

Status
Not open for further replies.