I think what Sage said is key. The MC can receive advice from adults or not, and accept or reject it, depending on the needs of the story. While my MC in The Glare is alienated from both her parents in a very teenage way, she likes her stepmother and does listen to her advice.

But in a YA book, that advice canít solve the MCís conflict. It might help inspire a solution, but the actual solution must come from the MC, often with help from the supporting teen cast. My feeling is that in YA books, the reader has to know the problems are too big to be solved by the adults in the MCís life. Sometimes those adults even caused the problems and have to be vanquished in some way. There has to be a strong sense of the MC standing on their own and learning to evaluate advice and potential mentors based on what they know of the world firsthand. MG books sometimes also convey this sense of independence, but itís key to YA books.

Thinking about something like Star Wars might be helpful. Luke certainly listens to Ben and Yoda, but he resists or fails to understand parts of their teaching, and when itís time to act, heís very much on his own and does make mistakes that he and his friends then have to solve. The conflict is too big and complicated to be resolved by just following advice.